The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2011, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How can you make any money?

http://muskoka.kijiji.ca/c-services-...AdIdZ270441245

Honestly? Is this guy nuts??

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow. How do you compete with that, other then hope he gets full so everyone else can make some money. Bad deal if that knucklehead is in your area.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you look on Craigslist there are several ads for Bobcat's with operators for $40.00 to $50.00 an hour. Allot of them are not even charging anything to bring the machine out. Now to give you an example in my area. A neighbor on the back side of one of our farms wanted me to come over and look at some grave he had dumped on his driveway. He wanted me to scoop it up and dump it in the bad holes. Now the guy for one only ordered 10 ton of gravel for a driveway about 200' long and with bad pot holes everywhere. I told him you did not order near enough gravel for your drive but if you want since your a neighbor I will scoop up the gravel and try to fill in as many holes I can. I told him I would charge him $75.00 to do it since I could drive my machine there and back. I figure I would have a total of an hour wrapped up in it from the time I left the farm till I got back. The guy said he would have me do it. The day came to do the job and the guy canceled. I have past by since and looks like the gravel had been moved around by someone I am guessing for less. To top it off he hunts in our woods for free each year and has got several deer out of there. In this area excavating rates are terrible. I will let my machines set than work them for less.

Last edited by Fieldman12; 03-28-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

current exchange is £1 =$1.6

over here we get inc driver
£150 a day 1.5 ton
£250 a day 3 ton
£400 a day jcb 3cx/ 8 ton kubota
£500 a day for 13 tonner

£40 a day for 3/6 ton dumper. £8 a ton muck away

id love to be other your side getting $100 an hour, red diesel here is .65p a litre(red is less tax for machines and tractors) white diesel is 1.40/litre im doing £100 a week in my truck and 80 hour weeks.

but im lucky that i bid on price not hours and as we do everything ourselves, excavation, grading, drainage, reinforced concrete work, concrete finishing, stone work, brick work, asphalt, landscaping etc, mowing, pasture work, fencing, sheet pilling, etc
Old 03-28-2011, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

i saw that fool and just laughed. As soon as he shows up to the job he starts losing money i don't understand why people want to work for free!!
Old 03-29-2011, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You do the math, thats 30/ an hour for a 5tonne machine. I wouldnt even want to operate for someone else for 30 an hour. I took a look at his website and he has some pictures of stone walls he did-with all the stone joints lining up from top to bottom. Sad part is , is that he is working in one of the wealthiest areas in Canada period. Muskokas, home to lake muskoka. Goldie Hawn, JohnTravolta, Frank Stronich, Doug Gilmore, Shania Twain all fly in and out of this lake regularly. I dont think you can get a lot on the lake for under 1 million.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.