Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-07-2011, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yard signs

I have been contemplating getting lawn signs for the longest time and cant make up my mind on what i want. I have been designing them for awhile and they all match my branding and i guess i need your opinions.

I need to know whether to go with:
-Full Color, 2 colors, or one color
-1 side or 2 sided
-18"x24" or 12"x18"
-HD Stakes or Normal Stakes
-100 pieces or 50 pieces

I think that yard signs are a great way of getting business because after done with a mulch job, stick it in the clients front lawn(with their permission of course) and then hand 10 neighbors on each side and across the street. 'We're in your area, look for our signs see the work we do......" type of letter with our business card and a brochure attached.

Also, with the big lawns we have the stripe the hell out of the, leave one there for a month(with permission) and get my name on my work.

This is what i am thinking.
-100 pieces
-2 sided
-two color(green and black/Grey/white)
-normal stakes
-18"x24"

Here is my design and a couple other ones that are the same. I am going to use the one that says Complete Grounds Maintenance.

Tell Me what you think and what i should do. I would love to hear feed back from you if you have used them and what has worked best for you.

White gardens, bosetti lawn care and a couple other on here i see them using them, but not to many other people. I think branding is huge but for full color vs 2 color its a 3.50 price difference each. I'm looking at 2.85 each plus stakes at .79 each and shipping at 45 dollars for 100.
Name:  Screen shot 2011-04-07 at 1.17.27 AM.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  58.3 KB
Attached Images

Insured and Licensed
Old 04-07-2011, 03:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

EDIT ON THE 'Complete Grounds Maintenance' not ground
Attached Images

Insured and Licensed
Old 04-07-2011, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I select 2 color and hd stakes, better to pay once then replace those twisted tin ones over and over again

Michigan has two seasons, winter and road construction.....!!!

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. Ecclesiastes 9:10
Old 04-07-2011, 03:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Commando View Post
I select 2 color and hd stakes, better to pay once then replace those twisted tin ones over and over again
not quite sure what you mean. Twisted tin ones? Are they weak so if you put in ground they break when you try to get them out?

They are h stakes, made out of metal.
Attached Images

Insured and Licensed
Old 04-07-2011, 03:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Every sign shop has different stakes, I bypass the cheap ones and get heavy duty .. .
The hd ones don't flex in the wind can be pulled up re staked over and over...

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. Ecclesiastes 9:10
Old 04-07-2011, 03:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Commando View Post
Every sign shop has different stakes, I bypass the cheap ones and get heavy duty .. .
The hd ones don't flex in the wind can be pulled up re staked over and over...
gotcha that makes sense. so they are justifiable for 1.65 each rather than .79cents?

Insured and Licensed
Old 04-07-2011, 03:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
gotcha that makes sense. so they are justifiable for 1.65 each rather than .79cents?
I pay like $3 a piece good deal at $1.65

Old 04-07-2011, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Member

too much info on your sign design. I know it looks simple and easy to read, but you are reading it sitting still.
your sign needs to be designed to
- draw attention to itself
- be easily read at 30 mph
- convey your message

get rid of the starburst with the "fully insured - free estimates"
put that in a straight line under your web address. Why not have some regular customers write a short review of your service. makes copies and have on hand.
then have your signs say "fully insured with references" or something like that, I mean, face it, who charges for estimates?
in any case, that little starburst, tho fully intended to draw attention, doesn't flow with the sign design and is too small to read.
from 30 feet away at 30mph, any text under 3 inches tall can't be read.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

oh, and the heavy duty sign stakes are a must. I always had a hard time convincing customers they were worth the extra buck and a half, but trust me, the regular H-stakes are made of galvanized #9 wire, first good wind and they will be laying over
Old 04-07-2011, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Lawn Care View Post
oh, and the heavy duty sign stakes are a must. I always had a hard time convincing customers they were worth the extra buck and a half, but trust me, the regular H-stakes are made of galvanized #9 wire, first good wind and they will be laying over

I will definitely get the heavy duty stands. Also, im not going to be charging customers to have these in their yards, i am going to be rewarding them. I am paying for my marketing not my clients.

I do see your point with the fully insured star bubble and i am considering removing. Its simple and straight to the point, you dont see a laundry list of services offered, you see a company name, a broad category of what we do, and a phone number and website.

Also, these are going to be put on residential streets where the speed limit is usually 25. I am not targeting the people flying by, i'm targeting my present clients neighbors. When they see our trucks there each week or on a big job, and then see a number to call after our trucks leave, they will know who to call and who is taking care of the clients property. How could you possible write down a number going 30 mph down a road? Maybe if you can see if from a quarter mile away but were not talking about billboards, just lawn signs. Something to get my name out there.

Here is a quick change with different font of what i think you were talking about.
Attached Images

Insured and Licensed