Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-08-2011, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I want to tell you guys a story about a dealer i met yesterday and i learned alot about % on dealer mark up on a item . First off i have run Husqvarna items for 12 years , second i was in a new town opening a new branch and i was looking for a HV dealer to service my crews. we talked about a hour and i learned this my 223L trimmers we have paid @275+tak approximatly 325.00 he tells me if i by 3 he will let them go at his cost plus 10 % and out of curiosity he told me after tax i would pay 180and change on the 9800.00 mower they introduced with the dual speed hydro he said if i buy 3 we would go 5700.00 plus tax off the truck and he would never have them in his store but would offer the same service i have always had ...... now ask your self how much your dealer makes . mine makes nearly double his cost for the same products and i have bought 250 items from him ........not any more i tell you that . as for made in china mowers i cant speak for BEAST but bradly's stander is a fine unit reguardless of where its made ,
Old 04-08-2011, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Gordon I have a request of you in reguards to the beast walk behinds and if you could figure out a plan it would help us out in the future. As far service we have functioning service shop, what would be needed as for training and cost to become a certified parts service person ? as far as spindles belts, coils ect what would the top 10 Items a small shop would need to keep in stock to prevent major down time due to the little things and would you guys offer service packs for these items to make it easier for LCOS to use them in fleets and to make it easier then me driving 50 miles to HD.

If this is not something to discuss here Pm me we may would be interested in multiple units this year if we can get parts set up
Old 04-08-2011, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Not to get off topic but, are you referring to "new" horizontally opposed Boxer engine? The one Toyota built for them. WRX's are just subcompacts with crap bolted on to attract younger buyers. Again just another example of creative marketing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Some of us are younger buyers...lol. And go check one out at the dragstrip sometime, they are more than bolted on exterior pieces I promise. Anyway, I see Subaru engines on commercial generators and pressure washers all the time. Surely you've heard of the Robin engine.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Name another MAJOR ZTR manufacturer that uses subaru engines. Robin engines can trace their lineage back to Wisconsins. Another marketing trick in action. Take a proven durable design and then cheapen the manufacturing costs while retaining the original look people had grown to trust. Case in point, Chinese made "GM" 6.2L diesels.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2011, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Name another MAJOR ZTR manufacturer that uses subaru engines. Robin engines can trace their lineage back to Wisconsins. Another marketing trick in action. Take a proven durable design and then cheapen the manufacturing costs while retaining the original look people had grown to trust. Case in point, Chinese made "GM" 6.2L diesels.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am not aware of any other ZTR manufacturer using this v-twin. However, I believe this engine is used on a market leading industrial welder generator and several other similar industrial applications. GXi was asked to use it on the Home Depot mowers and to tell you the honest truth, they are the best engines of all we have tested. They are bullet proof. All our engineers and techs like this engine the best. It is not the least expensive...it has a premium cost...but it has proven to be durable, powerful, and relatively quiet...it also has a nice sound to it that is quite distinctive. Almost no quality, warranty or durability problems at all. As the manufacturer we give this engine two thumbs up! You will not be disappointed with this engine. If you test the mower you will quickly understand what I mean. Take it onto a hill with tall wet grass and cut it down to 1.5 or 2 inches and see how this engine responds. At a rating of 22hp it does better than other 25hp rated engines. We have abused this engine pretty aggressively during testing and found very few shortcomings.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gordon,

Any chance on you answering my warranty question?
Old 04-09-2011, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Dog2001 View Post
Gordon,

As someone who followed the previous thread on this subject, and also followed this thread, I just wanted to take the time to thank you for taking your time to field questions. Your answers have been informative and appreciated. Also I find it refreshing that you have been able to come on here and provide information on your product without finding it necessary to continuously badmouth your competition the way Ive seen some other manufactures do.

Im am hoping you can provide an answer to this one question, which I dont think has been answered thoroughly enough. Exactly how do you plan to warranty these mowers?

So let me start by asking this, lets say 3 months into ownership of a Beast product a spindle goes. Would your company be willing to ship the spindle under warranty to the owner, for him to do the work himself? Would your company be willing to guarantee that work would be covered under the warranty, and set up the service at a nearby location? Will you be keeping track of authorized service centers to make sure products are being warrantied and serviced correctly? What steps will be taken in the case of a warrantied component that a company like AllQuip decides not to cover?

These are questions that are important. It seems to me that its the new trend in commercial lawn equipment to find any excuse possible to not warranty a product. In a commercial lawn setting machinery is always going to take a beating, no matter how well maintained. Even if your machines fall $2000 less than the competition they still cost as much as $6000, and with that kind of an investment people deserve to have some piece of mind going in, especially with an unproven product.

I look forward to hearing your response. I wish you good luck with your product. Even if it is being built in China, you are obviously creating a good number of jobs here in that states, and I feel theres something to be said for that.

Lawn Dog.

These are all good questions.

First, GXi tracks all service calls, product registrations and service work orders in a database. Our technical support team is divided into two levels. Level 1 will set up work orders, etc. Level 2 are technical experts and provide assistance to service centers and owners with detailed repair issues and problem solving.

The database "ages" all work orders and tracks how long it takes for completion. Completion in GXi's system means the customer is happy and the service center was paid.

Service centers that are slow are removed from our list. Service centers that are fast get more referrals from GXi Level 1 reps.

GXi has about 500 in-warranty approved service centers set up (and more every week). You can search by zip code in your area on GXi's web site. If one is not convenient or you have a favorite, call a GXi Level 1 Customer Service rep. and let them know. They will contact the service center and see if they would like to work with us.

Altaquip is one of Home Depot's service solutions. If it is convenient, we use them. If it is not, we will use our own service network or referrals to local mower repair shops that we set up. There are advantages and disadvantages to each approach...so the best solution is selected given the circumstances and the wishes of the customer.

GXi sends parts FedEx every day. If you know you have a bad spindle and it is under warranty, GXi sets up the repair and ships a "consignment" spindle at no cost to the service center. We usually ship all in-warranty parts free so service centers don't have to tie up their $ and time making claims and waiting for refunds. There is no need for a service center to hold $20k in spare parts. Of course if they wish to, we sell parts too. Many larger LCO's have placed orders for blades, belts and a spare spindles when they buy the mowers. They say they have an on-site mechanic and do their own service work.

If an owner is technically competent or an LCO has a mechanic on staff and our Level 2 customer service rep is confident they can perfrom the repair, we can send in-warranty parts directly to the consumer. This often works well for minor issues or simple repairs or for LCOs with skilled mechanics.

Detailed repair "how to" videos are being prepared to show the correct hydro and deck set-up and calibration. This seems to be the area most service techs are unsure about. There are some issues such as ensuring the repairs meet factory specs., ANSI regulations etc.

There is nothing too difficult to repair on BEAST mowers, but there are some "tricks" that can save a lot of time and aggravation. We are documenting these now to improve service center and end user efficiency. For example, getting the hydros to track perfectly straight after a replacement through the entire control arm range of travel. If you know how, it is a 2 minute set-up. If you don't, it could be a frustrating afternoon of trial and error.

I hope this description helps. Of course we are under the microscope as we grow, and of course the #1 issue dealers will raise is potential parts and service issues...since this is an area they are known for being quite strong. I think you will find GXi very responsive to helping customers to counter these concerns. If we let some customers down I am sure you will read about it on this site!

Last edited by GordonwJackson; 04-09-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Gordon, how do you explain the Beast mower being falsely advertised as having a 7 gauge commercial deck? It blatantly has a 10 gauge unreinforced residential deck.

Could you clarify for the commercial mower community?
Old 04-15-2011, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was wondering about these. I saw one with a Robin/Subaru 22hp engine, but when I saw the price I got leery....well that and its sold at HD
RedMax Trimmer
RedMax Hedge Trimmers
5x8 tilt trailer
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missis...e/151402474671
Old 04-15-2011, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreds View Post
Gordon, how do you explain the Beast mower being falsely advertised as having a 7 gauge commercial deck? It blatantly has a 10 gauge unreinforced residential deck.

Could you clarify for the commercial mower community?
Hmmm, interesting.

I have yet to see one of these mowers and i'm anxious for my local HD to stock one.

Just to ask the obvious, i'm guessing you've seen one BigReds? What would lead you to believe it's 10 gauge.

I know clearly it's visible and there will be a weight difference i just had to ask.

Gordon,

If this is true or untrue, could you please address this? I hate to see something like this go unanswered.

Thx

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution