Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-09-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma regarding what my next mower purchase should be. I currently own a 2009 BadBoy ZT60 that has worked great for the last 3 years. But at the end of last season it started not charging the battery. I replaced the regulator after testing the stator, checking the magnets on the flywheel etc, and it's still not charging. So right now it's in the shop (for the next 3-4 weeks) and I'm really considering just trading it in.

A little info on my yard, I have about 4.75 acres of uneven and hilly mountain grass that I mow once a week. I demo'd a Cub Cadet SZ 60 at the dealer my badboy is at getting fixed and I really liked it for the fact I would finally be able to mow my hills sideways instead of always up and down. They gave me a price of 9220 out the door with my badboy as a trade in (1000 bucks).

But I'm curious if I should pull the trigger or get another (better) brand of zero turn or go with a larger tractor with a loader attachment ( which I could really use also). So what do you guys think?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why is it in the shop for 3 to 4 weeks??
Old 06-10-2013, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

My issue is at the price range of the Cub Cadet your are looking at (roughly $10k), you are in high end commercial ZTR territory which opens up LOTS of doors for ZTR's that should be able to handle anything that cub cadet machine can.....

Off the top of my head:

Scag Turf Tiger
or
Ferris is2000 or is3000

I think I have read the Turf Tiger will run on hills up to 20-25 degrees? They have a nice and low center of gravity.

Both of the above are 10x the machine of the cub cadet and will last for 2-3000 hours of use.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatonpcat View Post
Why is it in the shop for 3 to 4 weeks??
They said it would be two weeks before they could even look at it, then add another for parts if it needs any. So I won't get it back for a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brules View Post
My issue is at the price range of the Cub Cadet your are looking at (roughly $10k), you are in high end commercial ZTR territory which opens up LOTS of doors for ZTR's that should be able to handle anything that cub cadet machine can.....

Off the top of my head:

Scag Turf Tiger
or
Ferris is2000 or is3000

I think I have read the Turf Tiger will run on hills up to 20-25 degrees? They have a nice and low center of gravity.

Both of the above are 10x the machine of the cub cadet and will last for 2-3000 hours of use.
The only reason I was looking at the cub was for the side hilling ability which no ztr is going to do on my property. I'm just not sure if having the ability to side hill is worth getting what many seem to think is a lesser quality machine.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippit96 View Post
They said it would be two weeks before they could even look at it, then add another for parts if it needs any. So I won't get it back for a month.
That sucks, I assume you didn't buy it where you are having it serviced.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Scag Cheetah or Ferris IS2000Z

Down to two mowers. Price difference is less than $100. Demo on my 4 acres showed both to be close in ride. I have a suspension seat from my old tractor, that I can add to either one.

I mow whatever is green, not a "lawn". Scag has 3 year warranty, Ferris 4 year. The Scag weighs 1350, Ferris 1200. Scag seems closer to a Ferris 3200Z than a 2000Z. Engines are Kawi FX801V, 25.5 hp on Ferris and FX850V, 26.5 hp on Scag. The Scag deck looks a little stronger than the ICD. Both are good dealers and within 30 minutes of my house. The Ferris dealer is closer.

Which one would you guys recommend for my homeowner use?

Thx
Old 06-16-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatonpcat View Post
That sucks, I assume you didn't buy it where you are having it serviced.
No unfortunately when I bought mine there were no close dealers so I went with the residential unit from Tractor Supply. The dealer I'm using is a cub/scag dealer.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candew View Post
Down to two mowers. Price difference is less than $100. Demo on my 4 acres showed both to be close in ride. I have a suspension seat from my old tractor, that I can add to either one.

I mow whatever is green, not a "lawn". Scag has 3 year warranty, Ferris 4 year. The Scag weighs 1350, Ferris 1200. Scag seems closer to a Ferris 3200Z than a 2000Z. Engines are Kawi FX801V, 25.5 hp on Ferris and FX850V, 26.5 hp on Scag. The Scag deck looks a little stronger than the ICD. Both are good dealers and within 30 minutes of my house. The Ferris dealer is closer.

Which one would you guys recommend for my homeowner use?

Thx
I have never used either mower, but with the description you have given, I would purchase the Scag...my .02!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

What model Scag and Ferris?
Old 06-18-2013, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag Cheetah or Ferris IS2000Z

OK, I demoed the Scag and then the Ferris on my own property. As far as ride, the Ferris was a little smoother over the bumps, but not much. The Cheetah's shock mounted platform works surprisingly well. I liked the high back seat on the Scag better than the Ferris seat. It just seemed to cradle me better and keep my head from bobbing. The cut didn't seem to be a deciding factor.

The deck on the Scag definitely looks more robust and the whole unit feels more solid. I also noted that the Scag felt bigger, perhaps closer to the Ferris 3100 than the 2000. The Scag had an FX921V Kawi and the Ferris had an FX801V Kawi. In the tall area of grass, left since my Kubota broke, the Scag did a better job. I like the way the Scag roll bar folds low for my getting under a few branches on the decorative trees I have. My main liking for the Scag has to do with the way the control bars feel. I really like the dampers and found I didn't need to do hardly any movement to keep a straight line over rough ground.

In the end, I decided to pay a little extra for a Scag 61" Cheetah with the Kawi FX921V. I know it is overkill for my 3 1/2 acres, but so was my Kubota B7100 and it lasted 32 years. Even though the Scag is not a diesel, forty hours a year is not a lot of use, so this mower may outlast its senior owner.