Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2011, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post
Yes, that is great! I get to tell her the same thing!!! Start making US some money!!

You're still fortunate Chevy, I've followed your threads and you've come to a conclusion most miss in the business world. Not everyone's cut out for self management. You gotta do what you gotta do. Best of everything to you!!
Thank you! Somebody told me the smartest business decision I could make is to know when to quit.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Great thread! I started in this business when I was 17 my Junior year in HS. after 4 years I had built a strong business till I made the awful decision to partner up with a "buddy" who also had a business. Needless to say a year and half later I was forced to completely get out of the business due to his poor decision making and me letting him do it! This was in the begining of '08 when the economy took a dump so I was forced out of a business I had grown from nothing and forced to drive a truck for 2 years till I got back on my feet. I finally got back to a place where I could quit my driving job last spring and go back to mowing/landscaping full time. This is my second seaon back and I'm in the process of building my business back up once again and I couldn't be happier! I was a miserable wreck for the 2 years I was driving . . beat myself up everyday for being young & dumb and letting someone ruin my business. Long story short I learned alot from the experience! Never let anyone sell you on a partnership! Anyways. . back to doing what I love, recently married and a baby boy coming in June! Very Blessed
Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben I View Post
Great thread! I started in this business when I was 17 my Junior year in HS. after 4 years I had built a strong business till I made the awful decision to partner up with a "buddy" who also had a business. Needless to say a year and half later I was forced to completely get out of the business due to his poor decision making and me letting him do it! This was in the begining of '08 when the economy took a dump so I was forced out of a business I had grown from nothing and forced to drive a truck for 2 years till I got back on my feet. I finally got back to a place where I could quit my driving job last spring and go back to mowing/landscaping full time. This is my second seaon back and I'm in the process of building my business back up once again and I couldn't be happier! I was a miserable wreck for the 2 years I was driving . . beat myself up everyday for being young & dumb and letting someone ruin my business. Long story short I learned alot from the experience! Never let anyone sell you on a partnership! Anyways. . back to doing what I love, recently married and a baby boy coming in June! Very Blessed
Thanks for sharing. I've had to make some decisions on partnership as well.

Alas, I'm ridin' solo for a while!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

What I learned was. . no matter how well you know them, how good of intentions they have or how much you think they have your back it will probably end badly one day! I've seen the same thing happen with a couple of other companies around here too. Once you get all your paperwork with both partners names on it. . .you are pretty much married and when things go south it can be just as bad and hectic as a bad devorce lol. . . However, everything happens for a reason and like I said. . . I learned alot
Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, it's a little bittersweet, because we had a very successful lawn company about 4 years ago. Since then, I went to college, graduated, and now am ultimately focused/educated on how to approach this business.. Him.. not so much -- working at a pizza joint & selling skateboards.

With that said, I know my commitment level to this company. His is up-in-the-air. When I approached him with the thought (maybe my first mistake), he was absolutely on board.. But now that I think about it, I don't think I even want to mess with it.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

That should def let you know what kind of ambition he's packing. Stay solo nad later on down the road if you stay crazy busy, simply hire as many ppl as it takes to get the work done. . . no partners! Just my advice and BTW I forgot to mention I attended a local community college and majored in horticulture/turf management about 4 years ago also. . .
Old 03-28-2011, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Good stuff -- appreciate the insight!

(sorry for getting off topic..)
Old 03-28-2011, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneScapes View Post
Good stuff -- appreciate the insight!

(sorry for getting off topic..)
Nah, not off topic. your advice may very well "click" with someone who may have the same ideas in mind and save them a headache.

Like I said though, there are prolly folks that read my original post and say "this fools crazy"............................ I don't know, like i said i just love everything about it. I love working outside, i love people, and most of all I love being able to make my own schedule. Not that Im a slacker, i mean I have routes for certain days but if the week looks like its gonna be rain free I can spread them out a little and get some motorcycle riding in with the wife in the evenings.

I got the mowers out today and got them ready. Washed the scags off and there so clean I don't want to gettem dirty...................... Wait a second, yeah ill gettem dirty. Now come about august Ill be posting a new thread that saids how much I hate mowing and its just to darn hot. LOL You guys better get back on here and back me toooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Old 03-29-2011, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel lucky for sure. I HATE working for others. I always make more money self-employeed, and no one tells me what to do. A few years back I had a great paying job as a mechanic for JD. I just knew it wouldnt last. I saved my money, didnt go into debt, then got laid off during a drought. I am lucky I had foresight. Now I just need that luck to make this a wet year with good customers beating my door down so I can roll in 5 dollar bills.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This topic depends upon your worldview. For me, I have nothing to do with luck. Nobody has yet shown me any reason to believe in luck, or that luck has any power.

Having said that, I feel very blessed. My worldview is all about blessing, not anything to do with luck. I know the source of my blessing and that changes everything for me.

Being blessed has far more to do with working outside, hearing the sweet sound of an engine at work, or seeing grass clippings fly from the discharge chute. These might be fine, but are subordinate to so many other things. In the end, all the shuffling around with our earthly activities is a very minor piece of life. Making this shuffling a primary focus is to miss out what can satisfy, not which often frustrates.

If one has not spent time and effort to understand their worldview, and why, most likely they are adrift without an anchor, vulnerable to the whims of "tyranny of the urgent." I encourage everybody to come to grips with these issues first, then move on to the shuffling of the day-to-day tasks. It will put all your activities and relationships into proper perspective, not just the joy of riding your ZTR and enjoying the outdoors.

Last edited by Roger; 03-29-2011 at 07:35 AM.