Register free!

Old 04-09-2000, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

most of my lawns are 8000 sf and the lesco push spreader works fine,but i have a few that are about 36,000+sf. would it work for me? is it just like useing the push spreader? any maint? how do you load it on the truck? thanks for your input.<br>and about how much does it cost?<br>anthonygrelli n.j. <br>
Old 04-09-2000, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Anthony, I bought one last Spring, and it has worked well for me. I have lawns from 2k to 200K and I use it on all of them. Many have steep slopes, and that would be my only word of caution. It seems to be a little top heavy and since the back wheels swivel, you have to be sure that you maintain control. Other than that I have had no problems. Same PM as other spreaders, with the exception of the Honda engine, and then simple oil change and air filter cleaning.<br>Paid around $1300 for mine. Have had one person complain that it was too slow, but his age and waist size were about the same, and maybe his youth makes him in a bigger hurry.
Old 04-09-2000, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The chain/wheel motor/differtial can be repair issues, but other than chain adjustment, that's not a concern.<p>For 1300.00, there's not much else out there.<br>This year I bought the Perma-Green unit for 4000.00 and love it. www.ride-onspreader.com.
Old 04-09-2000, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

lazer the perm-a-green doed it have a conversion settings for lesco fertilizer, and was it easy to get use to. also what size area you feel is the min. to use it on. thanhs anthony
Old 04-09-2000, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

lazer the perm-a-green doed it have a conversion settings for lesco fertilizer, and was it easy to get use to. also what size area you feel is the min. to use it on. how do you transport it. thanks anthony
Old 04-11-2000, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Perma-Green Ride-On Spreader-Sprayer does not have a conversion table. You need to calibrate everything yourself. I've been applying fertilizer/granular control products for over 15 years, so you get good a making adjustments for different products. <p>It is very easy to use, but I guess it's what you're used to. I spent the previous 4 years using a walk-behind spreader sprayer. You have 3 controls: Clutch, Spreader and then Sprayer switch. With the new one it also has brake, 2 position spray switch and handle release lever for walking those steep hills. If you're going from a push spreader to this new unit, it'll take a day or 2 to master.<p>No minimum lawn size. I just did a 2,000 sq. ft. hilly lawn the other day. Did a 325,000 sq. ft. property later the same day. + anything in between.<p>I transport it with their carrying rack on the back of my spray truck. I modified it to also hold my Lesco 80lb. spreader for Diazinon/other granulars without emptying my rider unit.<br>
Old 04-11-2000, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

thank you for the info.<br>anthony n.j.
Old 04-15-2000, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Anthony and Lazer I am a Facility with Lesco and within 6 to 8 months time you will see that Lesco is coming out with it's own version of the Perma-green spreader. Ours will be hydraulically driven (not belt) and we will have a 25 ga. spray tank equipped with retractable and break-away booms we willas well have the separate hand wand and unlike theirs the Lesco unit will do a better job of hill climbing. We have had some experience with their unit and tested ours during our national convention in Florida. With a price tag of about $3500 you can make the intelligent call as to what unit will be worth the purchase. Check with your local Lesco rep. as to when the can expect this model. Responses are welcome.
Old 04-15-2000, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The large break-away booms make it difficult to maneuaver in heavily landscaped areas.<p>The advatage of a gear drive like theirs is it allows for 2 set operating speeds. But I'd much rather have a hydraulic drive model.<p>What engine will they use to power it?<p>Their mounted spray bottle instead of a wand is nicer, IMO.<br>
Old 04-15-2000, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lazer,<p>Checked out the ride-on on their webpage. Looks kinda cool. $4000US=$6000CDN...guess I'll just keep walkin'.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com