Register free!

Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Simazine damage to shrubs?

Has anyone ever experienced damage to shrubs & etc from simazine. It says not to apply in the root zone of certain plants. I usually have a small buffer zone but the reality is these plants have extensive roots that spread well into the lawn. You can clearly tell where I stopped spraying. I've never had any damage but was wanting to apply closer to these plants. I only use one app in the fall around 1oz per K.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Think about using a finer tip so that you are primarily working it as folliar. Once it get into the ground Simazine will move horizontally somewhat but nothing like atrazine. Hold back on the irrigation for a day so prevent so much run off. It's possible for the plant to absorb the simazine before so much run off gets into the soil. Try using 1/2% MSO and liquid Nitrogen with it for quicker absorption. I'd rather go with about .75oz/K and do two apps about two weeks apart. But then on the other hand the plant may tolerate it. If the roots are deep enough, there may not be a problem. So much depends on the affected shrub/s.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Has anyone ever experienced damage to shrubs & etc from simazine. It says not to apply in the root zone of certain plants. I usually have a small buffer zone but the reality is these plants have extensive roots that spread well into the lawn. You can clearly tell where I stopped spraying. I've never had any damage but was wanting to apply closer to these plants. I only use one app in the fall around 1oz per K.
I have seen damage to Dogwoods and azaleas years ago. However, it was caused by Atrazine. Care must be taken with the use of triazine herbicides but I've never seen damage caused by simazine. I'm sure if you wanted to, you could mess something up with it though. I use 1.25 oz/k in the Fall and I spray right up to ornamentals(dogwoods and azaleas included) that are out in the lawns and not in established beds with mulch. If I didn't, I'd have rings of weeds around every one of these type plantings. Maybe this will give you a little peace of mind.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 03-08-2012, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
I have seen damage to Dogwoods and azaleas years ago. However, it was caused by Atrazine. Care must be taken with the use of triazine herbicides but I've never seen damage caused by simazine. I'm sure if you wanted to, you could mess something up with it though. I use 1.25 oz/k in the Fall and I spray right up to ornamentals(dogwoods and azaleas included) that are out in the lawns and not in established beds with mulch. If I didn't, I'd have rings of weeds around every one of these type plantings. Maybe this will give you a little peace of mind.
I will keep these thoughts in mind. I know what you mean by the rings. Thanks.

Last edited by ArTurf; 03-08-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This kind of problem depends on soil type. Most labels for simazine have instructions for usage around nursery stock and trees. I do know that things change when the soil is not a clay soil with high organic matter and it is more sandy. Sandy soils do not stop the simazine from getting into the roots. Alkaline soils are also something to watch for as well. Simazine is much more soluble under alkaline conditions. If you have alkaline sand, watch out. One of my mentors told me about how he cooked some full grown trees applying simazine to the lawn. This was a property with a little red clay on top of a lot of coral. The coral made the clay alkaline and the simazine just kept on going down. Another reason why I pull soil tests before applying anything. I am looking at CEC and pH before deciding on what is safe to use on a particular lawn. Our beloved metsulfuron behaves similarly. You can kill trees with metsulfuron if the soil is alkaline and sandy.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-10-2012, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have not experienced damage using Simazine next to shrubs...but I do not apply at the rates you discussed in a prior thread...I use two split apps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2012, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I have not experienced damage using Simazine next to shrubs...but I do not apply at the rates you discussed in a prior thread...I use two split apps.
Posted via Mobile Device
For instance?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
For instance?
You apt at full rate 1.5/1000 I do two splits at .75/1000.
Posted via Mobile Device