Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2011, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some of you are a little harsh on an up and coming businessman

I just wrote a lengthy post, only to find the thread was deleted when I went to submit the post

I think some of you are being a little harsh on Mr. DeLong.

I do not normally defend people here, as I do a good job of fighting my own battles myself.

Did any of you read the testimonial letters on his website? This kid is kicking butt! And a few of you were flaming him, shame on you.

I started mowing lawns at the age of 10 with a Sears Riding Mower for five bucks a pop. At age 13 I had a company name, and a red trailer to pull behind that mower, a Weed Eater brand trimmer, and a BROOM! At age 15 I moved up to a lawn tractor, 17 HP twin cyl Kohler, 42" deck, hydro trans!!. At this time I also bought an old used backpack blower. My biggest account was a 2.6 acre property that I mowed for $45! Age 16 I had a truck and a 16' trailer. Age 19 I bought my first real mower - a JD 755 tractor, and it went from there. I was unstopable. And yes, I have pictures me and my equipment from the age of 10 and up - LOL! My clients loved me and trusted me to do anything that I offered prices on. Upon H.S graduation my clients got me gifts and sent me cards, writing some really nice comments commending my business skills and the quality of work given to them. I look back now and I think "I can't believe people trusted me to do some of the work I was doing back then".

On another forum I used to participate in, this 15 yr old kid from the DC area came on there. People flamed the you know what out of him. Well, we watched him get his driver's license. He used to write about how at school he would have to go to the bathroom during class because his workers were calling him, and how one time a teacher caught him talking on his cell phone and demanded he surrender the phone to which he refused!! He would write about how his guys had to drive him around because he didn't have a license yet!!!

I believe before this boy graduated, he bought his 2nd truck - a Mits dump. He then attended UMD. During this time he bought ANOTHER dump truck! His business was GROWING! Around the age of 22 this guy BOUGHT his first HOUSE!!! This guy IS ALL BUSINESS, and it's been a pleasure watching him grow and prosper. And I'll never forget how people on the forum flamed and flamed and flamed him for about 9 months when he first started participating.

I looked at MR. DeLong's testimonial letters. They are IMPRESSIVE. This letter reminded me of myself when I was his age. I didn't work under anyone. Everything I know I learned on my own. I've made a billion mistakes, and I've learned from all of them. Those of you telling this guy to go for for someone else - I think you're under estimating him.

Check this letter out:

"To whom it may concern,

This letter of recommendation is written on behalf of Jason DeLong, who has been the Landscaper at our home for the last several years.

It was perhaps four or five years ago when Jason, then a middle-school student, passed flyers throughout the neighborhood within which we both live, in an effort to attract customers for his lawn-cutting business. At the time, my wife and I had been using another service for some time, as it essentially “came with the house.”

Over the next few years, I saw as Jason’s customer base grew to include more and more of our neighbors. Eventually, we extended an offer for Jason to add us on as customers. In all candors, I was mildly concerned that, given his age, he might not be up to the task of regularly maintaining our lawn, as well as the growing customer base he was building.

My fears, as it turns out, were completely (and fortunately) unfounded. Jason has proven to be reliable and trustworthy. In the intervening years, he has managed to build a rather impressive business, and as a High-School Junior I shared his pride at having purchased not only a nice truck, but a large trailer to go with it, as well, filled with the accumulated tools of his trade.

Jason is certainly not what one would imagine when using the word “Landscaper.” He is clearly of good breeding and high intelligence, and his ability to articulate well is properly tempered by his fine manners. He always shows up to do his work in a professional manner, and is clean-cut and well groomed. He is athletic, friendly, and well mannered. Our neighbor’s daughter attends the same High School (albeit a grade below Jason) and confirms that he is “as nice as pie.”

I cannot imagine that Jason does not have, in an overabundance, any quality, which you would find either desirable or necessary in a candidate for your program. Moreover, his considerable experience in the field, coupled with his business acumen, should make him an asset to any classroom to which he is assigned.

As a sole Practitioner for nearly twenty years, I have considerable firsthand experience with business planning and customer relations. For all of that, the old adage that “the proof is in the pudding” still stands as a barometer for the success or failure of a business.

In Jason’s case, word of mouth and the satisfaction of his existing customers has led to the growth of his business to a rather impressive size for anyone, much less a person so young. He didn’t get there by being unreliable, or not doing good work. He got there by consistently showing up and doing good work.

Should you have any questions or comments, or need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me, and I will respond promptly."

Keep up the good work Jason!

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

word up.....
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 03-30-2011, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks dvs. I will stop posting on the sacred hardscaping forum. I will just read and learn. and will keep getting inspired by the words of wisdom, constructive help, and opinions that you give.

dvs is a true role model! Kind, friendly, has a strong opinion on what a good paver should look like and has a keened eye for detail. Also, appreciates the young entrepreneur trying to make it in the big world.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
dvs is a true role model! Kind, friendly, has a strong opinion on what a good paver should look like and has a keened eye for detail. Also, appreciates the young entrepreneur trying to make it in the big world.

haha - i think 85%, (including myself) would beg to differ on the "kind" and "friendly"!

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you make so many threads explaining the aspects of business and general questions and situations that so many people completely forget when doing business. You wouldn't share with this forum if you weren't kind. Maybe a little harsh sometimes but you tell it how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
haha - i think 85%, (including myself) would beg to differ on the "kind" and "friendly"!

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-31-2011, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

wow a whole thread deleted.

I think that mr. delong is more than likely a great guy, i think that he lost his temper quite rapidly and came off a bit arrogant in his initial post with the comment about the other contractor's vehicle. (i have a competitor in a 2wd toyota that does some darn fine work)

that being said, good on him for doing the work and trying to learn, i would recommend keeping an open mind.... don't "stop posting" nothing wrong with the initial question.... did you get any good input from that question?

as we all know, construction is a far cry from cutting grass. it is always more prudent to apprentice under a master than to attempt to pull your self up by the boot straps.

The first retaining wall I worked on at 10 years old was under the watchful eye of a 75 year old guy with many years of experience.

The first concrete I poured was under the watchful eyes of several experienced finishers.

final thought: its a web forum, posts get read with the wrong emphasis all the time...... let it be as water off a ducks back.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Very well thought out and worded post DVS. Way to take the high road and differentiate yourself from popular opinion. I too have followed his threads and checked out his site and have to give him credit for his amibition. I think I loosely read the thread mentioned so I can't comment on that, but I will say I agree with SVA:

don't "stop posting" nothing wrong with the initial question....

My mother always said "the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked"

Kudos Mr. DVS, EXCEPTIONALLY good post
Old 03-31-2011, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

good post and I respect the hustle and hardwork of younger business owners like Jason, however I do not like looking at there website and seeing 4 other companies hardwork posted all over them. Its misleading to customers and in my opinion "a slap in the face" to the company who did the actual work. So that being said Jason please have your own work on your website.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good post. I never read the thread but I admire anyone who has a true passion for the work they do and strive to do things the right way and not cut corners. Keep up the good work Jason and it will take you far in life.

Lawn Maintenance ~ Landscape Design ~ Snow/Ice Management
Old 03-31-2011, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have time to sot and flame a guy on a professional support forum, all I can say is that I hope you work in my area...becuse you ain't out hustling....these kids are...
Good on em.
Posted via Mobile Device