Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2011, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Does (10-0-0) X 3 of Organic equal 30-0-0 of chemical fertilizer

I am trying to figure out if i want to go organic in my backyard for the dogs or not. The chemical fertilizer i have been using is 30-0-0 and 23-3-6 (crab grass control). So my question is, if you put down three times the amount of 10-0-0 organic, does it equate to 30-0-0 of chemical fertilizer?

I have been looking online, it seems that corn glutin meal (CGM) seems to be the highest in nitrogen. What other organic products are high in N and can be bought at a feed supply store to try to keep the cost down.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've been struggling with a large yard with 2 large dogs, that are free to roam the entire yard... I have added zero (0) fertilizer for 5 years now... I've discovered that sugar/molasses work well to 'disperse' the effect of the urine over larger areas, essentially fertilizing the entire lawn...

BTW, a pound of N is a pound of N whether it is concentrated at higher rates or lesser rates... Slow release wastes less N, while urea disappears the fastest, so there are considerations beyond the N-P-K writings on the bag...

Do you have dog spots nows?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

It's tough to tell right now. This was our first few months in this house. I will have to access the areas they go most frequently when the green up starts. They as well have free roam so it is not real isolated.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2879 View Post
I am trying to figure out if i want to go organic in my backyard for the dogs or not. The chemical fertilizer i have been using is 30-0-0 and 23-3-6 (crab grass control). So my question is, if you put down three times the amount of 10-0-0 organic, does it equate to 30-0-0 of chemical fertilizer?

I have been looking online, it seems that corn glutin meal (CGM) seems to be the highest in nitrogen. What other organic products are high in N and can be bought at a feed supply store to try to keep the cost down.

Thanks,

Chris
if you have 100#'s of 30-0-0, you have 30#'s of N. If you have 100#'s of 10-0-0 you have 10#'s of N. So yes, 300#'s of 10-0-0 does equate to 100#'s of 30-0-0.

Considering you have to use 3x as much not sure how much your are going to save. But your calculations are correct.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I failed to mention one very important point. When you are putting down organic fert, for example manure, based on N requirements. You have to consider the amount of the other nutrients. For eaxmple manure has twice the amount of P as N. So if you apply manure based on an N requirment you will over apply P.

This should be carefully understood if you are using organic fert to supply the required amount of N.

In the 10-0-0 example there is no issue. But i wanted to aleast share this most important point.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Salt index

Chris,
Your salt index will be off the charts.
Organic or chemical doesn't make a difference
all fertilizer contains salt.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Chris, I have had good luck with liquid fish emulsion and kelp. Go to my website http://carolinaorganiclawns.com/ and click on the "Aggrand" Natural ferts banner for lots of info on their organic fertilizers.

I also use it in my compost tea.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2879 View Post
It's tough to tell right now. This was our first few months in this house. I will have to access the areas they go most frequently when the green up starts. They as well have free roam so it is not real isolated.
So you have not experienced how the dogs effect this new grassy area... The point I was trying to make is that you want zero (0) Nitrogen Fertilizer added to your lawn's location where the dogs run...

Dog spots are Nitrogen burn, not acid... Urine deposits are less severe if there is a lot of microbial activity to digest it before it kills the grass... If you add N to it now, the burns will not likely be neutralized at all...
Old 04-06-2011, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The advantages of using an organic fertilizer are increased microbial activity that will improve nutrient cycling, better soil structure, improved drought tolerance, and less disease and insect problems. No need to apply the same amount of N/1000 as salt based fert.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt