Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2002, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Help Please. Disassemble Kohler Starter Cleaning

I have had to clean the starters on my 20 hp Kohler's recently, but it takes me forever. Does any one have a suggestion for making it easier. I put a 7/16" wrench in a vise and then push the shaft of the starter into it to expose the little wire clip. I then use a very sharp pick to try to muscle the clip off. CAn take 5 min to 1 hr. After that it is relatively easy to disassemble. I also have lots of trouble getting the clip back on the shaft. Any suggestions?

After I get the clip back into its groove. I put the shaft into the 7/16" open end wrench in the vise and tap the end with a ball peen hammer to get the washer to cover the clip. Any suggestion for improving this operation are also appreciated.

I lost my clip on one of the starters (flew away while trying to reinstall). Where can I get another?
2-Walker 20 HP GHS, 1-Walker 26 hp GHS, 1-Walker 23 hp GHS, 42 and 48 GHS decks, 42 mulch deck, 42 discharge deck, 3-Honda WB, 3 Shind Trimmers, Stihl BR600 blower, Shind 260 edger, Two Shind Multi-tool with artic. clippers and chainsaw, Redmax 8000 blower, Redmax 7001 blower, Shind 803 Blower, Spyker walk spreader, sprayer for Walker mower, 3-Stihl chainsaws.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

buy snap ring pliers at an auto parts store. there are lots of adapters with them.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The little clip ring has not holes with which to grab it. It looks just like a "c".
2-Walker 20 HP GHS, 1-Walker 26 hp GHS, 1-Walker 23 hp GHS, 42 and 48 GHS decks, 42 mulch deck, 42 discharge deck, 3-Honda WB, 3 Shind Trimmers, Stihl BR600 blower, Shind 260 edger, Two Shind Multi-tool with artic. clippers and chainsaw, Redmax 8000 blower, Redmax 7001 blower, Shind 803 Blower, Spyker walk spreader, sprayer for Walker mower, 3-Stihl chainsaws.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

J-Thomas couldn't help with this?

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 09-27-2002, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the next time you take the clip off file a portion of the groove down so next time you can easily get a pick under the clip. Or place a magnet on or by the back of the clip. Then take needle nose pliers and place the points on each end of the ring and push it off. Just use regular pliers to squeeze it back on. Just a thought.