Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2014, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Just a regular homeowner

Just moved into our new home a few months ago with 3.2AC in southern VA. Not looking for an estate property but I'm trying to make it as nice as possible without running an expensive fertilization program or installing thousands worth of irrigation. Through semi-regular mowing (my wife is about to pop and I'm gone a lot), we've managed to make the property look presentable. I joined mostly for advice on mowers, which I should have done before I made my first purchase Now I'm on here trying to reconcile my mistake and make sure things go right the second time around.

-Randy

Old 10-18-2014, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Whatever you've been doing seems to be working. The second picture shows just how much the appearance of the grass has improved. My smile got even broader when I saw the new flag pole and flags. Thank you for flying them. I have a tract home with only 5000 sf of grass so I can't add any suggestions on what goals you should try to attain.

Dennis in Boise
Old 10-18-2014, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Like Dennis said, "Well done!" You have a host of options available. What is your budget? New or would you be open to a good used commercial unit? Rider, stander or walk behind?

Congrats, too on the new baby. Praying for a safe delivery and that the mother remains healthy.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks! To be fair, the first picture was taken late April/early May, so the broadleaf was still booming and the bermuda was not quite in full bloom. My approach with this lawn was to let nature work in my favor. I started cutting at about 1.75" to try and suffocate the weeds and let the bermuda thrive. It has worked well so far, however there is still a lot of work to go. I try to keep my expectations reasonable for a lawn that receives no input other than mowing. This winter I'm going to TRY and dethatch (the previous owner had a bad habit of letting the grass get WAY too long) and next season I'm going to try a pre-emergent and see if that helps thicken the bermuda.

sjessen, I actually made a separate thread about the raptor but I'll address it here as well. I'm not 100% sure what my budget is. I'm not made of money but I take a lot of pride in the presentation of my yard and home. What I do know is the system on the SD doesn't provide the cut I desire, at least not with the blades I have tried. I have a set of Oregon G5's, however they arrived the day the mower went into the shop last week so I haven't a chance to try them out and see if they improve the cut quality.

I've entertained moving into an X-One to get the VX-4 deck, or a Tiger Cat, however that's a significant price jump (~52%). I would enjoy the decreased cutting time and improved cut quality, not sure if I can justify that amount for a mower though. I really do appreciate the help my dealer has provided so I would like to stay with them, however they only sell Toro and Hustler. I managed to get a very short demo on floor model Toro MX-5400 and it seemed to cut well for what I saw, however in the interest of not screwing them on a brand new floor unit, I haven't asked to bring it out to my house and mow for an hour or so with it.

So, now that I've really not given you any useful info I can at least say this; riders are all that I'm interested in. I would prefer a new unit for the warranty, I'm gone a lot and appreciate having a quality dealer I can rely on to maintain an expensive piece of grass cutting machinery while the wife is abusing it, along with having years of accountability for anything that should arise, such as with this last mower. HOWEVER, should I ever run across someone selling a unit that looks like it was cared for by me, I might entertain it. But then we go back to wanting to stick with this dealer. If I end up cutting ties with them, a used mower is something I will definitely entertain.

The baby came out just fine! Can't complain when three doctors comment on how well endowed he is
Old 10-19-2014, 06:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hustler Fasttrack might be an option.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Hustler Fasttrack might be an option.
The deck design doesn't change until the X-One
Old 10-19-2014, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I would say a weed-eater and 5 gallons of mixed gas and about 2 rows of string and your ready to go
Old 10-19-2014, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyJ266 View Post
The deck design doesn't change until the X-One
My guess is you are going to want some sort of commercial mower. Oftentimes, one can find a good deal over the winter - as much as 50% off original selling price. Watch Craig's list and Ebay among other sites. Some dealers also have a bulletin board with used equipment for sale.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
My guess is you are going to want some sort of commercial mower. Oftentimes, one can find a good deal over the winter - as much as 50% off original selling price. Watch Craig's list and Ebay among other sites. Some dealers also have a bulletin board with used equipment for sale.
I'll keep an eyeball peeled and talk to my dealer as well. I've got a SCAG dealer that is already offering $7,500 for a 52" Tiger Cat and my current dealer at $7,900 for a 60" X-One. I'll see how the prices change after the first frost.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Stopped by the one and only JD dealer today after reading several threads about how people loved the 7Iron decks. Test drove a 915B and it was a bit to get used to, the wheel motors felt very touchy compared to the Hustler. The guy only had a 60" 930R as a demo but assured me the 7iron and 7ironPRO were the same with the exception of a step on the pro. I had it delivered and went to cutting half the yard as I had a loaner X-one being delivered to use while my RaptorSD was being repaired. The only thing I liked better about the X-one was the clipping dispersal. Even with low lift, severely damaged blades, the 7iron cut was night and day compared to the VX4 which had sharpened, higher lift blades. I wasn't a fan of how wide the JD was because it required a little more attention edging around 31 trees, no big deal though. After hopping on the X the controls felt sloppy and it was much harder to maintain course.

In the brief conversation I had with the JD dealer he mentioned the 915's were selling for $6,999. That would be a $2,500 increase over the Raptor SD but I think I'd finally be satisfied with a cut like this. I might end up returning the SD and going green. We will see...