Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2011, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Grass Catcher Bagger Recommendations ?

Just bought Scag SFZ36 and I'am looking for bagger/catcher recommendations.

The $1200.00 for the Scag power bagger is out of my budget and $300.00 for the catcher seemed high also.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these two: http://cgi.ebay.com/Grass-Catcher-Ba...item3366d0dcac or http://cgi.ebay.com/GRASS-CATCHER-BA...item414af6b53f

Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

A couple of months ago I was arguing back and forth in my head about which ZTR to buy...an Exmark or a Ferris. I ended up going with the Exmark and yesterday discovered I'd definitely made the right decision...I drove by the Ferris dealer and saw that he has gone out of business.

Sometimes even a blind pig finds the acorn.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark dealer here went out of business and the Ferris dealer has been in business since 1962
Stihl FS90R
Shindaiwa EB212 Blower
Stihl MS250
Kubota MX5000
Old 07-18-2011, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

The new yard was a soybean field last year, so reasonably flat. Building a home, so not a lot of obstacles yet. Will start grass in the fall.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Is anyone here using commercial walk behinds on their residential property? I have just at an acre. I will probably have another acre in September. I have been looking at used commercial walk behinds in hopes that they are rugged enough for cutting into brush and mowing my lawn. I use the term lawn loosely because I am not in a subdivided neighborhood when lawn/turf was laid. My property was cleared 30 years ago and I have whatever kind of grass that grows after you clear woods.

I'm looking at something like this 36" Skag:

The mower looks pretty sound. It has a 15 HP Kohler engine. (Same one being discussed in this thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=274698). It seems that consumer line products just aren't doing a good job for me anymore, ie too many breakdowns or equipment just plain tearing up/ragged out.

Last edited by terceslil; 07-30-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

The Scag was already sold. I'm still looking for a commercial walk behind and ya'lls input about using these commercial walk behinds on your residential yard.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

When I went to look for a mower 'upgrade' from my old Lawnboys a walk behind mower was what I wanted, and still actually do. The advantages, IMO, for them over a ZTR are cost (comparing feature to feature), less weight which can mean less turf damage, and they usually are complimented on providing a clean cut (probably because you are mowing slower). Unfortunately walk behinds are non-existent where I live. I have only seen one or two commercial units using them as everyone uses ZTRs. My Ferris dealer, who is one of if not the largest OPE suppliers in the area, might have one or two walk behinds in stock next to 20 or 30 ZTRs. I often think that for a homeowner with an acre or less to mow a walk behind is the best choice. The only thing a ZTR might have an advantage over a walk behind on is throughput, but on an acre or less the difference is probably measured in minutes.
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Old 07-30-2011, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I mow my 2 acres with an Exmark 48 TTHP. The front 3rd of my property has a pretty good slope to it so that pretty much ruled out a ZTR. I have an Exmark stand-on sulky for it however I prefer to walk & get the excercise.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by terceslil View Post
The Scag was already sold. I'm still looking for a commercial walk behind and ya'lls input about using these commercial walk behinds on your residential yard.
A walkbehind would do great but for munch as yard you got i would get a 48inch deck.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terceslil View Post
Is anyone here using commercial walk behinds on their residential property? I have just at an acre. I will probably have another acre in September. I have been looking at used commercial walk behinds in hopes that they are rugged enough for cutting into brush and mowing my lawn. I use the term lawn loosely because I am not in a subdivided neighborhood when lawn/turf was laid. My property was cleared 30 years ago and I have whatever kind of grass that grows after you clear woods.

I'm looking at something like this 36" Skag:

The mower looks pretty sound. It has a 15 HP Kohler engine. (Same one being discussed in this thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=274698). It seems that consumer line products just aren't doing a good job for me anymore, ie too many breakdowns or equipment just plain tearing up/ragged out.
You are looking in the right direction! Scag, Toro and Exmark build a great walkbehind! Any of these machines will take what you give them and ask for more! A walk behind will certainly leave a nice cut and most say they stripe better.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own