Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-02-2011, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Need help fast buying truck

Hi guys and thanks for viewing.... i gotta ge a new truck here early this week (in 3 days or so), im looking at late 90's models and im partial to chevy.. here my issue and i need advice and info from people that have used hese vehicles.

Im looking at 1 ton dumps, chevy one ton dumps. Im set on getting a one ton dually dump... either stake or mason box. heres the wo trucks im looking at:

1. 1995 1 ton chevy mason dump 4x4 5.7 gas automatic 80k miles with a freshly rebuilt tranny 6000$ (mason box is in good shape but ruck is ugly/rusty cosmetically and having a clean looking truck is important to me. or

2. 1999 1 ton chevy long chasis stake rack dump with 6.5 turbo diesel 4x2 130,000 miles white, much cleaner, no rust 8000$

here is my issue, i can afford both trucks but i am torn beween diesel or gas.... i will be towing 2000 lbs (landscape and mowing trailer) almost everyday and will also have larger loads (10,000+ skidsteer and dump trailer as well as materials in the dump box) quite frequently i know the diesek is more money, more to maintain and more at the pump.. my questions are what should i buy....... has anyone had any experience with the 6.5? what do they get for mileage and whaT do they get for mileage towing? also i know chevy had a terrible terrible diesel motor but i believe that was they 6.2? for heavens sake if i am wrong somebody please correct me... i had my heart set on the diesel but one of my friends just tried talking me out of it saying to go for the gas, those diesels are dogs blah blah blah but im 22 years old and this is one of those "jealous friends" that would never advise you to spend more money or buy nicer things so i am skeptical... i know personally the diesel is the right choice.... can i get a confirmation or am i wrong?

please any input is greatley appreciated!
Old 04-02-2011, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

6.5 diesel's did have their fair share of problems, but with some inexpensive modifications most are easy to avoid. I would test drive the 6.5 diesel before buying one, it really is a dog and doesn't compare to the power of today's diesels. I'd vote the gasser myself.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I owned a 95. Five speed gas I really liked it. Easily fixed, averaged 12 per gallon, I know the diesels also had tranny issues, and wiring harness issues. I did all the towing you spoke about with my gas with no problem. Good luck with your choice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2011, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I owned a 6.5 diesel in a '98 GMC 2500 for 4 years. Honestly, the gas mileage was very consistant at about 13 mpg between 300 miles of towing and unloaded driving. The 6.5's really don't have the power that other diesels had, both the cummins and powerstrokes from '99 were stronger. The 6.5 can pull some weight but it isn't going to win you any races at all. Even towing 4000-5000lbs, it wasn't very quick and I did have to get into the throttle a little bit to get it up to speed.

My 6.5 seemed to be in the shop regularly, about everytime I needed an oil change (every 5000 miles) there would be something wrong. One year I spent over $4000 in repairs and the year before that I had spent over $2500 in repairs. It was definately a "problem child".

Since I knew it was low on power (in regards to diesels) I had looked into getting something to help increase power a little bit, nothing major. Unlike most other diesels that could just use a $500 programmer and you can choose a specific tune for the engine, the 6.5 diesels CAN'T do that. In order to get any noticeable amount of power gains, I would have needed to get my computer reprogramed, a new exhaust and a few other things. I talked to a guy who specializes in 6.5 diesels and the mods he suggested for me were going to cost me $1500-$2000, and that was only going to gain me a little extra power.

When I sold mine it had like 140,000 miles and the transmission was starting to give me trouble. As much as I like diesel trucks, I would probably not buy a 6.5 again.

GM's Duramax diesel is a whole different story though, I would definately buy one of those.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-02-2011, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

ok.....then wha about a late 90s cummins.... or powerstroke........ im also open to that option..... and towing 10,000+ pounds with a gutless 5.7? that sounds pretty absurd to me.. i mean ive owned a 5.7 and even though i wouldnt be pulling that much regularly... when i do i want to actually be able to do it not struggle....?

maybe a cummins with a nice stick shift is a better option..... unfourtunatley i picked up more work in a hurry and i need another truck and trailer fast but dont have much money... but next year this crew (provided it is successful this year) is definetley getting a nice new duramax ... who knows maybe brand new
Old 04-03-2011, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The truck with a gas engine will get you from point A to point B just fine.

Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Old 04-03-2011, 02:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i would go with the gasser because of the mason box
Old 04-03-2011, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Get the truck with the 350, those engines last easily 250k miles and then you can drop in a rebuilt for $1500. No brained IMO. Theres a reason you see more older chevy gas trucks than diesels.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2011, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyLandscaping View Post
ok.....then wha about a late 90s cummins.... or powerstroke........ im also open to that option..... and towing 10,000+ pounds with a gutless 5.7? that sounds pretty absurd to me.. i mean ive owned a 5.7 and even though i wouldnt be pulling that much regularly... when i do i want to actually be able to do it not struggle....?

maybe a cummins with a nice stick shift is a better option..... unfourtunatley i picked up more work in a hurry and i need another truck and trailer fast but dont have much money... but next year this crew (provided it is successful this year) is definetley getting a nice new duramax ... who knows maybe brand new

Stay away from the 6.5. Buy a cummins or a powerstroke or go with a newer duramax. You will regret the 6.5.......guaranteed. Or just stick with the gasser. Chevy 350's have been around forever and are pretty reliable. They won't have the diesel power...but the 6.5 doesn't have real diesel power anyways.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the gas. It's 4x4 so you can put a plow on for the winter and make more money.
Echo blower
Sidehitcher bed edger
6.5x13 Trailer

2002 Ford Excursion w/7.5 Meyers
1989 Chevy 1500 w/7.5 Meyers
New Holland L175
John Deere 310D 4x4