Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2011, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

iphone vs blackberry

not a mowing topic, but wanted everyone's opinion about what phones they were using. I currently have a blackberry and love it, but have considered the iphone. So what do you guys have and what features do you get the most out of in our field of work? Apps?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I use a android. Use the square app to charge customers. Got paid by a guy who wanted his rental property mowed here in town but he lives in Florida. Works well for me. I am slowing transitioning to credit or debit card only transactions. Dealing with cash and checks stinks in my opinion. Going to by a ipad when they get some more in and use it for my service agreements and try to go as paperless as possible.
36" Scag V-Ride
33" 760 ES Cub Cadet(backup)
22" Toro Self Propelled
21" Push Yard Machine
Stihl Kombi 110 with curved edger
Stihl Kombi 90 with straight shaft trimmer
Echo String Trimmer (backup)
Echo HH Blower
McLean Edger(backup)

http://baytownlawncare.com
Old 04-01-2011, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm in the market for a new phone and I will be upgrading at the end of this month. I always just wanted a regular good working phone, one that I can hear clear on and sound clear on. I'm now looking at getting a BlackBerry phone. Ive looked at all of the different phones out there and they are cool. But from the reviews I read what seems to be a common problem is, the phones are great at texting and web, but when it comes down to working good as an actual phone, well that's when the trouble starts.

I'm not the type to text or surf the web on a phone, I can see how that can be useful, but I need a phone to work as a phone, one that is clear. My brother in law has the I Phone and although its a neat phone with all the bells and whistles, you can't hear him worth a crap and he can't hear you most times, and he drops calls all the time. He lives in Miami not Bum F*&^, so he should get great reception.

If you read the reviews you will find out that most of the smart phones are weak and flimsy and are easily broken, have poor phone quality, are buggy, meaning they freeze up and the apps don't work properly. SOOOOOOOOOO what good is a phone that has those type problems? Now from what I read about the BlackBerry is, the phone call quality is excellent, the antenna is strong so very few if any dropped calls. People can actually hear you when talking and you can hear them, they are durable and they function very well.

So in my opinion from reading hundreds of reviews on different websites, I would say if you have the need for a good phone that you can hear people on and they can hear you on, and you need a phone that is durable and has good reception etc, then the BlackBerry is the way to go, especially for business.

Now if you want to look cool, have a large screen for surfing the web and sound quality or call quality is not as important as text and email and surfing the web, then I'm sure the I phone or some other smart phone will work.

This is my opinion and I have nothing to back this up other than reviews that I have read and personal experience with my BIL I Phone.

Needless to say I'm looking at a BlackBerry Bold 9780 for me.

Dave...
Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baytownlawncare View Post
I use a android. Use the square app to charge customers. Got paid by a guy who wanted his rental property mowed here in town but he lives in Florida. Works well for me. I am slowing transitioning to credit or debit card only transactions. Dealing with cash and checks stinks in my opinion. Going to by a ipad when they get some more in and use it for my service agreements and try to go as paperless as possible.
This is the only reason I would consider a smart phone for. They're not made for the everyday abuse they can be subject to. But here again, my "military grade, weather/waterproof" Motorola didn't even last a full year before it started having troubles. I just ordered another Blackberry, I had my Wife's old (but new) Curve but after giving it a few attitude adjustments the screen was cracked. I ended up ordering a Blackberry (the one that flips) I can't remember the stupid name of it. The smart phone that you can swipe a credit or debit card is pretty cool but we deal with mostly older people and local businesses so I would rarely use it.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 04-01-2011, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolluv View Post
I'm in the market for a new phone and I will be upgrading at the end of this month. I always just wanted a regular good working phone, one that I can hear clear on and sound clear on. I'm now looking at getting a BlackBerry phone. Ive looked at all of the different phones out there and they are cool. But from the reviews I read what seems to be a common problem is, the phones are great at texting and web, but when it comes down to working good as an actual phone, well that's when the trouble starts.

I'm not the type to text or surf the web on a phone, I can see how that can be useful, but I need a phone to work as a phone, one that is clear. My brother in law has the I Phone and although its a neat phone with all the bells and whistles, you can't hear him worth a crap and he can't hear you most times, and he drops calls all the time. He lives in Miami not Bum F*&^, so he should get great reception.

If you read the reviews you will find out that most of the smart phones are weak and flimsy and are easily broken, have poor phone quality, are buggy, meaning they freeze up and the apps don't work properly. SOOOOOOOOOO what good is a phone that has those type problems? Now from what I read about the BlackBerry is, the phone call quality is excellent, the antenna is strong so very few if any dropped calls. People can actually hear you when talking and you can hear them, they are durable and they function very well.

So in my opinion from reading hundreds of reviews on different websites, I would say if you have the need for a good phone that you can hear people on and they can hear you on, and you need a phone that is durable and has good reception etc, then the BlackBerry is the way to go, especially for business.

Now if you want to look cool, have a large screen for surfing the web and sound quality or call quality is not as important as text and email and surfing the web, then I'm sure the I phone or some other smart phone will work.

This is my opinion and I have nothing to back this up other than reviews that I have read and personal experience with my BIL I Phone.

Needless to say I'm looking at a BlackBerry Bold 9780 for me.

Dave...

Dave, you and I are on the same paige, lol I actually found a "stick phone" one that doesn't flip or slide open. Its just a straight forward phone from Motorola, I thought finally here is a simple, basic work phone....it only got 2 stars on Sprint's web site. My Daughter laughed, actually made fun of me for wanting a "stick phone",lol

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 04-01-2011, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baytownlawncare View Post
I noticed a few apps on the iphone for credit cards and they would even send the free swipe device. The only down side I saw was that many of them charged 2-3% plus a $0.15-0.20 charge per swipe or key entry. So on every 100 bill you'd be looking at $2-3 per transaction. Margins on a single cut $30 yard would be lower imo
Old 04-01-2011, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Have no experience with an iPhone other than using an ipod touch for a few years. Have lots of experience with BlackBerry and fair amount with Android phone.
Here is my take. If you want a good phone for email and a little web go BlackBerry. By far best at email and phone calls with the way it manages contacts and dialing. Android is still good at email and calls just not as convenient. It does do many other things the BlackBerry doesn't do so well like browse the web and many apps.
Now if you want to be real conservative, have a plain ole' cell phone and buy an ipod touch. You will only have data around wifi hot spots but you get the features of an iphone without the monthly data cost!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I have the Blackberry 8530 (I think is the model) and its great. Very easy to use, has all the apps I need. It syncs to my 3 emails much easier than my girlfriends droid. I'm not a fan of touch screens; I like the BB keyboard a lot. It's also very durable. I've dropped it countless times, gotten it a little wet and very dusty. The key is to get an otterbox case.

Also, I just downloaded Blackberry Protect which saves all the info on your phone at scheduled times (texts, contacts, calender, notes, etc.) You can download it all onto a new device and track your phone if you lose it or gets stolen. The BB website will show its gps location or make it ring very loudly. You can also lock it or wipe all the info from it, my favorite feature. The app is also made by the BB company so its more trustworthy and reputable than
3rd party apps.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can write and send invoices and estimates with the iphone. It also automatically syncs with your home computer. So everything you write up in the field is ready to go at home. The other phones probably do this as well.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I love my blackberry. It sinks with my email, calender, client lists, outlook and everything I need in the field.