Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2011, 05:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ways my smart phone help me in business

I must say, my smart phone (HTC DROID ERIS) which is somewhat of and older smart phone has considerably helped me in business. This is my first smart phone and its great, when i upgrade i'll get one with a bigger screen though.

1. GPS on it is great. I don't even have to punch in my destination, i just speak to it and tell it where i want to go and using Google navigation it finds it and takes me there. works flawlessly for me.

2. email on the go, it has been the case that some potential customers have sent emails to me while I'm working via my website and I get them and respond ASAP. They are impressed with my response time.

3.There are lots of applications that one can download to help with business. I personally use Square. It is a free download and the company send you a free card reader. Square allows you to accept credit cards on you phone. Works great for me. they charge 2.75% per transaction. I like it.

4. I downloaded a to-do list app that has personal and work to-do lists. It helps me remember to write it down because i always have me phone. I also have a mulch calculator on my phone.

5. Obviously it helps me schedule my days on the calendar.

6. I have my quick books account bookmarked on my phone, so as soon as i finish a yard i just punch it right into Quickbooks. I also have a mileage log that i created on my computer using Excel and a phone log that i've transferred onto my phone. This helps in the paperless process.

Overall for myself and my business, I will most likely always have a smart phone. There are so many different applications. I tried on out the other day, its a mileage log that keeps track of itself, it's all GPS based and it records the miles for you, that you traveled that day. The phone also has a GPS for walking (I've never used it). You can scan things and send them to the computer, the uses seem to be almost endless. This business is my full time job. I'm 24 recently married (about 1 year ago) and i love it. My phone never ceases to amaze me, so i thought i would share with you guys how it's helped me. I'm not big in the social network on it. I never us Facebook on my phone ever! Its pretty much strictly business, thats how i like it.

-Matthew
Old 04-07-2011, 06:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bottom line it reduces paper work and helps me be more organized and write things down as the happen.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I love my smart phone it really is like have a computer with you at all times. My blackberry synchs with my outlook calender, address book, excel, email etc etc. I have been considering the credit card swiper for a while. Sounds like you really like it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I just got the square card reader too. How long have you been using yours and are you pleased with it?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I love my HTC incredible! It has helped me a lot with email response and such..... where did you get the mulch calculator that you have on it?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an HTC EVO and still trying to use it to the fullest. What's the name of the calendar you have? There is one on my phone but I don't like it. And the name of the mulch calculator. Did you get them from the market?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Square, I do like it. I actually just found it over the winter so i haven't had a huge opportunity to utilize it. But for the little that i have used it, it works great. It takes a few days for the money to get wired through but it hasn't failed yet. You can also key in the credit card number.

Mulch Calculator- I did not get it from the market, although i guess i should have checked there, but i went to a local Mulch distributors website who has a really nice calculator and i just saved that page as a bookmark on my phone and put it on one of my homescreens as a shortcut, so all i do is hit the shortcut and it takes me right to the calculator. I can give you the website if you want.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't count out facebook quite so quick! It can be a valueable buisness tool as well, its exactly what u called it a social network aka networking! It can be a great way to get your name around and can be used as free advertising. Think that landscape install/ sweet mowing lines look great? Take a pic and send it to everyone of your friends. It can reach a lot of eyeballs very quickly and best of all for free!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2011, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCityLawnCareLLC View Post
Square, I do like it. I actually just found it over the winter so i haven't had a huge opportunity to utilize it. But for the little that i have used it, it works great. It takes a few days for the money to get wired through but it hasn't failed yet. You can also key in the credit card number.

Mulch Calculator- I did not get it from the market, although i guess i should have checked there, but i went to a local Mulch distributors website who has a really nice calculator and i just saved that page as a bookmark on my phone and put it on one of my homescreens as a shortcut, so all i do is hit the shortcut and it takes me right to the calculator. I can give you the website if you want.
Whats the mulch website and name of your calendar?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2011, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
Whats the mulch website and name of your calendar?
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't know if he uses the same one but I always use http://www.gardenplace.com/content/c...ulch_calc.html