Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2011, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You wont regret getting a bigger machine... Buyers remorse sucks!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2011, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow there is a lot of good information in this thread. So unless something crazy happens I'm the soon to be owner of ~4 acres of rural residential property. The yard is bumpy, no ruts, holes, etc but it does have elevation changes and a pond. There are lots of straight runs from front to back on the property but there are ~10 big trees (maple and black walnut), 6-8 apple trees and ~20 spruce trees of various sizes split across the property to mow around.

I'm looking new and used right now and the range of spend is ~3-7k. So the questions:
- When is the best time to buy a new mower? I need one by March at the earliest, April at the latest. Will dealers be trying to clear inventory come January / February?
- How does one get a test drive?
Old 11-19-2011, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiplemw View Post
Wow there is a lot of good information in this thread. So unless something crazy happens I'm the soon to be owner of ~4 acres of rural residential property. The yard is bumpy, no ruts, holes, etc but it does have elevation changes and a pond. There are lots of straight runs from front to back on the property but there are ~10 big trees (maple and black walnut), 6-8 apple trees and ~20 spruce trees of various sizes split across the property to mow around.

I'm looking new and used right now and the range of spend is ~3-7k. So the questions:
- When is the best time to buy a new mower? I need one by March at the earliest, April at the latest. Will dealers be trying to clear inventory come January / February?
- How does one get a test drive?
A great machine to look at would be a Hustler Superduty 60" There have been many members that have bought the SD 60" and love it! I believe it is priced right around 7K! Still many many others! It is just a matter of what feels right! I would start driving around to dealers now and see what they have! They may be willing to work a deal on leftover inventory!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 11-19-2011, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

As posted above the first decision will be to find a good dealer who will work with you and help you choose equipment that will fit your needs. That said, since you mentioned a rough mowing surface you might want to look at Ferris' line of mowers which are equipped with a patented independent suspension system.
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Old 11-20-2011, 03:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. Looks like there are multiple dealers around for some of the big players: Exmark, Hustler, Bobcat, John Deere, Toro, Dixie, Grasshopper, Bad Boy, and SCAG. Price / features wise the Bad Boy's definately have some interesting options as do the Husqvarna models I've browsed online. I talked to the JD / Exmark dealer and they have a few 2011 models they would be looking to clear at a reduced price. I'll have to get back there and look some more. Maybe my inlaws will let me take their Grasshopper and Badboy MZ out for a ride.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You mentioned your inlaws BadBoy MZ. I own the MZ48, and from your description of your property (bumpy, 4 acres), I wouldn't recommend the MZ. It is a very well built and tough mower, but I don't think it's what you would be happy with. I mow about a 1/2 acre of mowable grass at my own place and a total of approx. 4 acres (between 4 different properties) that are paid and volunteer. For 4 bumpy acres at one property, I would look into what the others are recommending including BadBoy's bigger mowers. The places I mow are rural and can be fairly bumpy...suspension (and/or larger tires) would be real nice.

Kevin
Old 11-20-2011, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The husq mz line are some heavy mowers. Ive got a mz6128 wich can be had for around 4 grand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2011, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiplemw View Post
Thanks for the info. Looks like there are multiple dealers around for some of the big players: Exmark, Hustler, Bobcat, John Deere, Toro, Dixie, Grasshopper, Bad Boy, and SCAG. Price / features wise the Bad Boy's definately have some interesting options as do the Husqvarna models I've browsed online. I talked to the JD / Exmark dealer and they have a few 2011 models they would be looking to clear at a reduced price. I'll have to get back there and look some more. Maybe my inlaws will let me take their Grasshopper and Badboy MZ out for a ride.
Any news on a mower? I have researched Grasshoppers through the net since there are no dealers here, but I have to say that they are pretty BadA$$ looking mowers! The 120K and 124 look like a well built machine, but I have no idea how they cut. Certainly worth a look.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 12-01-2011, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseltech View Post
The husq mz line are some heavy mowers. Ive got a mz6128 wich can be had for around 4 grand.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is a great machine at a great price
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2012, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
Any news on a mower? I have researched Grasshoppers through the net since there are no dealers here, but I have to say that they are pretty BadA$$ looking mowers! The 120K and 124 look like a well built machine, but I have no idea how they cut. Certainly worth a look.
I ended up buying a used Kubota B7500 compact tractor with a 60" belly mower. It's a 4x4, diesel, with mid & rear pto and 3 point hitch. It had ~560 hrs and was owned by the local university. I figure it will cover all my needs (plowing, mowing, etc).