Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2011, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotLandscape View Post
Cash flow is managed in every contract signed. For the most part you should be ahead of your direct and indirect cost on a job. This is what progress payments are for. The last check amount should be minimized to reduce your exposure on any job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed. This is pretty much another subject, but jobs over $7,000 I collect no less than 3 draws. I've had some larger jobs where there have been 7-10 draws. My mentality is that when we're done, the balance due is slightly more the cost of the turf restoration.

I do NOT put ANY materials on account. When we work for you, the materials for your job are paid for on the spot. This is how I have done this for the last 7(?) years, I do not lay in bed worrying that I owe any suppliers any money. And it's a GREAT feeling!

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 03-31-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have an account with one vendor only because it was easier for them. I personally feel the same way as you and never want to be embarassed to pull in a yard that I owe 20k to. For some reason some guys just dont care to pay their bills.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you last two posters negotiate some kind of reduced rate for paying COD for your supplies? The reason I ask is because most all my suppliers offer at least 2%/10th, net 30.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Maintenance work is guaranted income. It's my opinion that the maintenance income will cover the company's entire overhead expenses. Then, any installation / construction work generate's the owner's salary and the company's profit. Whereas without maintenance work - you're relying on a luxury service that is subject to recession, etc. to cover all the operating costs. That's risky.

If you read about the companies profiled in Lawn & Landscape - *nearly* all the companies profiled offer maintenance work in conjunction with their installation. There is a reason for this

I frequently see on this forum where guys say "I wanna get out of maintenance and start doing hardscapes". In my opinion, that is the wrong way to go. Keep the maintenance work AND start doing installation. When there are slumps in the economy - you NEED the maintenance work to pay the Bill-In-The-Night.
Excellent take on this.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 03-31-2011, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes169 View Post
Do you last two posters negotiate some kind of reduced rate for paying COD for your supplies? The reason I ask is because most all my suppliers offer at least 2%/10th, net 30.
same here.

i use accounts for less paperwork and ease of accounting.

it takes budgeting, but if you have the job figured for x dollars, i dont care if you pay it today or when the bill comes it is still x dollars, or in the case of 2%/10th it is x-2%
Old 03-31-2011, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Whenever I buy any materials, I make sure I am paying the cheapest price I can in North Jersey. EVERYTHING gets shopped around. I might talk every supplier down, but they get paid with a check on the spot for every order. I do not have any accounts anywhere.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Everything in life is a two-way street.

To each his own. I seldom shop around for your typical hardscape material.

I'm huge on referals. Whether it's former clients or vendors.

The vendor that gives me the most referals - is the vendor that I do the least haggeling with. And the vendor that gets the most business from me.

We have a hardscape manufacturer / supplier in the area that most hardscape contractors do not buy from. Foolish on their part, but to each his own. I've known the staff at this place for the last 10 years. Most of the hardscape jobs we did in 2010 originated from this one particular supplier. We're like family. Because of our relationship, I respect them and I respect their prices. Most suppliers will give a home owner 3 contractors to call. This particular vendor usually only gives my name. We're pretty tight. Lets keep it that way.

On the other hand we have a supplier in the area thats been in biz for over 50 years. Big company, big facility. We're the oldest hardscape company in the area and they have never given me any referals. They have never sat me down and asked "what can we do to get your business". Therefore I only buy small stuff from them once in every so bluemoons. Yet, when I go on there, they act like they can't understand WHY I don't buy from them. Last year we did a job 1 mile from their facility. I bought material from another supplier 20 miles away, even picked it up with my truck.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Everything in life is a two-way street.

To each his own. I seldom shop around for your typical hardscape material.

I'm huge on referals. Whether it's former clients or vendors.

The vendor that gives me the most referals - is the vendor that I do the least haggeling with. And the vendor that gets the most business from me.

We have a hardscape manufacturer / supplier in the area that most hardscape contractors do not buy from. Foolish on their part, but to each his own. I've known the staff at this place for the last 10 years. Most of the hardscape jobs we did in 2010 originated from this one particular supplier. We're like family. Because of our relationship, I respect them and I respect their prices. Most suppliers will give a home owner 3 contractors to call. This particular vendor usually only gives my name. We're pretty tight. Lets keep it that way.

On the other hand we have a supplier in the area thats been in biz for over 50 years. Big company, big facility. We're the oldest hardscape company in the area and they have never given me any referals. They have never sat me down and asked "what can we do to get your business". Therefore I only buy small stuff from them once in every so bluemoons. Yet, when I go on there, they act like they can't understand WHY I don't buy from them. Last year we did a job 1 mile from their facility. I bought material from another supplier 20 miles away, even picked it up with my truck.

That's all fine & dandy, and I respect that approach. BUT, I see no reasoning in that explanation why terms couldn't be laid out to your company's benefit while keeping the current relationship with your favored supplier.

I'll give you an example of one of my recent supplier interactions. Keep in mind this is a different product, ready-mix concrete supplier, as well as completely different volume I would suspect.

My terms are 2% by the 10th, net thirty. If I pour concrete on April 1, it's not due until May 31.

This has zero negative impact on my contract pricing at all. As a matter of fact, merely paying my bill in a somewhat timely fashion instantly makes me an "outstanding customer" in their own words.

They have a referral system in place as well. I never signed on to it as I didn't care for some of their restrictions. Always figured I'd go through the process IF I needed the extra work. They still send referrals my way regardless.

And to top it all off, just 3 days ago I received my yearly pricing, and with minimal negotiation, I will be paying about 7% less than last years price for concrete. I can't just merely look beyond the decreased price, as it could easily equate to savings in the 5 figures for the year.

And most importantly, this is my preferred supplier, one which I feel puts out the best product for our needs, and now they've aligned themselves as the cheapest as well.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

During the recession most suppliers have not increased prices, even though the manufacturers have. So, they been taking a cut on their profit. Pad me with referrals and our relationship will be luvie dovie. Being at the lowest price level is also a must.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2011, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Member

So what's the downside to having terms extended to the contractor?