Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiplemw View Post
I ramble.
Clif notes: I've was given a JD SE14 push mower that I'm having trouble getting running. What would be a good mower for cleaning up under trees and general mowing. Needs to bag or mulch and be under $400.

Quote:
Honda 21 in. Steel Deck Smart Drive Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Mower

Model # HRR216VKA

Internet # 100617092

Store SKU # 261361
4.4 / 5
(407)
Write a Review
Read All Q&A

$399.00 /EA-Each
Free Shipping
Old 05-04-2012, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

MS. Surveyor,

I'll take a look at that honda.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone have a Snapper Pro s150 with the 52in cut?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That Honda would be my choice for under the $400 mark as well.
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 05-28-2012, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Need advise on new ZTR mower

Help please. I am currently mowing my yard and my in-law's yard (1 acre each). I also own a 3 acre vacant lot that I have to maintain. That breaks out to 5 acres of mowing at least once a a week. I currently use a 48" JD tractor to maintain this area. It takes me over 3 hours to mow the 3 acres and 1.5 hours for each 1 acre lot with the houses on them (including trimming). I really need something sturdy and dependable to "cut" down the mowing time. I am a stickler for lawn looks too, no uneven or scalping decks and I like the "striped" look. I have looked at Scag, but I definitely want to make the right choice. Any information that you all can provide, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Additional Info

Current mower is John Deere LX277 48" cut. Looking into 61" ZTR models. Already have a trailer to move the mower between lots.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a JD LX277AWS that I was cutting 5.5 acres with and took 6 hours to cut. I also have a JD 955 tractor with a 72" belly mower. In the spring the tractor is tied up with other projects and would end up cutting the entire yard with the 48" deck on the LX277AWS. Finally got tired of all of the extra time spent with the small mower and purchased a Gravely ProMaster 260 this spring. Now I cut everything in under 3 hours.

The Gravely does a wonderful job cutting. One things that I did not anticipate is the cutting around all my trees and leaving tree rings. I have all of my trees mulched around in a 3' diameter or larger circle. With my JD, it was all wheel steer, I never had any issues tearing up the turf. Now, I have to make 4 to 6 turns around each tree to keep the turf in place. I have tried moving very slowly and always keeping the tires turning, but still felt that it was tearing up the turf too much. It seems like the wide rear tire is tearing up the turf as it slightly pivots while turning tightly, even with the wheel still turning. But after you do this repeatedly, you start to notice a definite ring starting around the tree.

So, now I purchased a Honda push mower to help do the trimming to complement the ztr.

Wish that I had kept my JD LX277AWS, never needed a push mower with that unit, but had sold it early this spring even before I had picked up my Gravely.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

My LX277 is 11 years old and is not AWS. It does leave rings in the grass when I mow around trees right now. Not to mention the additional time needed to accomplish a 3-point turn at the end of every row.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just because its a zero turn doesnt mean you have to go in circles. Make a straigt pass in front of tree, back up and make another, you will end up with an octagon and no grass tear or tree circles
Old 05-31-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraGrass View Post
Help please. I am currently mowing my yard and my in-law's yard (1 acre each). I also own a 3 acre vacant lot that I have to maintain. That breaks out to 5 acres of mowing at least once a a week. I currently use a 48" JD tractor to maintain this area. It takes me over 3 hours to mow the 3 acres and 1.5 hours for each 1 acre lot with the houses on them (including trimming). I really need something sturdy and dependable to "cut" down the mowing time. I am a stickler for lawn looks too, no uneven or scalping decks and I like the "striped" look. I have looked at Scag, but I definitely want to make the right choice. Any information that you all can provide, I would greatly appreciate it.
What is your budget? What dealers are close to you? Those two things really determine what might fit you best. Lots of good mowers, all have their qualities. In the 5K to 6K range there is the Hustler Fastrak 48" or the 54" would be a great mower for your needs. If you looked at the Scag, the Freedom Z is a popular mower. Husqvarna has a few good mowers out that have been getting some good feedback.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own