Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-20-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I've got a 7 year old Hustler with a 20hp engine and a 52" deck and I mow my 2 acres with only a few trees and such usually in an hour and 20 minutes. This mower goes about 7.5mph so I'm thinking that your Toro should be going a similar speed and therefore your lawn take a similar amount of time but I'm not really sure about Timecutter's.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Long time lurker, first time (I think) poster. Love the site. Just moved into a house with a 1/2 acre yard. Currently have a Toro Supeer Recycler which I really like but I am finding I simply don't always have the time. There are a fair amount of trees so I am worried about fall clean-up also. On top of that, the yard is part of a drainage system so it gets somewhat beat up/rough in that area.

Cut quality is number 1 priority. Because of the rough yard I would like to look into a roller also so I am looking more towards a tractor/ZTR vs. a commercial walk behind. I would also eventually add a dethatcher and possibly an aerator. A bagging system is key also.

With that, looking for some input on quality cutting tractors or a ZTR that could be used with the aforementioned items. I would also like the capability of adding a striping system. New or used doesn't really bother me, but would like to keep it in the $3,000 range with atleast the bagging system included. Looking in the 42"-48" range and leaning towards a tractor, but again, cut quality is important. I live in MN and its mostly bluegrass with some rye and fescue. What tractor/ZTR would you guys recommend? Thank You
Old 04-30-2012, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

It sounds to me that you may want to look at a tractor instead of a ZTR since you want to pull a number of different devices behind the mower. There are companies that sell all sorts of add-ons (snow plows etc) that you can attach to a ZTR but I am not aware of any manufacture that recommend them for their machines. Most ZTRs have a fairly low hauling capacity, typically a couple of hundred pounds. Also with your budget you are looking at light duty ZTRs while you may be able to get into a 300 series JD if you can put off the bagging unit for later. The 300 series machines are decent quality lawn tractors and a good step up from the 100 series JDs sold at the big box retailers. Kobuta also makes several good lawn tractors as does Husqvarna. It just depends on what the dealers around you carry.
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Old 05-01-2012, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Basically, with the research found within this thread I have decided to pursue purchasing a Hustler Sport - 48".

A local dealer has a 2011 brand new one with a price over the phone for $3600. It has the Honda engine. A new 2012 will be just $300 more. I am going to try to get him to go a little lower on this. How much sounds really fair for this piece of equipment? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody89 View Post
Basically, with the research found within this thread I have decided to pursue purchasing a Hustler Sport - 48".

A local dealer has a 2011 brand new one with a price over the phone for $3600. It has the Honda engine. A new 2012 will be just $300 more. I am going to try to get him to go a little lower on this. How much sounds really fair for this piece of equipment? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
Thats a pretty good price with a Honda on the 11. The Honda tacks on a few bucks, but it is worth it.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 05-02-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody89 View Post

Thanks.
Thats a pretty good price with a Honda on the 11. The Honda tacks on a few bucks, but it is worth it.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 05-02-2012, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

So my dilemma:

I've got a good main mower (Kubota B7500 w/ 60" belly mower). My father gave me a JD 14SE walk behind that was in rough shape. He replaced it with a new Toro a couple years ago. I'm in the process of getting it running since it's been sitting for a while (completely cleaned the carb, not getting spark). Any ideas on some reasonably priced bagging / mulching walk behinds under $350-450 dollars? Husqavarna, Toro, JD, Honda, and many other dealers around.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiplemw View Post
So my dilemma:

I've got a good main mower (Kubota B7500 w/ 60" belly mower). My father gave me a JD 14SE walk behind that was in rough shape. He replaced it with a new Toro a couple years ago. I'm in the process of getting it running since it's been sitting for a while (completely cleaned the carb, not getting spark). Any ideas on some reasonably priced bagging / mulching walk behinds under $350-450 dollars? Husqavarna, Toro, JD, Honda, and many other dealers around.
you kinda of lost me here. You have a Toro, but it is not running? Are you looking for another mower instead of the Toro?
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 05-03-2012, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiplemw View Post
So my dilemma:

I've used the Honda as a mulcher, and a bagger. Starts on the first pull. The variable speed control is easy on the hands. Bags nicely.

Honda 21 in. Steel Deck Smart Drive Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Mower
Old 05-04-2012, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
you kinda of lost me here. You have a Toro, but it is not running? Are you looking for another mower instead of the Toro?
I ramble.
Clif notes: I've was given a JD SE14 push mower that I'm having trouble getting running. What would be a good mower for cleaning up under trees and general mowing. Needs to bag or mulch and be under $400.