Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-15-2014, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Member

My first Zero turn

I'm in the hunt for my first ZTR and could use a lot of help. I currently mow only my 2acres and it takes about 4.5hr with my slowly dying lawn tractor (yard machine). I also have around 200' of chain link fence and a dozen trees to contend with. One of the big reasons I'm looking into zero turns is the time savings. I'd rather play with my kids than mow all Saturday.

Looking around at the dealers, we have Toro, Scag, Exmark, Kubota and Ferris. There may be a hustler dealer as well.

So far I've looked at:
Toro Titan ZX 52"
Ferris IS600 48"

Planning to look at:
Kubota z127s
scag freedom z

I've set my budget at a max of 6k including tax. In addition to saving time, I also want a mower that will last. 15 years of residential use doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Majority of commercial mowers here seem to use Scag, if that helps.

I have also found a used 2013 exmark pioneer s 48" for 5k. It only has 49hr on it. I'm thinking hard on it but read issues on here with the deck in wet grass. Not sure if a heavy dew would cause issues or it it needs to be a downpour.

What would be your two (or 3) top choices and why? I've given myself migraines comparing motors, decks, hydros etc. I need some help.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give as much info as possible.

Thank you,
Chris
Old 11-15-2014, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My first Zero turn

I'd buy a full commercial machine. It will be much faster and stronger. And I hate to buy used stuff but the homeowner stuff is crap
Old 11-15-2014, 05:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybrown View Post
I'd buy a full commercial machine. It will be much faster and stronger. And I hate to buy used stuff but the homeowner stuff is crap
He's only mowing his own property with it.

he doesn't need a 4 door diesel dully 4x4 drive to get milk and eggs.
he doesn't need a turf tiger to mow his lawn.

That being said, don't buy a toro titan

The Ferris Is600 will do you fine.

Scag Freedom and Hustler fastrack are of similar build/quality
Old 11-15-2014, 05:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollerstiltner View Post
I'm in the hunt for my first ZTR and could use a lot of help. I currently mow only my 2acres and it takes about 4.5hr with my slowly dying lawn tractor (yard machine). I also have around 200' of chain link fence and a dozen trees to contend with. One of the big reasons I'm looking into zero turns is the time savings. I'd rather play with my kids than mow all Saturday.

Looking around at the dealers, we have Toro, Scag, Exmark, Kubota and Ferris. There may be a hustler dealer as well.

So far I've looked at:
Toro Titan ZX 52"
Ferris IS600 48"

Planning to look at:
Kubota z127s
scag freedom z

I've set my budget at a max of 6k including tax. In addition to saving time, I also want a mower that will last. 15 years of residential use doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Majority of commercial mowers here seem to use Scag, if that helps.

I have also found a used 2013 exmark pioneer s 48" for 5k. It only has 49hr on it. I'm thinking hard on it but read issues on here with the deck in wet grass. Not sure if a heavy dew would cause issues or it it needs to be a downpour.

What would be your two (or 3) top choices and why? I've given myself migraines comparing motors, decks, hydros etc. I need some help.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give as much info as possible.

Thank you,
Chris
don't get the pioneer.

IF the majority of commercial machines in your are are scag, that tells you something.
The scag dealer is big, meaning good support from a dealer that isn't going anywhere.

Walk right in and buy a Freedom Z, my guess would be to go with a 48" see if you can't get a tiger striping kit for it, the look is amazing.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

TPendagast, thanks for all the advice. I'll see if I can get in to look at the scag soon. The ferris and a toro dealer are both on the way home. A toro dealer is actually about 1.5mi from my house. Oh,the local scag dealer also carries toro.

It was mentioned to avoid the toro Titan. Why is that? It looks good on paper when compared to the scag. Both have FR Kawasaki motors with the toro being slightly more powerful. The toro also has 3100 hydros vs 2800 on the freedom z.

The ferris sounds good as well too as it has the Kawasaki FR series motor and should be 3400 hydros. I'm unsure of the dealer though. They have been in business 20 years though so they must be doing something right.

I see a few high end Deeres here as well. JD has a plant down the road, but it looks like they may be out of my budget.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would recommend the Ferris above all the others for a few reasons.
1. Suspension Technology- will ride better making you feel better after being done vs the other brands
2. Commercial Grade Deck- iCD deck is top notch and is used on the full blown commercial grade unit so you know it is built stout and does an amazing job.
3. Hydro Gear 3400 Transaxles- Commercial Grade
4 Basically this machine is a commercial grade mower in a small package designed for a homeowner.

If you want to save a few hundred bucks you cant opt for the Briggs Commercial Turf engine over the Kawasaki. These are as good as Kawasaki and should save you around $300. They did have some issues with some of the first Commercial Turf engines but have since resolved that issues and we do not see hardly any issues with them now.

Plus Ferris you get a 4 year warranty or 500 hours. But with you only mowing 2 acres you will run out of time before you ever reach 500 hours. That is about the best in the business!
Old 11-15-2014, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the ferris.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollerstiltner View Post
TPendagast, thanks for all the advice. I'll see if I can get in to look at the scag soon. The ferris and a toro dealer are both on the way home. A toro dealer is actually about 1.5mi from my house. Oh,the local scag dealer also carries toro.

It was mentioned to avoid the toro Titan. Why is that? It looks good on paper when compared to the scag. Both have FR Kawasaki motors with the toro being slightly more powerful. The toro also has 3100 hydros vs 2800 on the freedom z.

The ferris sounds good as well too as it has the Kawasaki FR series motor and should be 3400 hydros. I'm unsure of the dealer though. They have been in business 20 years though so they must be doing something right.

I see a few high end Deeres here as well. JD has a plant down the road, but it looks like they may be out of my budget.
Toro titan is just too mini, for a rider, it's more about the frame and construction overall not the sum of it's parts.

The Ferris and Scag are built much tougher.
And something no one realizes when you are a new ZTR rider? You scuff em up pretty good. Ultra powerful hydros don't mix well with weak frame and deck.
So you will end up with a lot of twisted/bent stuff with a Titan.
I used to see a lot of them than needed straightening/repairs.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchacres View Post
I would recommend the Ferris above all the others for a few reasons.
1. Suspension Technology- will ride better making you feel better after being done vs the other brands
2. Commercial Grade Deck- iCD deck is top notch and is used on the full blown commercial grade unit so you know it is built stout and does an amazing job.
3. Hydro Gear 3400 Transaxles- Commercial Grade
4 Basically this machine is a commercial grade mower in a small package designed for a homeowner.

If you want to save a few hundred bucks you cant opt for the Briggs Commercial Turf engine over the Kawasaki. These are as good as Kawasaki and should save you around $300. They did have some issues with some of the first Commercial Turf engines but have since resolved that issues and we do not see hardly any issues with them now.

Plus Ferris you get a 4 year warranty or 500 hours. But with you only mowing 2 acres you will run out of time before you ever reach 500 hours. That is about the best in the business!
The IS600 isn't a homeowner unit, it has the features of a "full blown" commercial unit, because it IS a full blown commercial unit.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

After hearing all this it looks like I need to move the ferris to the top of the contenders list with the freedom z a close second. Kubota possibly in 3rd.

Looked in the local exmark dealer today. All they had were pioneer s models which are out of my price range. He was very friendly and honest though. He said any of the local dealers' machines would do well with the exception of John Deere. I don't believe I'll go exmark, but I appreciate his honesty.

Now I just need to visit the scag and kubota dealer to see those machines first hand.