Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-16-2011, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacTrustee View Post
thank you for the input. We've potentially decided on the Toro TimeCutterZ 42". It's in our current cash reserves price range & seems to meet our mowing needs. We had set on the 2011 20HP model but apparently HD has a 2010 22HP Kawasaki model that they'll knock some $ off of & the current promo offers a free trimmer.
RacTrustee: I can appreciate your cost concerns and desire to maximize your bang-for-your-buck.

Here's my $.02...
Being that you are using volunteers for your mowing, I would be hesitant to use a ZTR. Although not difficult to learn, the techniques used to safely control a ZTR are techniques not used elsewhere. The "sticks" (control levers) are used for all three functions (fwd, reverse, and stop), and if you are using new volunteers weekly, the time savings spent using a new ZTR could be offset by teaching people how to use it. Additionally, fine motor skills are a prerequisite for ZTR control around obstacles.

Go test drive some and see what you think.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacTrustee View Post
thank you for the input. We've potentially decided on the Toro TimeCutterZ 42". It's in our current cash reserves price range & seems to meet our mowing needs. We had set on the 2011 20HP model but apparently HD has a 2010 22HP Kawasaki model that they'll knock some $ off of & the current promo offers a free trimmer.
Guys, great site. I'll echo what the others have said, I appreciate all the input from the pros, as well as the "amateurs", like me.

RacTrustee, I'm also considering this very Toro, the 42" with the 22 HP Kawasaki engine. Can you let us know how you make out with it? Also, if anyone else, Skidpad or others, has any experience with the Toro Time Cutter, please chime in. I've only got about 2/3 of an acre to cut. I think a Scag, eXmark or Bob Cat is too much machine for me, in terms of capability and money. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ce750jockey View Post
Guys, great site. I'll echo what the others have said, I appreciate all the input from the pros, as well as the "amateurs", like me.

RacTrustee, I'm also considering this very Toro, the 42" with the 22 HP Kawasaki engine. Can you let us know how you make out with it? Also, if anyone else, Skidpad or others, has any experience with the toro Time Cutter, please chime in. I've only got about 2/3 of an acre to cut. I think a Scag, eXmark or Bob Cat is too much machine for me, in terms of capability and money. Thanks.
A guy came in here last year thinking he needed a small walkbehind mower and winded up with a Hustler Sport! You can get into a Hustler Sport or Badboy MZ series for about $2999. Money well spent IMO!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 05-18-2011, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidpad View Post
Bobcat Fastcat Pro 52"...in The Wild.

Greetings everyone. I've been lurking and reading here for several weeks in my quest to "upgrade" my 1995 AYP 42"/18hp B&S lawnmower. There is plenty of good information here, and I thank everyone for their contributions as I shopped around in my anal-retentive ways.

I wanted to stay around $5k, and my first choice was the Husqvarna MZ6128. The 23" rear tires and the 13" front tires would be excellent on the somewhat bumpy terrain I mow on. Loved this mower overall, but had to pass due to the fact that I store my mower in part of my basement, and the door opening is 64" - which would've left only 1.5" total on the mower deck edges. After much deliberation about this, I passed - even though I never got to test drive one.

Although the price was higher than I wanted to spend, I also strongly considered the Hustler Fastrak 54". This thing drove great - stick action was smooth, and the 13" front tires and standard ROPS were a plus.
The negatives
Nice Bobcat! I had posted earlier in this thread that Bobcat was a great mower along with being reasonable priced! Allot of commercial guys that have these love em! Great cut, well built and priced well! Good luck with it!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 05-18-2011, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phscotty View Post
Capemay Eagle, thanks for the info. From what I've read it looks like the local deaer can give me an ok deal on a 2010 Hustler 25/54 Super Duty. The snow is finally gone and the grass will be growing soon. I have talked to the dealers and have demo rides set up as soon as the weather cooperates and the grass starts growing. Is the Hustler x-one a similar mower to the ferris is2000 other then the suspension ? I'm also interested in learning more about the icd and vx4 decks.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
I noticed you were online Phscotty, have you found a machine yet?
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 05-18-2011, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Over the past two weeks I had demo rides on a 2010 Hustler Super Duty 25/54, 2011 x-one 26/54, and 2010 Ferris is2000 25/52. The hustler dealer told me not to demo the x-one after the SD because I would like it better and buy it. He was right, I took delivery of the x-one last night.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2011, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phscotty View Post
Over the past two weeks I had demo rides on a 2010 Hustler Super Duty 25/54, 2011 x-one 26/54, and 2010 Ferris is2000 25/52. The hustler dealer told me not to demo the x-one after the SD because I would like it better and buy it. He was right, I took delivery of the x-one last night.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well that's great! Let's see some pics in the Homeowner picture page!! I am going to be moving in a few years and the property is about 2.5 acres with a beautiful lawn! The X One is high on my list if it is still in production! Congrats and send some pics and info on your new machine!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 05-18-2011, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

ce750jockey: sorry, I don't have any experience with the Toro Timecutter series, but for 2/3 of an acre, it looks like it would do the job very nicely.
Also, if your username means what I think it does, send me a PM...I'm in the airplane business too.

capemay eagle: Thanks! I saw your post about the Bobcats before purchasing mine, and I agree with your statement! They are well-built and have easy access to the important parts....all factored into my purchasing decision. I'll post some more pictures in the Picture thread.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Member

RacTrustee and ce750jockey I have a buddy that bought a Toro 42" last summer from HD and has been very happy with it.

Capemay....this past Sunday I had test rides of the x-one and the Ferris is2000 at my house at the same time. I cut half my yard with each machine and drove each at full speed over the rougher parts of my yard several times. The only thing I liked better about the Ferris was the ride. The ride on the ferris was better but not "wow" better. IMO every other part of the x-one was better. I'm sure I would have been more then satisfied with the Super Duty I tried the week prior but cut and durability were major factors in my choice. I found the x-one to be better in both categories. Two of my kids liked "the yellow one" and two liked "the red one" but in the end I found the x-one to be a good fit for me. I will try and get some pictures posted.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2011, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Im also in the market for a new trimmer. I would like to not have to use mixed gas. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
Posted via Mobile Device