Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-04-2011, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avguy View Post
Lol........everything I have is overkill.

Overkill is great!! LOL my wife insist that I buy overkill, because she knows how I get when I buy the wrong thing! The way I see it, if you are going to lay down the cash, you better get what you want, buyers remorse sucks! I am sure most of us get it!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 09-16-2011, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

need advice ASAP on ZTR for approx 10 acres

I am trying to do some research on ZTR mowers before my husband makes a hasty decision. He has had a Dixon for about 8 years on the advice of a neighbor, but has had many problems with it. Bad Boy has now been recommended to him and he is about to buy a BB ZT 60 inch at a local dealer. I see they also sell this model at Tractor Supply for about $500 less than the dealer. The catalogue shows this model as for "0-2 acres, commercial quality build, residential duty power". We have approximately 10 acres; about one acre around the house and the rest in a field with trees that sometimes grows about 8 inches or so before it is mowed. A lawn service man who sometimes mows for us agrees the Dixon is not up to the job; he has a Toro.
I am trying to research these mowers/features/warranties before my husband buys the Bad Boy. Do you think this model of BB is the right one given the size of our property? Do you have a recommendation of brands/models that might be better? He wants a 60 inch and the price of the BB ZT is between $4500-$5000. We could spend more if it is a better value.
Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Personally i would look into something a little more tried and true... Toro z master, exmark lazer z, scag tiger cat, hustler fastrak sd, bobcat procat... You have alot of property and you will want something that will take the abuse of that much ground and hold up well. Also go around and get a feel for dealers near you as that will be equally important for maintenance and service. Lots of good info on here to research and dont let him make a hasty decision just yet. Buyers remorse is the worst!!! And since your budget is flexible i would in your shoes use that to your advantage for a better experience in the long run.
Chris
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2011, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks!

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I'll start looking into your recommendations.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They will be a bit more expensive but well worth it in the long run. These are mowers that should last a good time. I have a couple husqvarna zeros, one is an mz6128zt which can be bought for 4500 new. Also have a husqvarna pz5426 which is a full commercial mower but i also have a business. I just picked up a 2002'toro z master in great shape. Yes thats almost 10 years old and is still very sound so if you are willing to part with a little more $ then you will get a great mower for years to come. I would also look at commercial grade models with as much property as you are describing. Not that bb is a bad mower i just dont care for them personally.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2011, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Bought an ExMark

Thanks again for the advice. I found an ExMark dealer a few miles away. When my husband saw them and took a test drive he said, "Now you've shown me a Cadillac; I won't be happy with the other one (Bad Boy)". So, he bought an ExMark Lazer Z 60" with a Kohler engine. It has a five year warranty. The dealer is going to sell our old Dixon and we are happy with the price. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewife View Post
I am trying to do some research on ZTR mowers before my husband makes a hasty decision. He has had a Dixon for about 8 years on the advice of a neighbor, but has had many problems with it. Bad Boy has now been recommended to him and he is about to buy a BB ZT 60 inch at a local dealer. I see they also sell this model at Tractor Supply for about $500 less than the dealer. The catalogue shows this model as for "0-2 acres, commercial quality build, residential duty power". We have approximately 10 acres; about one acre around the house and the rest in a field with trees that sometimes grows about 8 inches or so before it is mowed. A lawn service man who sometimes mows for us agrees the Dixon is not up to the job; he has a Toro.
I am trying to research these mowers/features/warranties before my husband buys the Bad Boy. Do you think this model of BB is the right one given the size of our property? Do you have a recommendation of brands/models that might be better? He wants a 60 inch and the price of the BB ZT is between $4500-$5000. We could spend more if it is a better value.
Thank you for any advice you can offer.
10 acres is allot IMO for a ZT60, no doubt it could do it, but longevity would be a major issue. As Diesel already said, you may want something a little more commercial. If you budget is at 5K and you can swing 6K, I would look at the CZT, which is the same as the ZT60 but with a few more commercial components such at ZT3400 transmission and a Vanguard engine! I owned this unit for a short time, but was a little to big for my property, but indeed a nice machine. There is also the Badboy PUP and BadBoy Lightning these two are commercial machines and built for your acreage, but as you move up the line, the price will increase and these machines will push you into the high 6K Range and mid 7K's.

As I always do, I would recommend Hustler! Just a class act in the industry. I would suggest the Hustler SuperDuty 60". A very popular model with many homeowners on this forum. I myself own a Superduty 42" and I love it! There are are also many other great name plates, it kind of just falls on what dealer you are comfortable with and what machine feels right. You cannot go wrong with Hustler, Exmark, Gravely, Bobcat, Ferris and Scag! Look around and let us know what you find! Look for some dealer specials, many guys here that can help you with your purchase and put you in the right seat!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 09-17-2011, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewife View Post
Thanks again for the advice. I found an ExMark dealer a few miles away. When my husband saw them and took a test drive he said, "Now you've shown me a Cadillac; I won't be happy with the other one (Bad Boy)". So, he bought an ExMark Lazer Z 60" with a Kohler engine. It has a five year warranty. The dealer is going to sell our old Dixon and we are happy with the price. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post.
You made a great choice........enjoy!
Old 09-17-2011, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Awesome!! You wont be dissapointed...congrats on the exmark.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2011, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I missed the post that you got yourself a new Laser Z! Congrats, you got the right machine for the job!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90