Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2011, 04:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMitch View Post
Thanks for the reply Capemay,

I own a Kubota tractor and the guy that services it for me was the one who got me thinking bout the ZT's. I drove a diesel Kubota ZT first. It seemed the least maneuverable of the machines I have driven, but I was the least experienced then too.

Like you I kinda like Hustler as a company. I drove a Super Z with a 31hp Kawasaki engine and rear-discharge deck although it felt big I liked it. When the dealer turned the throttle all the way up though it seemed quite loud and scary fast. The dealer told me the diesels were a good deal louder which soured me on them. I may go back and try a smaller model and or a diesel. The brochure I was given lists X-Ones with rear-discharge decks. Although the sales rep said they were not available, I am wondering if it is just a new offering. Have not driven a SCAG yet either. I have read some good reports on the SCAG TT or Cheetah with Vanguard engines. The dealer that sells Hustler also carries SCAG but tried to throw cold water on any interest I might have in SCAG.

I found another dealer in the area who sounds good. He just carries SCAG and ExMark though. I would like to buy from a dealer that I feel confident will be there if I need service. The Hustler dealer is a Rental business that did not impress appearance wise. Although, they have tons of Hustler mowers they rent out, so one would assume they are well versed in their care and feeding.

The Super Z with rear-discharge is at about the max I think I should spend which may toss me out of the diesel market. I expect a Bad Boy Commercial grade would handle my needs for maybe $2,000 less, but I think the Hustler is an even heavier duty machine that should present the least problems service wise. I am not that confident with the 31hp Kawasaki engine though and I know it is bad on gas. I am not excited about the engine offerings on the Super Z's but I am not sure my concerns are justified either. I plan to ask about the Kohler Command EFI 29hp I see in the new brochure, as I believe it should get better gas mileage and may be more reliable.
4-6 acres a week is very light duty for a commercial ZTR. The kawasaki motors are the best there is. Your over thinking this. Not sure why your worried about mileage. It will run 2 hrs a week. It will cost you maybe a gallon of gas. If it were me, i would get a ferris is2000 with the big deck and call it a day.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 07-07-2011, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Me over think, never!

Like some of the commercial guys I will probably spend more time on my mower than I do in my car. Will drive this beast from the house up and down the steep hill to our dog housing & training building and all over 12 acres. So I guess it isn't just a mower to me, it's a ride.

I will go look at a Ferris, several people have mentioned them. I like the suspension systems. Their suspensions appear to be a much more functional part of the machine design than an after thought. The mowing speeds seem a little low but I have seen in other threads that they can actually do 12 mph and as I have said the Hustler seemed over fast to me. I am guessing 8-10mph is as fast as most people mow even on terrain that is more level than mine.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had thought that you had mentioned cutting much more than six acres, I also thought you said something about 8 acres of open fields aswell? Along with cutting neighbors properties with another additional four acres? As Punt said, if your just cutting 4-6 acres a week, any commercial machine is built for that and much more, it is actually nothing at all. If indeed you are only mowing 4-6 acres a week I say the the Super Z is overkill, I would look into a Hustler X-One or even the Hustler Superduty would be adequate enough. The Ferris IS2000 is also very impressive! Also, don't worry about the speed of the machine, you will get used to it and in some cases you are pushing the sticks and wishing you had some more! It is sort of like a Harley, people go out and buy a Sportster and in two months they are trading it in on a Big V twin!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 07-07-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I am guessing the actual acreage. For now I have maybe 4-5 acres of my own grass to cut, 3-4 in fields, another maybe 1-2 in wooded areas. Another part of the same fields (was one 100+ acre pony farm) are owned by 4 different home owners. I have been asked to mow the largest part of those neighbors fields, maybe another 2 acres I guess. Hmmm maybe this makes me a commercial mower?

Tracking is an important part of what I do with my dogs. I may have occasion to mow much larger fields. The school across the road has 20-30 acres of the same fields from the pony farm. I track on those fields. Although the school mows their fields I may have to offer to mow occasionally to retain the use of them. When we do large trials, may host the national championship sometime soon, we will need maybe 40 acres. For regional and national events and large seminars the grass will need to be mowed at a precise time prior to the event. At this point I can not predict that need. I would like to have a mower that could handle these larger jobs when the need arrises though. Some times large land owners and farmers are receptive to letting us use their fields if we mow them. Since this is not a predictable need and the jump in amount of grass to mow is so large I'm not eager to buy something specifically to handle that kind of area.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scags are nice machines as well. The scag cheetah has a suspension system that is pretty nice as well. A fastrak sd, ferris is2000, or a scag tiger cat is what i would look at imo. The cheetah is pretty pricey.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2011, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacTrustee View Post
I am relatively new to mowing & definitely new to ZTR. I am a trustee at a church with a little over 2 acres. We've been repairing our standard ride on Craftsman Tractor about every two weeks for the years & are finally done. I am looking at ZTR's. Specifically, some already mentioned (not looking for answers on which tractor right now) Comm- SCAG FReedom Z, Exmark ?? , Snapper Pro S150, & Residential - TOROTime Cutter Z.

My questions now are: We cut around a parking lot, driveway, about 10 trees, playground, house, shed, dumpster, large church building, elevation changes, etc. We use volunteers. Is a ZTR with the push pull handles a good idea in these conditions with unexperience ZTR'ers? or should we go with something like Club Cadets iseries ZTR?

I ask because I read someone elsewhere in here mentioning how the ZTR's don't have standard throttle & brakes & I am a little apprehensive in letting noob's jump on a 5k tractor & go at it.
Not a problem unless you have hills on the property. A ZTR is very easy to operate on flat ground. Not the case if you are going DOWN hills.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

A little help deciding on a used ZTR

I have an acre of weeds/grass around my house and I am trying to get it under control. I bought a used craftsman riding mower last year with a hydro transmission and now it ginds and will not go anywhere. So now I am trying to get into a ZTR mower to try and cut my mowing time down. I also thought a ZTR would be more reliable than a big store riding mower. I am looking at a Gravely ZT1640 with 500hrs on it, also a Cub Cadet 3648 with 375hrs on it and a brand new Country Clipper Jazeeone. I have a dealer close by for all three units.

2005 Gravely ZT1640 $1800.00

2001 Cub Cadet 3648 $1400.00

2007 Never Registered Country Clipper Jazeeone $2695.00

Thank you all for your help!
Old 07-09-2011, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Great info in this thread and appreciate all the advice from those with more experience than someone such as myself. I'm currently in the market for a Zero Turn Mower and it will be my first ZTR. I have 2+ acres very little of which is level. I have one slope I consider moderate to severe. I've been looking at Husky Fastrak and Bad Boy CZT. Also recently started looking into Exmark Lazer and Pioneer series. I'm hoping to stay in the $5500 price range and would like to hear opinions on these mowers. From reading this thread I may be getting more than I need for 2 acres but with the slope I have, I figured something along the entry level commercial grade would suit my needs best. Thanks in advance for all info.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlexTN View Post
Great info in this thread and appreciate all the advice from those with more experience than someone such as myself. I'm currently in the market for a Zero Turn Mower and it will be my first ZTR. I have 2+ acres very little of which is level. I have one slope I consider moderate to severe. I've been looking at Husky Fastrak and Bad Boy CZT. Also recently started looking into Exmark Lazer and Pioneer series. I'm hoping to stay in the $5500 price range and would like to hear opinions on these mowers. From reading this thread I may be getting more than I need for 2 acres but with the slope I have, I figured something along the entry level commercial grade would suit my needs best. Thanks in advance for all info.
Take a pic of the slope for us to see. You may not even be able to put a ztr on it.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 07-09-2011, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't think its too severe for a ztr, but pics coming.