Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2011, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Changing seeding times with new herbicides

We all know that spring, or better yet, fall is the best time for seeding/over seeding due to less weed pressure, more soil moisture typically available and closer to the time when grass germinates on its own.

In the northern regions, KBG can be even slower to germinate if we wait into fall too much and the temperatures drop suddenly within a week or two of seeding. Has anyone put any thought into seeding slightly more into the warmer months given the new herbicide chemistries of Imprelis and Tenacity and their ability to be used at that time? It almost seems as if weed pressure would be next to none and the added benefit of the warm germination temperatures, assuming irrigation is present, should seem to help with overall establishment.

What says you?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There was many a summer over the past 25 years that I spent adding wheelbarrows of topsoil to a heavily wooded, hilly area and planted grass seed. June is actually the quickest germination time, because the soil is warm and the sun is high... All very successful, without the new herbicides...

so, should be no problem WITH the New Herbicides, except that they will have a detrimental effect on the new seedlings as the heat of summer comes on, correct?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Warmest soil temps of the year probably occur in August. So fastest germination in August--but weather may be dry, you may be seeding through crabgrass and weeds. If Imprelis or Tenacity can eliminate such problems--that is a huge advantage. If you can keep it wet, high soil temps are a big help. Of course, disease can happen at high temps particularly in muggy or wet conditions (like Pythium). And, evaporation is fast at high temps; during dry August conditions soil dries out fast.

However, southern grasses are best seeded in early summer--they need the heat and need to get established before cool weather ends their season. I am not from the south, but I understand temps of 85 and above are necessary. And anything below 40 ends the season. What do you guys think down south?

Last edited by RigglePLC; 04-05-2011 at 09:56 AM. Reason: added
Old 04-05-2011, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My point is that you should be able to seed anytime the soil temps are above 50 degrees and now with the new herbicides you don't have to worry about CG... But there is no magic bullet, and one needs to think about ALL the trade-offs...