Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2011, 06:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Young,Experienced, and finally got the money to do this

Finances- 50,000 at most would like to only use around 30,000

Go big or Go home haha

I have experience in lawnceae and golf course maintance for around 4 years now.

I was wanting to start this a couple of years ago buf finacnces wouldnt alow it however i know have a 50 grand due to a death in the family.

If you where what would you do to start a Full law care, i have irrigation resorces, landscaping and snow plowing resources also.

So basically my question. Where to start.have

I have done hours apon hours or reseach...i basicaly dont know where to put my money to get the most back out of it.

Thanks for any input
Old 03-27-2011, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your market will determine where the smart investment is... Start advertising, start working and when you realize you have jobs that call for a piece of equipment, then buy it...

Do a lot of rentals on equipment when possible, just so you get to know what you like or dislike b4 you buy... good luck...
Old 03-27-2011, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Start with the basics.. get a 36 or 48 walk behind mower. a trimmer, blower and a small trailer. that will probably be at about the 10k range than start advertising like smallaxe said read up on these forums lots of different ways to advertise and some work better for different people.. get some business cards and tell everyone.

2000 Ford F150
6.5 x 10 Open Trailer
Exmark Metro commercial 48"
Bobcat Ransome 48"
Husqvarna 128LD attatchment system
Stihl BR550
Stihl BG65
Stihl 034AV
8hp Little Wonder Walk Behind Blower
8hp Leaf Loader.
Tons of hand tools
Old 03-27-2011, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what do you have to work with so far?...do you have a truck or anything...there's no need to spend more than 5k to start out...depends on what you have i guess...i started using about 3k but i already had a truck, pushmower, trimmer, and blower...all i had to buy was a mower and a trailer...there's no need to start out with a 10k-15k mower when you only have a few customers...start small and build your way up as needed
Old 03-27-2011, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I would buy a few old 90's F-250s for maybe 4 grand apiece. Then trailers and new 36" BOP Quick walk behinds for the 3 rigs. Then 3 Honda HRC216s for the 3 rigs, great mowers. Then a few Stihl or Shindaiwa trimmers like a FS-90R or a T-242. Then a Stihl BR-600 backpack blower for each crew, to help with leaf cleanups. Then use the remaining few thousand to buy 40,000 door hangers from www.doorhangersetc.com and you should get around 300 clients. With those rigs your two man crews should be fast enough to knock out 20 lawns a piece a day. Run 3 crews at 100 Lawns a week each thats 300 lawns weekly. Average $35 a cut thats $10,500 a week. Figure a 36 week season and you have $378,000. At 30% profit margin that still pays you over $110,000 for a 36 week season.

Sounds easy right?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTC1187 View Post
I would buy a few old 90's F-250s for maybe 4 grand apiece. Then trailers and new 36" BOP Quick walk behinds for the 3 rigs. Then 3 Honda HRC216s for the 3 rigs, great mowers. Then a few Stihl or Shindaiwa trimmers like a FS-90R or a T-242. Then a Stihl BR-600 backpack blower for each crew, to help with leaf cleanups. Then use the remaining few thousand to buy 40,000 door hangers from www.doorhangersetc.com and you should get around 300 clients. With those rigs your two man crews should be fast enough to knock out 20 lawns a piece a day. Run 3 crews at 100 Lawns a week each thats 300 lawns weekly. Average $35 a cut thats $10,500 a week. Figure a 36 week season and you have $378,000. At 30% profit margin that still pays you over $110,000 for a 36 week season.

Sounds easy right?
You make it sound so easy.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I try bro lol
Old 03-28-2011, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If I was in your position would get only what you absolutely need. One truck, one trailer, your basic lawn maintenance equipment, advertising revenue, fert license, other applicable licenses then save the rest as a cushion for if you need additional growth.

Basically just get what you need and advertise like crazy.

If I had 50k where I am right now, I could do some sick growth with my experience
Old 03-28-2011, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Take a step back....

Go to the local Small Business Center and have them help you put together a small business plan that projects at least three years out. The key will be in the market research. If you can come up with a plan that would pass the straight faced test with a commercial lender then you probably have the discipline to do it profitably....do it right. Pretend it ain't your money.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Sponsor

When you decide to order print advertisements - door hangers, post cards, business cards etc. Call our office and speak to our customer service rep. Our Band-It Stick-It products are more secure for distribution & more effective at bringing you a higher ROI. We offer Full color printing - Free Custom design packages & our pricing is very competitive with other companies & often a savings to buy with us.

Request free samples of our products: www.AdeasPrinting.com/free-samples

or email us your request for a quote or to see samples of designs we have available.
stickit@adeasprinting.com

Thank you Lawnsite Members!

Adeas Printing
www.AdeasPrinting.com
866-778-4254