Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2011, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

install challenge question

this thread harkens back to the days when steve p. would pose these questions. had something come up for the first time last week. I have solved the problem and know the answer- I'll let a few of you guys guess in and i will check in a few days.

installed 4 lights on one 12 guage circuit using Volt top dog spots. all spots are located about 100 feet from the trans. 2 lights, for 2 trees about 20 feet apart. each tree has one 20w 24d uplight mounted on ground, and one 35w 20d uplight about 20 feet up in the tree. king connections are made with the 25 foot leads aprox 15 feet apart. 13v tap on trans reads about 13.4.

the two ground lights and one tree mounted uplight work fine. all about 10.8- 11.1 volts. the last light reads voltage at socket, 10.9, but upon inserting the light, does not work. check again, reads voltage at socket. reinsert bulb, again, bulb does not light. I checked about 5 things before I found the culprit. anybody guess what the problem was?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
this thread harkens back to the days when steve p. would pose these questions. had something come up for the first time last week. I have solved the problem and know the answer- I'll let a few of you guys guess in and i will check in a few days.

installed 4 lights on one 12 guage circuit using Volt top dog spots. all spots are located about 100 feet from the trans. 2 lights, for 2 trees about 20 feet apart. each tree has one 20w 24d uplight mounted on ground, and one 35w 20d uplight about 20 feet up in the tree. king connections are made with the 25 foot leads aprox 15 feet apart. 13v tap on trans reads about 13.4.

the two ground lights and one tree mounted uplight work fine. all about 10.8- 11.1 volts. the last light reads voltage at socket, 10.9, but upon inserting the light, does not work. check again, reads voltage at socket. reinsert bulb, again, bulb does not light. I checked about 5 things before I found the culprit. anybody guess what the problem was?
Could be a number of things. We would have first checked the "new" lamp. Have taken mr16s out of box to many times that are bad. After that I would move right to the connection and put the pins of a mr16 right on the connection. If the light works there. Then your problem is the socket. We have had a few connections that pass volt reading on the meter but would not fire a lamp. Redo connection and boom.... Fires right up. Just because a socket has 12 volts doesn’t mean a mr16 will fire up.

On a side note whenever we service a system that we didn’t install we also dig up connections. Just to inspect the quality of the install. So many times around my area. I will see beautiful fixtures, nice s.s. Trans. And the connections are quick "discs" . 12 volts are able to pass through the connector but will not fire a halogen lamp.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't even gotten in the business, yet, but what the hey.

The obvious answer is a bad lamp. So.....that must be wrong?

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 04-03-2011, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

lamp was the first thing I tried. checked it for continuinity on the meter, beeped, then tried it on the fixture on the ground at base of tree. worked. but tried a new bulb anyway. no go.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So you have 10.9 up to the socket but the lamp is dark?
On a side note, are there any fuses in the circuit?
Old 04-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Sponsor

Could be a nicked lead wire going to that fixture (or a loose connection in the socket) (or a bad splice) - justs a few strands connected. With no load, the voltage is fine. With the lamp load, voltage drops enough so less than a few volts at the lamp.

stevep@voltlighting.com

Outdoor Lighting and LED Light Bulbs from VOLT®.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparrott View Post
Could be a nicked lead wire going to that fixture (or a loose connection in the socket) (or a bad splice) - justs a few strands connected. With no load, the voltage is fine. With the lamp load, voltage drops enough so less than a few volts at the lamp.

Like haha

I tried explaining this in my post.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

no nicked wire, no bad splice. tested voltage at the splice and the socket again after checking bulb, socket, splices, trans, will light bulb at splice but still reads 10.9 at socket and will not light bulb, and finally narrowed it down to...?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Sponsor

Need another clue.

stevep@voltlighting.com

Outdoor Lighting and LED Light Bulbs from VOLT®.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

note that I have never seen this before. once I tested all the above, it has to be this.