Register free!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:02 PM

pallets for firewood?

A buddy of mine breaks up pallets to use for heating his warehouse. He blends in split firewood too, but I was wondering how safe it is to burn pallets.....like what types of wood is used in making pallets?? (I know elms are) What do you all think? Thanks :)
Old 10-28-2008, 08:47 PM

Most of the woods used i beleive are oak , pine and poplar. Only concern i'd have would be all the Hardware. Maybe the Nails. I would not use any that had paint or looked coated.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:15 AM

I got in trouble in San Diego, CA but the SDPD for burning pallets. There reason was that the pallets are injected with chemicals something similar to pressure treated wood.

Well anyways it would make sense to water proof them and what not.

I just thought it was because they didn't want the nails in the pit.

Not sure if this is true or not.

Hope it helps
Old 10-30-2008, 06:33 PM

pallet burning

Hey canyon -- there must not have been any good lookin' chicks at the beach the day the SDPD busted you for 'pallet burning'. :laugh:

I was looking up sites regarding pallets .... most sites want to sell pallets, but I found a couple that said pallets are made of hardwoods, softwoods, and pine. We sell our pallets to a customer who owns a large pallet company here (for a buck a pallet). He says they make 'em out of whatever they can find. Sometimes pressure treated, but that's rare.

We go through over 200 pallets a year, so I keep trying to think what I can build..........only thing I've ever made out of pallets was a recycle bin for yard waste. Oh well.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Hey canyon -- there must not have been any good lookin' chicks at the beach the day the SDPD busted you for 'pallet burning'. :laugh:

I was looking up sites regarding pallets .... most sites want to sell pallets, but I found a couple that said pallets are made of hardwoods, softwoods, and pine. We sell our pallets to a customer who owns a large pallet company here (for a buck a pallet). He says they make 'em out of whatever they can find. Sometimes pressure treated, but that's rare.

We go through over 200 pallets a year, so I keep trying to think what I can build..........only thing I've ever made out of pallets was a recycle bin for yard waste. Oh well.

Well i think the problem was too many good looking chicks, from the two woman officers who stopped us...

It makes logical sense to what you said...they did not look like PT wood and I even brought that up to the cops, i think it just pissed them off even more.

Why do you guys go through so many?
Old 10-31-2008, 05:28 PM

lots O pallets

Our main biz is lawn care (mostly using dry fert), and we go thru at least 200 tons of it per year. With the high cost of lumber, there's gotta be way to use pallet wood for buildings or something --- I saw an article a few years ago where a guy sided his house with aluminum beer cans. :laugh:
Old 10-31-2008, 08:21 PM

When I was a kid my dad worked for a printing company.
He would bring home pile of old pallets that wouldnt hold up for shipping anymore.
We heated our house for years that way and always worked fine.

I still use some pallets here at my house now.
I will not however burn the pallets that my fert came on.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:46 PM

You should sell them to a company that referbishes pallets and puts them back into the work stream. I know there are companies out there that do that. Not sure where.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:48 PM

ive been burning pallets for a long time just for fun/entertainment. They make great bon fires if you put 5-10 of them together. I think they are safe to burn. I have never smelled anything toxic or anything like that. I think these pallet companys just make them out of whatever they can find. Ive never seen a pressure treated pallet. The only drawback to burning them in a burner is all the nails and metal brackets they use.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsquirrel View Post
You should sell them to a company that referbishes pallets and puts them back into the work stream. I know there are companies out there that do that. Not sure where.
there use to be a company in hanson MA that did that. The old guy doesnt do it any more but hes got thousands of pallets left over that we have permission to take and burn. Hes in the process now of chipping them all up. :(