Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-06-2014, 07:36 PM
tagman9111 tagman9111 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Spencerport, NY
Posts: 40
Best mower for 1/4 acre

I currently use a Honda HRX mower on my own quarter acre yard. I wanted to upgrade to something more efficient.

I have considered an Exmark 30, Wide Area Walk 36" and a 42 or 48 zero turn.

I have done a lot of research and it seems like there aren't enough positive reviews to justify the $1800 on the 30. It seems like 36" belt drive walk behinds are far inferior to hydros, but a hydro unit is very expensive for my use. And residential zero turns are junk compared to the commercial units which also cost 2-3x more. Brand loyalty is also worse than Chevy Dodge Ford debates too. I guess I haven't walked away with anything positive after reading what people have to say.

Can anyone suggest something that is better than the Honda? Not opposed to spending money, but 5-6K for my use seems high. Otherwise, I guess my other options would be to keep the Honda or hire a service, which at 31 yrs old is an embarassment.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Ditta&Sons's Avatar
Ditta&Sons Ditta&Sons is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario
Posts: 745
if youre only cutting 25 times per year for 20 minutes at a time, a homeowner unit might do just fine
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-06-2014, 08:05 PM
PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 997
A 36" walk behind would be perfect for you. Yeah belts are inferior to hydros for sure, but you're cutting your own, 1/4 lawn. I have a belt drive bobcat 48" and cut 40 lawns a week part time. Trust me it'll be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-06-2014, 08:08 PM
beano beano is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 388
I second the 36" belt drive. While a hydro is much nicer, if your only doing your own lawn, its more than enough mower and you should be able to get a good deal on one this time of year.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-06-2014, 08:23 PM
tagman9111 tagman9111 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Spencerport, NY
Posts: 40
What brand? A lot of the dealers around here are out of stock on 36" walk behinds. We have scag, exmark, gravely, ferris, hustler, bobcat, Toro.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-06-2014, 08:47 PM
ilike2mow's Avatar
ilike2mow ilike2mow is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Gainesville Florida
Posts: 366
Go with one of the belt walk behinds. A zero turn is overkill for a 1/4 acre patch of grass.
__________________
Honda HRR216VKA Mower
Honda HRS216SDA Mower
Echo SRM-225 String Trimmer
Echo PE-200 Edger
Echo HC-152 Hedge Trimmer
Echo PAS-230 with Articulating Hedge Trimmer
Echo CS-370 Chainsaw
Husqvarna 130-BT Backpack Blower

Check out my youtube channel for lawn care videos and small engine repair!

https://www.youtube.com/ilike2mow
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-06-2014, 09:00 PM
PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagman9111 View Post
What brand? A lot of the dealers around here are out of stock on 36" walk behinds. We have scag, exmark, gravely, ferris, hustler, bobcat, Toro.
Posted via Mobile Device
All are good, and everyone will tell you something different.

My recs are:
Get a kawi engine, if you can't, settle for a kohler. Do not get a Briggs.

I'm a big exmark fan, especially when it comes to walk behinds. Toro stuff is good too, same company, but exmark stuff holds up better I think. Just from what I've seen. More than likely just a fluke. But exmark is the way to go I think.

Bobcat will get the job done and holds up, scag stuff holds up real well, no experience with gravely or hustler. Ferris mowers stripe real nice but The company I worked for previously had a lot of problems with newer models. They are great mowers, I loved using them, but the problems the last year I was there really turned me off to them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-06-2014, 09:09 PM
tagman9111 tagman9111 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Spencerport, NY
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
All are good, and everyone will tell you something different.

My recs are:
Get a kawi engine, if you can't, settle for a kohler. Do not get a Briggs.

I'm a big exmark fan, especially when it comes to walk behinds. Toro stuff is good too, same company, but exmark stuff holds up better I think. Just from what I've seen. More than likely just a fluke. But exmark is the way to go I think.

Bobcat will get the job done and holds up, scag stuff holds up real well, no experience with gravely or hustler. Ferris mowers stripe real nice but The company I worked for previously had a lot of problems with newer models. They are great mowers, I loved using them, but the problems the last year I was there really turned me off to them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the info. I can get a 36" exmark metro for $3600, 36" Bob cat for $3300, 36" scag for $3800. Toro T bar 36 for $3500. Also, a hustler trimstar for $4500. Leaning towards the exmark.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-06-2014, 09:58 PM
PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagman9111 View Post
Thanks for the info. I can get a 36" exmark metro for $3600, 36" Bob cat for $3300, 36" scag for $3800. Toro T bar 36 for $3500. Also, a hustler trimstar for $4500. Leaning towards the exmark.
Posted via Mobile Device
Look more at the engines, hp and brand when comparing prices
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-06-2014, 10:56 PM
oqueoque oqueoque is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: haddon hts. nj
Posts: 535
The HRX is the best mower for you. If you were doing this as business, then the 15 minutes you might save is important because you would save that time on 20 or so lawns a day, giving you a lot of extra time to make more $.

I would take the 5-6 K and invest it in something, then when you get tired of cutting your own lawn, take the dividends or profit from that investment and use the $ to pay someone to cut it for you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:44 AM.

Page generated in 0.08172 seconds with 9 queries