Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2011, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyst1 View Post
Hmmm, interesting.

I have yet to see one of these mowers and i'm anxious for my local HD to stock one.

Just to ask the obvious, i'm guessing you've seen one BigReds? What would lead you to believe it's 10 gauge.
I studied this mower from one end to the other. Local HD has one. It most definitely is NOT a 7 gauge deck, though every Home Depot ad, GXI's web site, Northern Tool (the Stanley Zs), all of them claim it is 7 gauge.

7 gauge is 3/16" thick, the industry standard for a commercial mower deck. I could be mistaken- the Beast may have a 12 gauge deck. But I know my metal, and I know what 7ga looks like.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreds View Post
I studied this mower from one end to the other. Local HD has one. It most definitely is NOT a 7 gauge deck, though every Home Depot ad, GXI's web site, Northern Tool (the Stanley Zs), all of them claim it is 7 gauge.

7 gauge is 3/16" thick, the industry standard for a commercial mower deck. I could be mistaken- the Beast may have a 12 gauge deck. But I know my metal, and I know what 7ga looks like.
Very interesting, you sound a lot like me. I'm no metallurgist but i know what is what. Thanks for the heads up.

Hopefully Gordon will clarify this.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 04-15-2011, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Gordon, how do you explain the Beast mower being falsely advertised as having a 7 gauge commercial deck? It blatantly has a 10 gauge unreinforced residential deck.

Could you clarify for the commercial mower community?

Please explain the source of your 10 gage measurement?

Top of deck has 2x thickness as well, reinforcing the pulleys and spindles.

I look forward to understanding where you came upon 10 gauge and no reinforcement.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Dear Bigreds,

Thank you for your feedback on both this thread, plus one other thread on this site, plus your emails on this matter. I understand you are the sales manager for Big Red’s Mowers, Grandbury TX (a Bad Boy and Snapper dealer). GXi appreciates the special interest you have taken in the BEAST mowers.

Please find below a discussion regarding the BEAST mowers’ deck construction (with the exception of the 48” Z-BEAST ZTR which has a stamped deck).

The objective of a fabricated deck is to make the deck as durable as possible. There are 3 aspects to this objective. First is to be strong enough to handle the forces experienced by the deck as a mechanical structure. Second is for the deck to be strong enough to withstand abusive impact during use. Third is to withstand long term metal fatigue. The overall approach is place the strength where it is needed, for instance the trailing edge of the deck and the sides receive far less abuse that the leading edge and the top of the deck.

GXi has approached the deck construction from this perspective.

The deck fabrication has 4 main areas:

The top surface of the deck that needs to withstand pulley and spindle forces as well as provides the primary structure for the entire deck and the deck lift cables. This portion of the deck is double reinforced with two layers of 3mm steel, 6mm total. This is 3 gauge thickness (6mm = .24” 3 gauge steel starts at .2391”). Several attached photos clearly show the double thickness reinforcement and the size of the second layer of 3mm steel covering about 75% of the top surface of the deck.

The leading edge of the deck is comprised of 3 strengthening features; 3mm primary base material, a 3mm bull nose and a 90 degree break along the entire leading edge. Combined, these features provide significantly more strength than 3 gauge thick steel. See attached photos.

The baffles are fully protected so they are 3mm steel.

The “skirting” which is the back trailing edge is made of 3mm steel and is also reinforced by the baffles.

The sides use 3mm steel and are reinforced with welded bar stock to support the exit chute, grass catcher attachment, etc.

The use of the term 7 gauge is truly an average since some portions are much thicker (3 gauge or more) and less critical portions of the deck are thinner.

I hope this description of the deck construction answers your question.

Please review the attached photos for more detail.

We look forward to any additional feedback you may have.

To see attached photos, please go to this thread (lawnsite only allows photos to be uploaded once).

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...11#post3988111
Old 04-15-2011, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If I am not mistaken in my conversions, 3mm is equal to 10 gauge, not 7 gauge. Am I wrong here? The metric system has always given me problems, but, If I am correct, we are talking 10 gauge, not 7 gauge as advertised.
If I am wrong, feel free to correct me.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

11 gauge metal is 1/8" thick (.125"), 7 gauge is 3/16" (.1875"), 3 gauge is 1/4"(.25"). To convert to metric, multiply the decimal number by 25.4.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

ok, .1875 x 24.4 = 4.7625.
Now, what does that tell us??
Old 04-15-2011, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

it means 3/16" steel, 7 gauge is around 5 mm. Gordon explains the deck is made of 2 layers of 3 mm steel thus 6 mm or around .25 thick.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This thread is just going to go back and forth until somebody actually buys one. Then after a real world trial they can post on here just like someone did with the BOP mowers. Personally I hope they are everything that Mr. Jackson has said they are. If they perform as well as the other manufacturers for less money what is the downside to that? As for "all American" line of thinking its no longer relevant. Everybody has to play nice in the sandbox or our economy will not survive. I do think the playing field needs to leveled from a global perspective though. But that's another thread.

Last edited by Patriot Services; 04-16-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ok guys i have asked gordon for help with a situation and if you want an honest non bias oppinion on beatrs just tell me on here and ill tell you my beast experiance since i asked gordon to talk to me and i se he has been on here and nothing at all from him . let me know ill tell the HONEST TURTH