Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2011, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum2 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't really considered a larger walk behind as I thought they would not be very maneuverable and cumbersome to use. Something 36" - 38" would be ideal but that can be hard to find in a ZRT that's why I was considering a 42". A walk behind might be available in that 36" - 38" range though.

I also saw that Ariens makes a 34" ZRT. Good option or am i still better served by a walk behind?

Gary
There is also 30" Dixon! Dixon makes a 30" speed ztr with a Briggs intek engine. The intek would not be my pick for an engine, but for what your cutting, I don't think it would matter! Not at all familiar with Dixon products, I know there are some pros on the site that use em and like them, but I don't think I have ever seen any members on the homeowner thread with a Dixon? From what I understand Dixon is a pretty solid machine, I imagine though the only thing would be to find a dealer! I think that the 30" Dixon is in your budget!!

Link
http://www.dixon-ztr.com/node2328.as...911&pid=113633
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 10-11-2011, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm curious why you want to move down in size?
Old 10-11-2011, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Excellent suggestions! I really am looking to speed up my mowing. It's kind of interesting, however. Some suggest since I only mow 1/3 acre (+/-) a ZRT would be overkill. I'm pretty sure most pros would have no problem busting out a 1/3 acre account with a 52+" ZRT to have it done in 20 minutes though! If it is important for a pro to finish a mow quickly, it's just as important to me as my time is money also.

I really like the Toro Timecutter 4235 the more I look at what it has to offer. I think I can score that for around $2500 and those have a nice warranty. I think it would serve me well for many, many years. The Hustler I looked at the other day. Built very well, but I think the hydros are the same as the Toro (not sure though).

Ultimately, I'm looking for the best balance of these traits (in no particular order): Solid build, reliable, relatively compact (has to compete for space in the garage). That's why I thought Simplict Axion/Snapper 150z would be a potentially good fit, but they seem to be on the very low end of Simplicity/Snapper quality compared th their other offerings. I think I may go for the Toro, Hustler, or possibly an Ariens. (Not sure about the last one yet)
Old 10-11-2011, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Platium my apologies..I confused your post with someone else's. Ignore comment on down sizing.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Gravely ZT vs. ZT HD

Here is my dilemma...
I have recently moved into a new home with about 5 acres. I obviously can't cut this with my old 21" push mower. The wife would like me to get a cheap riding mower from a big name chain store. I am determined to get a quality machine that will last. That said, I have found a local dealer who carries Gravely and Hustler, as well as TSC, which sells Bad Boy MT, but only has one with a starter problem at the moment and doesn't seem to eager to get it fixed to sell it. The dealer recommends the Gravely mowers over the Hustlers they carry. They look like a quality machine to me and I am nearly ready to buy one, but I can't decide between the ZT 50 or a ZT 48 HD or ZT 52 HD. The dealer recommends the HD for the size of my property, and I like the construction of the HD machines better, but is it worth spending the extra $2,000 for an HD unit?
Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman74 View Post
Here is my dilemma...
I have recently moved into a new home with about 5 acres. I obviously can't cut this with my old 21" push mower. The wife would like me to get a cheap riding mower from a big name chain store. I am determined to get a quality machine that will last. That said, I have found a local dealer who carries Gravely and Hustler, as well as TSC, which sells Bad Boy MT, but only has one with a starter problem at the moment and doesn't seem to eager to get it fixed to sell it. The dealer recommends the Gravely mowers over the Hustlers they carry. They look like a quality machine to me and I am nearly ready to buy one, but I can't decide between the ZT 50 or a ZT 48 HD or ZT 52 HD. The dealer recommends the HD for the size of my property, and I like the construction of the HD machines better, but is it worth spending the extra $2,000 for an HD unit?
Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
Yes, for the extra money, you get so much more! What is your top budget? Me, I would look at the Hustler Superduty 60", many satisfied customers on here!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 10-31-2011, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
Yes, for the extra money, you get so much more! What is your top budget? Me, I would look at the Hustler Superduty 60", many satisfied customers on here!
Well, I had originally hoped to stay under $4000. I can get the ZT 50 for $2800, or step up to the ZT 48 HD for $4800, and the 52 HD for $5000. Although this is more than I wanted to spend, I might be willing to spend the extra if I can convince myself, or be convinced, that it is definitely worth the extra cost. This Dealer also sells Hustler, but recommended Gravely over the Hustler. The only other local option I am aware of is a Kubota dealer, however I have heard very little about Kubota mowers, so I haven't looked into them.
I am impressed with the apparent build quality of the Gravelys that I looked at, and I really haven't found anyone with anything bad to say about them. So I was hoping for some feedback to help me with the decision.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would spend the extra with 5 acres...the quality of build in between the two the hd will allow for more abuse because of the heavier construction. Gravely makes very nice machines as well as hustler. You will more than likely get more bang for your buck with the gravely. Kubota makes nice equipment as well but you will definately pay for it with one of their mowers. Buy a heavier machine and you can come back and thank us in a few years when you realize you made the right coice stepping up in the model lineup. Demo them as well if they will let you. Get what makes you comfortable!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-01-2011, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Handyman I agree with the others. 5 acres cut 20 or 30 times a season is a bunch. I think you'll regret buying anything not made for the amount of mowing you're going to do. I would also consider a scut tractor as well.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I really think the heavy duty machine would be best as well. It's just an extra $2000 to try to justify to the wife. I went ahead and let them know to get the 52HD ready for me. I'll probably pick it up later this week.