Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Nee some fast thoughts guys, this ad showed up last night on Craigslist and it seems to me like its a really good deal with all the attachments and the condition. Heres the ad, please tell me if this deal is as good as it sounds or if i should run.

http://rmn.craigslist.org/grd/3756428672.html
Silencer ring MIA, Muffler/Res. MIA, FASS 150/95 GPH, Edge Comp, Boost Elbow, AutoMeter Boost, Pyro and Fuel Pressure gauges, LT285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT tires, Amsoil Nanofiber 4510 Air intake filter, Amsoil Synthetic fluids top to bottom and front to rear, B&M Racing T Handle shift knob, Cobra 29 WX NW ST CB Radio, Kenwood KDC-MP425 Head Unit, Kenwood speakers front and rear
Old 04-22-2013, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi everyone. This is my first post. So after yeras of dreaming I am going to get a ZTR mower. I was looking to buy a mower for my 1.25 acres and hopefully it will be last mower I ever buy. The mower I have decided on is the new Ferris IS600. The problem is it comes with either a B&S 27HP Professional engine or a Kawasaki FS600 18.5hp. What engine is better/more reliable? I mow an average of 2.5 times a week. I have tall turf fescue that I keep fertilized.

Last edited by lion40; 04-22-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

CTD, the post is deleted, let us know how you made out.

Welcome lion40 to the forums! Personally between the two I'd go with the Kawi. The only Briggs motor that I'm a fan of is the Vangard. If that was offered you could save some $ and go with that. I've only had one issue with a Kawi motor and it was on a push mower. It was under warranty and they covered the fix/replacement for free (head gasket) Other than that they have run flawlessly. Best of luck and you should be treated very well for many years with the Ferris.
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 04-24-2013, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Member

dwost, i ended up buying it....meticulously taken care of, all service receipts, serviced 1x or 2x yearly, new blades, new battery, comes with front mounted dethatcher and rear bagger
Silencer ring MIA, Muffler/Res. MIA, FASS 150/95 GPH, Edge Comp, Boost Elbow, AutoMeter Boost, Pyro and Fuel Pressure gauges, LT285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT tires, Amsoil Nanofiber 4510 Air intake filter, Amsoil Synthetic fluids top to bottom and front to rear, B&M Racing T Handle shift knob, Cobra 29 WX NW ST CB Radio, Kenwood KDC-MP425 Head Unit, Kenwood speakers front and rear
Old 04-24-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Dwost, thanks for your help. I obviously will give up some HP going with the Kawi over the B&S but after some research I found that the Kawi gives me a couple more ft/lbs of torque which to me is more important. So I am in negotiations to get the IS600Z with Kawi motor. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey All,
I moved to Seattle from PA where I had a nice old Ferris/simplicity ZTR but couldn't take it along. Our Seattle house has a 1-acure hilly backyard and we're going to have to do a good deal of land/hard-scaping in the near future. I went with the John Deere x310 due to the transmission, but am having a lot of slipping problems. After cutting with it, I also GREATLY miss my old ZTR. I'm still within my 30-day return policy, so I was hoping for suggestions:
- are there any modifications that I can make to the x310 to help with the slipping (wheel weights are apparently not an option)
- are there any ZTRs out there that can haul what riding mower tractors can?
- any suggestions?

Thank you!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Good evening all! We just bought a house with about 1.33-1.5 acres of grass to mow. I'm looking for a ZTR, probably somewhere around 4k. There's a Scag dealer in town, Husqvarna, and Toro. About 30 miles away is a place that sells Hustler and Bobcat. My top pick right now is a Toro MX5060 (50in deck, fabricated deck). There's a place in town selling a used Scag Freedom Z, 52" with a Briggs. Asking $3200. Thoughts on the used Scag vs the new Toro MX5060?

Also, is 30 miles too far to go to buy a mower? My concern there is service. I don't have a way to transport the mower. The Scag dealer and Toro dealer both seem great and both offer pickup/delivery services.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by habiem View Post
Good evening all! We just bought a house with about 1.33-1.5 acres of grass to mow. I'm looking for a ZTR, probably somewhere around 4k. There's a Scag dealer in town, Husqvarna, and Toro. About 30 miles away is a place that sells Hustler and Bobcat. My top pick right now is a Toro MX5060 (50in deck, fabricated deck). There's a place in town selling a used Scag Freedom Z, 52" with a Briggs. Asking $3200. Thoughts on the used Scag vs the new Toro MX5060?

Also, is 30 miles too far to go to buy a mower? My concern there is service. I don't have a way to transport the mower. The Scag dealer and Toro dealer both seem great and both offer pickup/delivery services.

Thanks for any thoughts!
I like the Scag, compared to the Toro. However it would depend on the condition and the hours on the machine. Usually you can tell right away what you have with a used machine. I would also take a peek at the Hustler Sport.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 05-07-2013, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I have narrowed my ZRT search to a 2012 2342 Dixie and a Hustler Raptor. The Dixie is a 2012 but is new and will come directly from Dixie at a price about $400 cheaper than the Raptor. Money is important and I know I can add a roll bar and front weights to the Dixie for about $220. I am not about adding the weighs but the raptor cannot have a roll bar. We have a couple of hills so I like that option.

Any suggestions or recommendations on these two? I am upgrading from a push mower which takes me 1.5 hours to cut so I am sure any riding mower will be great but I hope to stil be riding this thing in 10 years.

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2013, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

maybe you all can chime in for me over here.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=404798
Dealer sells both Bob Cat and Big Dog. He would really like me in the bigger big dog r series 754 and can do close to the same price as the Bob Cat CRZ at $4500. 3100 hydros, 23hp kawasaki, floating deck, bigger wheels. But I just can't find much reviews on the Big Dogs.