Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-25-2002, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Getting New Clients!

Ok, ive read and read and read some great stuff on here past and present. I will only be working 4-6 hours a day as this is just a part-time gig to fill my days and make some MAD money to play around with. I am going into this venture though being very serious about the quality of service I want to offer. I will be open to both commercial and residential accounts but thinking i need to market the smaller residential accounts. I will be using a 48" SCAG walk-behind, and a 21" Honda, Echo blower and weed eater. I am doing it all by myself. Now my question: I would like to have enough accounts set up to make the payment for my equipment when I buy it in the begining of 2003...whats the best way to get the 10 good customers I would like to have to begin next season? I can do nice flyers. (I am a graphic designer by degree). However I have read about these 20 template letters being sold on here and was wondering if they are worth it for a small fry like me? Do they adress the issue of STARTING A NEW CLIENT BASE or is it just to grow an exhisting business. Or should I just send out a 1000 flyers and hope to get 10 clients? any thoughts? thanks.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well the best thing to do I would say is to pick an area where you think you will be best working in, go door to door and just get your name out there right now for next spring. I have 16 accounts from going door o door every season and just telling people who i am, giving them a flier and asking then to consider myself for services. It's a way to get your foot in the door and once you get say one customer, other people will see what you are doing and will want you to maybe do their yard. I cut people's lawns jjust because they are too busy or because they like the way I cut. I hope this helped.

P.S. I'm glad you're going with the Scag
Old 09-25-2002, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

MowinSoIn,

Since you have a graphics background capitalize on it using direct mail.

Produce your own piece or got to www.growpro.com and have a look at their stuff.
Design your own coupon and buy a quantity of their 4 page newsletter. I guarantee that if your coupon is irresistible then your phone won't stop ringing.

Merge these with a mailing list you customize at www.infousa.com and you will get to 10 accounts faster than ever.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

simply put......get out there and start mowing. your lawns are your best advertisement. ive got numerous accounts from drive-by's and neighbors. they will see the quality work you do and call, or come talk to you. be sure to have your name and number on your truck.

also, be very friendly...wave to people, talk to their kids, pet their dogs. let them know what kind of person you are. this will get you a long way.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Word of mouth is the best advertising I've ever had. Neighbors of existing clients, I have several places where I pull up and unload to do two houses right next to each other. Soon to be three right next door to each other.

Scott