Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-22-2011, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Looking for a zt to mow about 2.5 acres

Wanting to get opinions on a mower.

Been reading, comparing and my head is spinning. I have about 2.5 acres out of my 3 acres that i mow at my home that mostly flat with a one area at the street that has a roll off to my front yard. not too many obstacles. I am mowing right now with a 54 inch 24hp Husqvarna lawn tractor.

I started looking at the Bad Boy CZT but thought if i spend some more i could get a 54 or 61inch Outlaw and get a better mower for my money. I have been looking at others that i have seen recommended on the forum here. but when i compare them, the Outlaw seems to be on top in the specs in this price range. I have also looked at the Husqvarna MZ6128ZT

Am I going overboard looking at the specs. bigger engines, trans size, speed, blade speed...for what i am going to use this for? I wont be mowing commercially.

to sum it up, I am looking to cut my mowing time, get a quality mower that gives a quality cut, and I am willing to spend more to get more.
Looking for the best bang for my money.

I am going to say that my spending limit would be at $7000.
what are you thoughts on the best mower under $7000, $6000. with a mowing speed around 10 mph or better.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 09-22-2011, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Theres no such thing as too much research!! I have an mz6128 and love it! Your right. Spend a little more get a little more. Theres alot of options. Hustler, scag, exmark, toro, badboy, bobcat, ferris... Get demo's where possible and look for good dealer support. Take your time and get whats right for you!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2011, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Has anybody seen an Exmark Pioneer E-Series ZTR in person? I'm curious as to know if the floor pan can be lifted/raised (on a hinge) for access to the deck, and if the discharge chute is on a spring loaded hinge or a regular hinge.

Kevin
Old 09-30-2011, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy657 View Post
Wanting to get opinions on a mower.

Been reading, comparing and my head is spinning. I have about 2.5 acres out of my 3 acres that i mow at my home that mostly flat with a one area at the street that has a roll off to my front yard. not too many obstacles. I am mowing right now with a 54 inch 24hp Husqvarna lawn tractor.

I started looking at the Bad Boy CZT but thought if i spend some more i could get a 54 or 61inch Outlaw and get a better mower for my money. I have been looking at others that i have seen recommended on the forum here. but when i compare them, the Outlaw seems to be on top in the specs in this price range. I have also looked at the Husqvarna MZ6128ZT

Am I going overboard looking at the specs. bigger engines, trans size, speed, blade speed...for what i am going to use this for? I wont be mowing commercially.

to sum it up, I am looking to cut my mowing time, get a quality mower that gives a quality cut, and I am willing to spend more to get more.
Looking for the best bang for my money.

I am going to say that my spending limit would be at $7000.
what are you thoughts on the best mower under $7000, $6000. with a mowing speed around 10 mph or better.

Thanks,

Ken
Hustler SuperDuty 60" would be a machine to look at! I would see if you could demo one at your home and see how it works for you! A fantastic machine! Many, many members over the years have bought this machine! I have the Superduty 42" and love it!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 10-10-2011, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Hello everyone! Glad to be a part of this fine community. Hope to learn alot! Anyway, need some good solid advice on the purchase of a new ZRT. I have between 1/3 - 1/2 acre to mow. I have been mowing this with a 22" Toro walk behind and while I enjoy cutting grass, it takes me about an hour or so just to cut the lawn. If I have to bag leaves, forget it...It'll double my time.

I am looking to shorten my mow time considerably. I have flat land so I am thinking a 42" ZRT would work nicely. I have a budget of $2500ish and am currently looking at Simplicty Axion/Snapper 150z 42" and Toro Timecutter SS4235. Dad always had Simplicity's and loved them. I currently have Toro and seems to be ok. I know I can get the Kaw motor on the Toro, but Simplicity will be more compact and take up less space in my garage. Are there any other ZRT's I should be considering? Not sure I want/need commercial quality, just really nice quality residential

Your thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Given an hour to mow your lawn I suspect you are actually mowing less than 1/3 of acre. In any event, another option for you might be to look at a wide area walk behind if they are available in your area. The larger deck size will cut down your mowing time considerably. In addition walk behinds are typically less expensive than ZTRs. For a lawn your size the difference in mowing time between a large walk behind and a ZTR could be measured in minutes. See if you can find a Snapper Pro dealer near you. Their walk behinds are re-bagged Ferris mowers which get fairly good reviews in general. Hustler also makes a good walk behind but it is more expensive than the Snappers. Just a thought on a different option.
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Old 10-10-2011, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also check craigslist and ebay as there are some great deals on walkbehinds as well. I would really consider that as you could pick up a very nice exmark or scag... Hydro walkbehind even for 2500ish. Just my .02
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2011, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree.....I use an Exmark 48 TTHP walk behind on my 2 acres. I generally like to walk just for the exercise but occasionally I do get lazy & use the sulky. See if you can get a demo from one of your local dealers. There are many good brands out there. You might be surprised how fast & maneuverable they are.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't really considered a larger walk behind as I thought they would not be very maneuverable and cumbersome to use. Something 36" - 38" would be ideal but that can be hard to find in a ZRT that's why I was considering a 42". A walk behind might be available in that 36" - 38" range though.

I also saw that Ariens makes a 34" ZRT. Good option or am i still better served by a walk behind?

Gary
Old 10-11-2011, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bring your budget up $500 or 600 bucks if you can and you can get into a Hustler 42" Sport or the Badboy MZ series with a 42" deck and a Briggs pro 21 hp engine! I am not sure what the Hustler is starting at, but I think it starts at the 3K range, but the BadBoy is advertised on the site as starting at $2999.99. These are both fine machines and there are many happy members over the past few years with both these units. There is also the Gravely ZT 42", I don't know what they are listed at, but the ZT I believe is around the same money! The ZT is another machine that has gotten some attention this past season. Any of these machines will speed up your cutting time and get you out on the golf course sooner Certainly a great time to look around for a used unit or some good deals from a dealer. As Dieseltech posted, Craigslist is a great place to find a machine, but just becareful what you buy! There is a guy on this post a page or so back that got a lemon not to long ago, so be sure to look at anything you buy very carefully

http://www.hustlerturf.com/products/sport.html

http://www.badboymowers.com/view/2011-mz
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own