Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2011, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Organic garden store

I own a lawn service and I recently opened a small garden store which specializes in organic garden supplies. Business has been slow in the store but has been good for the lawn service with the increased visibility. I appreciate the conversation here and I'm looking for ideas on products and marketing.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2011, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is a fun idea... What do you have now?

You could add berries and other exchange items that some people bring in, and you take a profit on what is sold there. That would ignite interest throughout the gardening communittee. I wouldn't make a big issue about "Official Organic Certification" rather a discussion between buyers abd seller about cultural practices... Keep it Simple is very successful around here... but there are no real organically minded markets in our area... Just a thought...
Old 04-06-2011, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Get into permaculture....and maybe sponsor a small farmers market...slow food and small farmers...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2011, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Plant exchange... is another one...

What is meant by "Permaculture"???
Old 04-06-2011, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
That is a fun idea... What do you have now?

You could add berries and other exchange items that some people bring in, and you take a profit on what is sold there. That would ignite interest throughout the gardening communittee. I wouldn't make a big issue about "Official Organic Certification" rather a discussion between buyers abd seller about cultural practices... Keep it Simple is very successful around here... but there are no real organically minded markets in our area... Just a thought...
So far we have organic products from Dr. Earth, Pharm Solutions and Earth Harvest( Hi Bill). We have some pottery and garden art. Behind the store is a small fenced area, say 1500 sq ft, where we have some shrubs and perennials. Out front we have a sign up advertising aeration. Its been great for that part of the business. I aerate on Saturdays and I'm booked for the rest of April.

Keep the ideas coming. I like the berry idea. I don't know what Permaculture means but I will look it up.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGLN View Post
So far we have organic products from Dr. Earth, Pharm Solutions and Earth Harvest( Hi Bill). We have some pottery and garden art. Behind the store is a small fenced area, say 1500 sq ft, where we have some shrubs and perennials. Out front we have a sign up advertising aeration. Its been great for that part of the business. I aerate on Saturdays and I'm booked for the rest of April.

Keep the ideas coming. I like the berry idea. I don't know what Permaculture means but I will look it up.
right back at ya, thanks we appreciate the business
Old 04-26-2011, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Still looking for ideas? We have had a wet and cold spring so far. Business is slow in the store. Here is a pic of the inside.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2011, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGLN View Post
I own a lawn service and I recently opened a small garden store which specializes in organic garden supplies. Business has been slow in the store but has been good for the lawn service with the increased visibility. I appreciate the conversation here and I'm looking for ideas on products and marketing.

Thanks
My instinct is with something 'nichey' like this, you're probably going to need to rely quite a bit on word-of-mouth by happy customers in order to be successful.

I suggest that you think about the concept of personalizing your business / services to each & every person that walks inside your door.

A few ideas 4U to ponder:

1) Garden Weasel - No doubt the most laughed-at but at the same time, the most under-estimated hand tool ever invented! To really market this tool, you ought to have impromptu demos around your shop in both turf applications as well as the tools' original target market: landscape/garden cultivation.
2) garden hose siphon kits - for use in drawing liquid concentrates (such as semi-concentrated compost tea or molasses, etc) to a more diluted, ready-to-use Mr. homeowner lawn-sprayable dilution rate.
3) Victor / Woodstream Out-O-Sight mole traps (they rock!)
4) Mulch / compost forks.......(and suits-of armor... as potential add-on sales!)

Sounds like a blast!
Good luck to U!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
My instinct is with something 'nichey' like this, you're probably going to need to rely quite a bit on word-of-mouth by happy customers in order to be successful.

I suggest that you think about the concept of personalizing your business / services to each & every person that walks inside your door.

A few ideas 4U to ponder:

1) Garden Weasel - No doubt the most laughed-at but at the same time, the most under-estimated hand tool ever invented! To really market this tool, you ought to have impromptu demos around your shop in both turf applications as well as the tools' original target market: landscape/garden cultivation.
2) garden hose siphon kits - for use in drawing liquid concentrates (such as semi-concentrated compost tea or molasses, etc) to a more diluted, ready-to-use Mr. homeowner lawn-sprayable dilution rate.
3) Victor / Woodstream Out-O-Sight mole traps (they rock!)
4) Mulch / compost forks.......(and suits-of armor... as potential add-on sales!)

Sounds like a blast!
Good luck to U!
Thanks for the ideas. I think the mole traps are illegal in Washington State. I have a "mole guy" I call who charges $75 per mole.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Boy did I pick the wrong time to open the store. Business has been slow but we have been keeping up with the overhead so far. We did a home show last month which really helped get our name out there. Turns out that our best selling product is outdoor cedar furniture.

I'm stilling looking for product ideas. Any ideas for Christmas gifts for gardeners?