Register free!

Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-09-2011, 07:59 PM
JFGauvreau's Avatar
JFGauvreau JFGauvreau is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,290
Best way to treat crabcrass in a organic way

What if you can't use pre-emer, or chemicals to kill the crabgrass?

I know that crabgrass is a annual weed and will most likely be killed as the first frost comes in fall. (in Canada), but the seeds will remain on the ground, therefor creating new plants in spring.

Is crabgrass a type of weed that does not tolerate frequent mowing? If so, frequent mowing would eventually kill the crabgrass?

What are the other ways you can "Naturally" kill the crabrass? I am speaking of mostly Kentucky blue grass lawns, kentucky is good for choking out weeds at a 3" height, but crabgrass grows higher and sooner than that.

Any help would be appreciated.
__________________
Gauvreau Property Maintenance
Commercial & Residential asphalt services
Interlock & Landscape
Complete lawn care services

Last edited by JFGauvreau; 04-09-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Leo the Landscaper Leo the Landscaper is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 116
Corn Gluten Meal is the organic answer to preemergent herbicides.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-10-2011, 07:46 AM
AI Inc's Avatar
AI Inc AI Inc is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 21,793
Better soil structure. Dont have an envirement where CG can thrive.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-10-2011, 09:12 AM
JFGauvreau's Avatar
JFGauvreau JFGauvreau is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Landscaper View Post
Corn Gluten Meal is the organic answer to preemergent herbicides.
Doesn't corn gluten meal attracts a lot of ants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Better soil structure. Dont have an envirement where CG can thrive.
What kind of soil crabgrass doesn't thrive in? We have mostly clay here.
__________________
Gauvreau Property Maintenance
Commercial & Residential asphalt services
Interlock & Landscape
Complete lawn care services
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Leo the Landscaper Leo the Landscaper is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGauvreau View Post
Doesn't corn gluten meal attracts a lot of ants?



What kind of soil crabgrass doesn't thrive in? We have mostly clay here.
There isn't one! I think he means develop a strong thick turf by way of developing a healthy soil which will compete better against the crabgrass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,942
I never use CG pre-M on turf...

CG, is a low growing grass that fills in vacant, hot, dry spots in the dirt, that are not being used by other grasses... They can live off dew in such a way that it thrives, during the same time KBG is slowing down, even going dormant in the summer heat...

Mulch mowing, keeps the soil cool and protected for KBG roots and Rhyzomes to grow into... Mowing higher when the heat comes does the same thing... Not fertilizing just b4 or during the heat is an important practice...

This business about CGM for pre-m, and a 2yr buildup to prevent 80% of seed germination... begs a simple question, When can one overseed???
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-10-2011, 01:20 PM
ICT Bill ICT Bill is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Howard County MD
Posts: 4,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I never use CG pre-M on turf...

CG, is a low growing grass that fills in vacant, hot, dry spots in the dirt, that are not being used by other grasses... They can live off dew in such a way that it thrives, during the same time KBG is slowing down, even going dormant in the summer heat...

Mulch mowing, keeps the soil cool and protected for KBG roots and Rhyzomes to grow into... Mowing higher when the heat comes does the same thing... Not fertilizing just b4 or during the heat is an important practice...

This business about CGM for pre-m, and a 2yr buildup to prevent 80% of seed germination... begs a simple question, When can one overseed???
for KBG 3 weeks before or 3 weeks after seeding
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-11-2011, 06:50 AM
JFGauvreau's Avatar
JFGauvreau JFGauvreau is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,290
Ok thanks for your help guys
__________________
Gauvreau Property Maintenance
Commercial & Residential asphalt services
Interlock & Landscape
Complete lawn care services
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-11-2011, 07:22 AM
AI Inc's Avatar
AI Inc AI Inc is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 21,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Landscaper View Post
There isn't one! I think he means develop a strong thick turf by way of developing a healthy soil which will compete better against the crabgrass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Correct, crabgrass does thrive worse in a sandy soil. A healthy turf in loam will fight it off better.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
for KBG 3 weeks before or 3 weeks after seeding
Could I also sow CG 3 weeks b4 and 3 weeks after?

(A root inhibitor pre-m lasts for 90 days, and kills every seed that germinates)...

What is the system that makes CGM special?
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:29 PM.

Page generated in 0.10018 seconds with 9 queries