Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-28-2011, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ever just sat back and thought you were lucky?

The reason I ask this question is because it seems like every year when im getting my equipment ready for the spring mowing rush im always just as happy as a pig in crap............ Maybe some folks don't think like me but i know theres some of ya out there like me that just love there job! I have been Doing lawncare fulltime on my own for 7 years now with a little help every once in a while when it get backed up. I just don't think i would have it any other way. I love mowing and leaving a job looking nice.

On the other end of the pole, I always feel so lucky to not have a boss and pretty much make up my own schedule. Not only that but I will never forget the saying that an old feller took fishing on my boat with me said. He said that his father told him this long ago. The feller said to me "Boy, when you work for yourself you make yourself money, when you work for someone else you make them money". I don't know why in the world that saying has stuck with me for all these years but it has and Ill prolly never forget it. Not that I think its bad to work for someone, its just something to be proud of I guess.

Sometimes I think folks take it for granted how lucky we actually all are to get to work outdoors. Its so funny, I have a Doctor that lives across the street from me. I do some mulching and things for him but to be honest he is prolly 1 of the best landscapers I have ever met. If he had time he would do it all himself but he is a busy with work wife and kids. He also said something that has stuck with me for so long. He walked out one day while I was mulching (22 yards of mulch at his home by the way, I have help when i do his place) and said "ya know, it seems like everyones dream job these days is to be a doctor but you are actually doing my dream job". Basically said he would love to landscape for a living.

Anyways, anyone else feel like this at all or am I just nuts?????
Old 03-28-2011, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Every time I look at my wife.

Yes, great thread, great thoughts. I too feel that way, especially when she's trying to beat me to the ZTR, or trimmer, or something. We both love it, so I guess I'm blessed I have the best of ALL worlds.

Nice thread.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

that's the whole reason i quit my auto factory job...to get into this business where i can sit back and say that...hard to feel that way right now since this is my first full year in business lol...but one day i hope i can
Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post

Every time I look at my wife.

Yes, great thread, great thoughts. I too feel that way, especially when she's trying to beat me to the ZTR, or trimmer, or something. We both love it, so I guess I'm blessed I have the best of ALL worlds.

Nice thread.
Thats awesome lefet! I to have been blessed with a great wife. Now if she would just graduate college and start making me some money!!!!!!! LOL That was a joke.................... KINDA
Old 03-28-2011, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Same here. While all my friends are working or stuck in college, I'm working for myself and making my own money, hours, etc. I love it!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i am always fired up man, love this work. though my body is telling me i have done the work for too long, hahah.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I love this work, but I hated being self employed. I have a good job now and things are looking up, so I feel lucky in that regard.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 03-28-2011, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just love being flexible, I wake up, take my time, coffee & smoke. When I'm around, I can stop anytime at my house to eat lunch, their is no little "lunch room"

I just love working outside and talking with strangers or customers, if I would be working for someone else, my boss would probably tell me to stop talking to everyone and get back to work. lol
Complete lawn care services
Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Great thread.

As an individual who is still in the "8-to-5-I-Have-A-Micro-Managing-Boss" way of life, I cannot wait until April when I say, "I'm done here."

In April, I'll be launching my landscaping business in Oklahoma. I did this for 5 years all through high school, was very successful, but went to college, so I stopped mowing. Now, with a Sports Management degree from Okla. State, 4 years working with professional sport teams and 1 year in a cubicle, I am going back to my dream: Entrepreneurship & Landscaping.

Love this forum, can't wait to converse with you guys.

Lane
Old 03-28-2011, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcrazy View Post
Thats awesome lefet! I to have been blessed with a great wife. Now if she would just graduate college and start making me some money!!!!!!! LOL That was a joke.................... KINDA
Yes, that is great! I get to tell her the same thing!!! Start making US some money!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
I love this work, but I hated being self employed. I have a good job now and things are looking up, so I feel lucky in that regard.
You're still fortunate Chevy, I've followed your threads and you've come to a conclusion most miss in the business world. Not everyone's cut out for self management. You gotta do what you gotta do. Best of everything to you!!