Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2011, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

me personally, I wouldn't stop.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbonz View Post
I'd rather just stop in and find out that I don't need to,, then the other way around.
Once again, go to this site and determine for yourself. It ain't rocket science. You stop with your rig at the weigh station to ask and next thing you know, they are inspecting you and slapping you with tickets for violations. Sit at your desk and do a little reading. You're spending hours here on Lawnsite, do some homework and save yourself aggravation. Or don't.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...escription.htm
Old 04-06-2011, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmmm....it appears that you may not meet the definition of a commercial motor vehicle and therefore not have to stop.

A commercial motor vehicle:
1) Has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more inclusive
of a towed unit with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds; or
2) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more; or
3) Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or
4) Is of any size and is used for the transportation of hazardous
materials in a quantity requiring placarding.

Here's a link to the whole Motor Carrier Handbook. http://www.dsf.state.ct.us/dmv/lib/d.../mch.pdf#30292

As a side note, it appears that the I'm not meeting all the DOT requirements when I'm towing my 10K dump trailer with a truck with a 9,200 GVWR (Over 18,001 GCWR).
Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbGuyNC View Post
Once again, go to this site and determine for yourself. It ain't rocket science. You stop with your rig at the weigh station to ask and next thing you know, they are inspecting you and slapping you with tickets for violations. Sit at your desk and do a little reading. You're spending hours here on Lawnsite, do some homework and save yourself aggravation. Or don't.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...escription.htm

Nah,, that's alright, I just throw my 21 in the back of that 65 Buick in my sig, to mow anyway.

Gravely ZT XL 48" 24hp Kawasaki
Husqvarna 48" Belt drive W/ETS W/Pro-slide
21 White W/bagger
Toro 4 Stroke B/P blower
Toro Split shaft trimmer
assorted attachments 5x8 trailer
94 ECLB 6.5 K2500 Chevy ~ SnoWay 8ft plow
Old 04-07-2011, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbGuyNC View Post
By my experience, when you ask 10 different lawn enforcement officers what the compliance requirements are, you will get ten different answers. ]

I was sitting a Bob Evans one morning eatign breakfast and a group of state dot officers sat down at the booth next to us. They were arguing over dot regulations and who was right and who was wrong. I'm just sitting there thinking, if they don't know what they are enforcing, how the hell are we suppose to be able to comply.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 04-07-2011, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Member

If you are in a state that requires a state dot number and there are 40 or so states that do, even for intrastate (within your state) travel, then you must stop. My neighbor down the street is a dot officer and seems pretty up on the regulations when I asked him. I was not aware that I even needed a dot number but I do for several reasons, commercial plates, name on the trucks, tandem trailers and combined GVW being over 10,001 lbs. Most of the time the DOT officers will wave the LCO trucks through unless they spot something that does not look right. Almost every state is doing this now, there are only a few not, federal road funding is dependent on DOT compliance.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah here it's 18,001 for intrastate and 10k for interstate.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Hmmmm....it appears that you may not meet the definition of a commercial motor vehicle and therefore not have to stop.

A commercial motor vehicle:
1) Has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more inclusive
of a towed unit with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds; or
2) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more; or
3) Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or
4) Is of any size and is used for the transportation of hazardous
materials in a quantity requiring placarding.

Here's a link to the whole Motor Carrier Handbook. http://www.dsf.state.ct.us/dmv/lib/d.../mch.pdf#30292

As a side note, it appears that the I'm not meeting all the DOT requirements when I'm towing my 10K dump trailer with a truck with a 9,200 GVWR (Over 18,001 GCWR).

If he crosses state lines or a weigh station, federal DOT rules apply. 10k or higher he will have to abide by federal DOT laws.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbonz View Post
I'd rather just stop in and find out that I don't need to,, then the other way around.
My thoughts exactly. What's the big deal with stopping? Is your setup not legal?

Old 04-09-2011, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Member

2 years ago I was stopped at a weight station in a western state and this was what the not so friendly DOT agent said:

- if the vehicle has the POTENTIAL to weigh over 12,500 lbs (vehicle + trailer whether you have a trailer or not or are hauling or not) you must stop.
- if you are over 50 miles from your point of origin (home) you must have a DOT approved log book to track hours of drive time.

- I probably weighed in at 12,000 to 14,000 pounds of actual weight.

- she said these rules are regardless of CDL requirements or not (26,001 lbs.)

- I argued every Ford and GMC full size pick-up or a Suburban / Excursion with a towing package qualifies under this interpretation!

- She said Yup...and pointed me to look out the window and an impound yard full of various LCO type vehicles! She pulled over people fitting this description all day long and impounded the vehicles for 24 hours due to no log books if they were 50 miles from their origin! There were maybe 30 to 40 contractor vehicles in the impound yard.

I called DOT...I thought she was a bad apple making a bad interpretation. Nope, the friendly voice at the other end said she was 100% correct...that is the Federal law of the land and if I did not like it I should call my Congressman.

This was a wake up call to me on gov't intrusion. The law makes no sense to me.

I was passing the weigh station on I-95 south of Fayettville, NC last year and was spot inspected and squeaked by because I was borderline 50 miles from the home address on my drivers license. They "gave me a warning".

I now carry a blank log book in my vehciles so I can quickly fill in the previous 3 days if they ask for it. You can get one at any truck stop.