Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2002, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark Hydraulic oil filters$$$$$

$15 bucks each??? Are any of you guys using a more cost effective option?

Exmark Hydro oil filter
P/N 1-513211
60" Lazer Z 23 HP Kaw

Thanks for your opinions/ comments.

Pat
Old 09-27-2002, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Since you're only changing it once a year and there is only one filter to change I wouldn't bicker about the price. Dixie Choppers use 2 filters and the replacement oil is 30 bucks a gallon.

Old 09-28-2002, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Martin
Since you're only changing it once a year and there is only one filter to change I wouldn't bicker about the price. Dixie Choppers use 2 filters and the replacement oil is 30 bucks a gallon.
Richard, I understand what you're saying and I appreciate your reply, but I'm a bit anal about the fluids and change the hydraulic filter 2-3 times a year.

It looks like an ordinary filter, similar to the one on my dirt bike, I was just wondering why I can purchase a filter for the bike at $4.00, but the hydraulic Exmark fillter is $15?

Still looking for a suitable replacement.

Thanks,
Pat
Old 09-28-2002, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think they are all high !!! i just gave 21.95 for one a month ago. (for a great dane )but we run mobil1 in the hydro so that comes out to about 22.00 a gallon
Old 09-28-2002, 04:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Okay then, here's the reason they cost more than a regular oil filter. They flow oil in a completely different fashion. In that I mean that a engine pushes the oil through the filter, a hydro system pulls the oil through the filter. Since the hydro manufacturers want to make sure the pumps are not starved for oil by a clogged filter the filter media isn't as dense as an automotive filter. Auto filters are in the 20 to 30 micron range, hydro filters are 40 micron and up. Since you have to have a custom filter they cost more than auto filters which are made by the millions.

In regards to changing the hydro filter more often than the recommendation, that is a no-no. The Exmark rep said not to change the hydro filters other than at the recommended intervals. Everytime that you open the hydro system you are increasing the risk that contaminants will get into the oil.

The next time you change the filter cut the old filter open and see what is in it. You might be suprised to see nothing.

Old 09-28-2002, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Fact or fiction?

I don't believe it. I think it's a scam. I don't think it cost's the manufacturers 3-5 times as much to produce hydro filters as opposed to oil filters. Think about it, it's a paper or paper/fabric media that is corrugated wrapped and stuffed in a tin can. Microns/smicrons, there cant be that much of a difference in price.

DISCLAIMER:

The previous rant is based on opinion only and not a study in facts. I'm just a guy who thinks it's ludicrous to pay $15 for a hydro filter and $3 for a oil filter.

Scott
Old 09-28-2002, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Manufacters cost's

My 2C, I am not defending the high cost's of lawn equiptment filters at all. But how many filters a day does say fram, purolater pump out per day for a given automoblie filter versus a hydro filter for a Exmark,toro,hustler. No where in comparison, Id say, so you have to take into account the lower cost's due to higher volume or vis versa the higher cost's due to low volume.

Like I said my 2c

Dan the lawn care man
Old 09-28-2002, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Not to set off a debate here, but filters are like tires. Do you guys think that in the case of tires, there's 100's of companies that are making the tires you drive on everyday? Nope...there's only about 5 different companies in the world that possess the rubber for these tires. They make other companies tires, ie, BFGoodrich makes Mud King radials, and then they're sold under the generic or "off-brand" name. When you get some Futura tires from Pep Boys, Futura didnt make anything. Now, the case of filters...there's only so many filter companies in the world. They're all made in the same factories, and then just labeled differently. So, I can understand that the physics of a hydro filter is different, but I do not feel it justifies the price. You may want to try Baldwin or Wix's cross reference system to see if your filter is available from them. Other than that, it's gonna be suck it up at the Exmark counter
Old 09-28-2002, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Martin
Okay then, here's the reason they cost more than a regular oil filter. They flow oil in a completely different fashion. In that I mean that a engine pushes the oil through the filter, a hydro system pulls the oil through the filter. Since the hydro manufacturers want to make sure the pumps are not starved for oil by a clogged filter the filter media isn't as dense as an automotive filter. Auto filters are in the 20 to 30 micron range, hydro filters are 40 micron and up. Since you have to have a custom filter they cost more than auto filters which are made by the millions.

In regards to changing the hydro filter more often than the recommendation, that is a no-no. The Exmark rep said not to change the hydro filters other than at the recommended intervals. Everytime that you open the hydro system you are increasing the risk that contaminants will get into the oil.

The next time you change the filter cut the old filter open and see what is in it. You might be suprised to see nothing.

I completely agree. Price the hydro system, then see if its worth giving up some quality on your filter.
Old 09-28-2002, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

On Exmark Lazers, its only a yearly maintenance item.

First time is at 250hrs then yearly thereafter.

From PAGE 37 of the Owners Manual...

Changing oil unnecessarily could damage hydraulic system by introducing contaminates into the system.

Unless your putting over 500hrs a year on, I'd just do it seasonally. The more times you open that cap, the more damage you can do.

"

but I'm a bit anal about the fluids and change the hydraulic filter 2-3 times a year."

I would like to see you more "anal" about the correct filter then how often you change it. Remember, the hydro system is not an internal combustion engine, there is no problem with contaminates like on an engine.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980