Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-02-2011, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Would aftermarket blade improve cut?

I've got a new Snapper push mower and it cuts OK if I set it down low to the ground. Set it up any higher than scalp height, and it leaves an uneven cut.

I prefer to cut my yard at 3.5 - 4 inches but this mower makes it look like crap when it's set that high.

I've hard of high lift mower blades and was wondering if something like that would help it stand the grass up and result in a better cut.

If a high lift blade would help, could someone recommend a specific brand? I've heard of Gator Blades and was wondering if that might work.

Thanks for your time.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A "high-lift blade" is essentially a bagging blade.
The height of the wing on the back edge of the blade cases more wind to flow under the deck and lift the grass for cutting.

So yes, it will cut better (as long as the blade is sharp). I am assuming, of course that the mower came with a mulching blade.

Gator Blades come in two versions, high-lift and mulcher. Get the high lift.
Some guys swear by them, others say they make no difference from OEM blades.

The difference between a Technician and a Mechanic - A Technician uses a book, the Mechanic uses his brain.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stupid question.....have you checked to make sure the blade is installed properly? It's happened to me more than once.....
Old 04-03-2011, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I think it's on there right but I'll look again.

Thanks very much to both of you for the info.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have an aftermarket high-lift blade on my push mower (came with a mulching blade). As previously mentioned, a high-lift blade is best when bagging. I have empire zoysia so I was bagging even before getting the high-lift blade. Much better cut with the high-lift and also improved oak leaf "lift", especially at higher/longer cutting.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i use high lift gator blades on my mower and they work well
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 04-04-2011, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use elimators (or terminators) a lot, they work Waaaay better than most....you can find them on the net.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2011, 03:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Cool, I'll definitely see if my dealer has a Gator blade for the Snapper. Will consider the Eliminator/Terminator as well.

I just hope I can find something that cuts good not just with the bag on but also when side discharging. I don't care to bag the couple of paid yards I cut and I only bag my own yard occasionally.

It would be great to have some extra pickup under there to bag up some leaves this fall, though.

Thanks again for the info.

BTW, everything else about this mower has been great. Plenty of power, easy to start, disperses clippings very well but if this issue with the quality of cut can't be solved, it's going up on Craigslist. A brand new $400 mower should leave a nice looking cut above all else, IMO. My old worn out beat to hell Lawn Boy leaves a nicer looking cut!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Strange you should bring that up. I had and older Snapper with the aluminum deck loved it. Paid for it by cutting yards. Excellent cut changed the engine out (no oil son was mowing the yard at the time and hadn't been checked by dad). Devoloped a crack in the deck. Bought a new pro series. Could not get a decent cut out of it. Didn't have the lift the old one did. With the old Snapper you could edge,come back let the edge of the mower hang over the sidewalk and not have blow or sweep it would suck it right up! Took it back got a 150Z ztr. Sold it after having it about 3 yrs. Now have an S50x brand new and love it. Probably would not buy another Snapper walk behind if I needed it. When Briggs took it over and came out with the new decks I think they ruined a good mower. Don't see very many Snappers on trucks anymore and that's all you used to see.
Stihl FS90R
Shindaiwa EB212 Blower
Stihl MS250
Kubota MX5000
Old 04-06-2011, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Thing is, I went into another dealer the other day and they had the consumer grade Toro 21 inchers for $50 less than I paid for the Snapper. They probably cut great.

Hopefully the new blade will help. I'm OCD about cut quality so it's really bugging me!