Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2011, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlBR600 View Post
Is there really a whole thread on how to get a bolt off? its common freaking sense. If you cant figure out the principle of leverage you have problems. Oh yeah get a real impact and you wont have this problem
I love guys that come in complaining about why a threads so long over a bolt and instead of just thinking it they have to post, bumping the thread and keeping it going, and no the whole thread's not about how to get a bolt off.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944own View Post
Ok I always let this guy at a little tire shop by my house change my blades well he quit so I am trying to change my blades on my Lesco ztwo. My impact just wont break the bolts and I tried putting a block of wood between a blade and the deck and pulled so hard it looked like the blade was bending. Am I doing something wrong could they be threaded backwards so right would be loose instead of lefty loosey or has he just put these things on like hercules. In so many words how can I get them off. Thanks
Something I've learned thru the years is to use a box end wrench when you're using a "cheater pipe" on something. This keeps the torque in a straight line compared to a ratchet/socket. Works much better with much less chance of busted knuckles and rounded shoulders.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm guessing the guy didn't apply grease on the bolt and over tighten it.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 04-07-2011, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Member

get a good impact wrench
Old 04-07-2011, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944own View Post
Ok I always let this guy at a little tire shop by my house change my blades well he quit so I am trying to change my blades on my Lesco ztwo. My impact just wont break the bolts and I tried putting a block of wood between a blade and the deck and pulled so hard it looked like the blade was bending. Am I doing something wrong could they be threaded backwards so right would be loose instead of lefty loosey or has he just put these things on like hercules. In so many words how can I get them off. Thanks
i don't know about the lesco brand but the mowers i've come across are righty tighty, lefty loosey.

i use a breaker bar on my mower blades on my 52" grandstand and a block of wood. my impact isn't powerfull enough either.

i know the manuals suggest a certain torque when tightening bolts on mower blades but i just use tighten them as tight as i can with my own strength and the breaker bar.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Stihlbr600, how old are you? Not old enough. If you want to bad mouth and throw your sorry attitude around, then take it somewhere else. You prick.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Pride View Post
While I was aware they had battery powered Impacts, I just didn't realize they were worth a damn?? How much is a descent one? Suggested brand names? Apparently I need atleast 450lb torque power.

I still love using the ratchets for the mower, but I could use that impact the truck, alot.
Yea the battery powered impact wrenches are worth their weight in gold all day long. I have a dewalt 18v, they also have a compact unit out now, little less torque but still adequate.You dont really need 450lbs of torque. 300-350 is more then adequate. The bolts only need to be torqued to 80 lbs or so give or take. I bought mine off of ebay for around $300 and then purchased a set of sockets from an auto store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
I didn't mean to sound like an a** I was going to put obe of those smiley characters but I can't on my phone. Anyhow I have a dewalt 18v 1/2" drive. The biggest they make and it has pretty good power. Don't remember how much it was though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea those are very good units. I think I paid around $300 for mine. You just gotta make sure the front end is jacked up high enough so the entire length of impact wrench can fit under the blade bolt to zip it off.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&K Lawns View Post
Stihlbr600, how old are you? Not old enough. If you want to bad mouth and throw your sorry attitude around, then take it somewhere else. You prick.
i'll second that........

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Toro_4ME View Post
Yea the battery powered impact wrenches are worth their weight in gold all day long. I have a dewalt 18v, they also have a compact unit out now, little less torque but still adequate.You dont really need 450lbs of torque. 300-350 is more then adequate. The bolts only need to be torqued to 80 lbs or so give or take. I bought mine off of ebay for around $300 and then purchased a set of sockets from an auto store.

Yea those are very good units. I think I paid around $300 for mine. You just gotta make sure the front end is jacked up high enough so the entire length of impact wrench can fit under the blade bolt to zip it off.
ok stihlbr600 brace yourself cause i'm gonna ask toro here a question about a problem i'm having.

what is wrong with my situation toro. i have a 10 gallon air compressor and an impact gun and wrench. neither one will loosen the bolt at all. i know the wrench won't work but i figured the gun would have.

i'm asking because i hear people all the time talk about there cordless 18v units and i can't even do it with an air powered unit.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Id say your tank isn't big enough to adequately run your gun. If that was on a bigger say 60 gallon tank it would probably spin right off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2011, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
Id say your tank isn't big enough to adequately run your gun. If that was on a bigger say 60 gallon tank it would probably spin right off.
Posted via Mobile Device
that would have been my guess but i wanted others opinions.

i told the guy at napa (where i bought the tank) what i was using it for and he assured me it would work.

probably should have taken it back right away but i use for everything else i do so it'll work until i decide otherwise. not a lot of room under the deck for that impact gun anyway.

might sell the tank i have to my dad and get a bigger one down the road.