Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-11-2015, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Installing oil drain valve on an oil drain hose?

Hi all,

I completed the first oil change (8 hour break-in interval) on my new ZTR with a Kawi FX600 motor. The oil drain hose is a nice feature. During normal operation, the hose is positioned through a loop mounted to the mower frame to keep it in place, with the hose end facing upward. When it comes time to change the oil, the hose is pulled out of the loop and fed through a hole in the frame so it can be drained out between the rear wheels.

What I've noticed is that getting the drain plug off can be a pain for such a simple task. For one, the hose only feeds through the hole in the frame a little bit so one must lie down beside the mower and reach up into the underside of the rear frame to access it. I don't feel like jacking the entire mower up because that would require leveling out the front too. I wish the hose was longer from the factory. Anyway, once I am able to access the drain plug, it is difficult to work in the tight space as I need a socket and a wrench - socket for the drain plug and wrench for the female fitting the plug threads into.

I would like to install an oil drain valve like a Fumoto. Unfortunately, Fumoto does not make a valve for the required spec - 9/16-18 thread. I did a Google search and came across some aircraft drain valves. Here's an example:

http://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/Pro...mber=CCA-4350&

Is there any reason this would not work? Or does anyone else know of a drain valve that fits my application? Any other suggestions?
Old 08-11-2015, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Check around for a local hydraulic shop that makes hoses, see if they have the proper fittings and then have them make one for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2015, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by culturejamming View Post
Hi all,

I completed the first oil change (8 hour break-in interval) on my new ZTR with a Kawi FX600 motor. The oil drain hose is a nice feature. During normal operation, the hose is positioned through a loop mounted to the mower frame to keep it in place, with the hose end facing upward. When it comes time to change the oil, the hose is pulled out of the loop and fed through a hole in the frame so it can be drained out between the rear wheels.

What I've noticed is that getting the drain plug off can be a pain for such a simple task. For one, the hose only feeds through the hole in the frame a little bit so one must lie down beside the mower and reach up into the underside of the rear frame to access it. I don't feel like jacking the entire mower up because that would require leveling out the front too. I wish the hose was longer from the factory. Anyway, once I am able to access the drain plug, it is difficult to work in the tight space as I need a socket and a wrench - socket for the drain plug and wrench for the female fitting the plug threads into.

I would like to install an oil drain valve like a Fumoto. Unfortunately, Fumoto does not make a valve for the required spec - 9/16-18 thread. I did a Google search and came across some aircraft drain valves. Here's an example:

http://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/Pro...mber=CCA-4350&

Is there any reason this would not work? Or does anyone else know of a drain valve that fits my application? Any other suggestions?
I've done similar modifications to my trencher and mini excavator quite a few hours ago. So far so good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-23-2015, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a '13 Scag Cheetah. The Kawa engine has a Oil Drain hose with a twist valve assembly that is really easy to open by hand and pours well. Like your, mine sets up in a (holder of sorts) for safe keeping, but is long enough that can be lowered to the side for draining purposes. THE valve assembly is a yellow plastic piece with shoulders that allow easy opening.

The valve is an "OIL DRAIN VALVE ASSEMBLY #485493". This is either a Kawasaki Part or a Scag Cheetah Part (not sure).

I just went back to the schematics, if the valve assembly won't fit your hose, consider buying the kawa hose that fits the oil drain hole in the engine and also fits the oil drain valve assembly. Aren't all those drain hole on the engine the same size ...

Last edited by WilsonBoud; 08-23-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey, can you double check that part # for the drain valve? I'm not finding anything with a Google search or Kawasaki part # search. Possible that it's a Scag part but nothing comes up when searched.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

yep ...... an error Parts # 484593, not parts #485493

This from the "Scag Cheetah Parts PDF" file (available on Google).

I looked in the "Kawasaki FX921V-1000V PDF" (availablie on Google) and did not find that hose and drain valve, so it must be a Scag part.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Here it is ......but forget the pricing. That must be some kink of posting issue....

http://www.scagoemparts.com/pages/oe...7e44%7c%7e0033

Old 08-26-2015, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks like the valve runs for about $8.......

http://www.louisvilletractor.com/pag.../s/SCG//484593

Old 08-26-2015, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks so much for looking up the part. I can't believe the cost of that hose. Ridiculous. Anyway I'm going to call a dealer or something and verify the thread and pitch on that valve. Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2015, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I suspect the cost of that hose is about $10 ..... I can't explain that price listed on that Scag Site.

I went back to my Cheetah and reviewed the hose and oil drain valve. It's exactly what I remembered. Easy open, easy pour, easy back in it's safety loop........

I hope you find one at a low price ......