Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-01-2011, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Chain gang

i got a idea for a stripe kit easy to make i think it will work just wanted to get some opinions before i do it my thought is to use a chain cut in 4" lengths attached to a small pole mounted at back of mower the chain should drag the ground and not get hung under tires do you think this will work
????

i got the idea from the thing they use to drag the dirt at a baseball field
Old 04-01-2011, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslawncare22 View Post
i got a idea for a stripe kit easy to make i think it will work just wanted to get some opinions before i do it my thought is to use a chain cut in 4" lengths attached to a small pole mounted at back of mower the chain should drag the ground and not get hung under tires do you think this will work
????

I found the easiest striper to make for many decks is just bolt a 2" rubber strip to the back of the deck and a 1" light weight metal strap with 4 holes for bolts. I realize this won't work on every mower, but the rubber flap leaves a nice stripe and for under $10.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 04-01-2011, 02:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

People have been doing the chain thing forever man. There's actually a couple pics floating around if you do some searching. I personally think it's kind of dumb. (Not calling you dumb at all) but when pulling my mower off the trailer I can already see that chain catching on the expanded metal and causing all kinds of hell. Plus the annoying sound of it constantly dragging, etc.

My metro has a "stock" little flap underneat the engine right behind the deck. I plan on just getting a heavy thick mudflap, cutting it out to the same size and re attaching to the already existing bolts. Simple, and very very cheap. Forget a $300 pre-made one or spending $100 to make one. Plus here in the south our grasses don't really stripe at all. I hate it.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslawncare22 View Post
????

Dixie chopper already has that for a striper
Go to there site Zibra Chain Drag
Old 04-01-2011, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Dixie chopper already has that for a striper
Go to there site Zibra Chain Drag
A perfect example of how the younger generation doesn't bother to do any kind of research before they start jumping up and down at an idea they thought they came up with. Keep digging OP.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
A perfect example of how the younger generation doesn't bother to do any kind of research before they start jumping up and down at an idea they thought they came up with. Keep digging OP.
it's not like he is trying to get a patent for it; he was just trying to see if anyone had used it and if so, if it worked well.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaRed View Post
it's not like he is trying to get a patent for it; he was just trying to see if anyone had used it and if so, if it worked well.

Yeh no kidding.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 04-01-2011, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaRed View Post
My point isn't about a patent. Had he did a few minutes of research on the subject, he would have found that others have in fact used chain as a striping method and has been around for quite some time now. There's even pics of results from using them.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Whoaa old timer. You somehow believe that only young people are the only ones starting random threads? Not only is that incredibly ignorant, but also very inaccurate.

This reminds me of a job I had the other day where the older guy (customer) tried to blame us for something for being young (jokingly), but in reality it was completely his fault. I can understand where old people just like to say something about the "younger generation" (as they always have) but atleast make it relevant. Saying that only young people don't do "research" is hilarious. Come on now.

Hell, I AM the young generation, and I'm the one who told him it has been around forever.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
My point isn't about a patent. Had he did a few minutes of research on the subject, he would have found that others have in fact used chain as a striping method and has been around for quite some time now. There's even pics of results from using them.

Who pi$$ed in your shreded weat gramps i never said i invented it and i have done research that is how i got the idea

Tags
mower advice , striper , striping