Register free!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
This discussion brings up a lot of issues... check it out...

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/lawnchallenge/lesson5.html

To answer the question, the first thing I would do is not fertilize and not pre-m until after several mulch mowings.

The Illinois extention agrees with the Appleton Wisconsin extension office and it is good to remember that our current schedule has been developed 40 years ago by fertilizer Salesmen and pesticide Salesmen.

In the past decade Universities have started speaking out against their funding interests and are talking more along scientific and horticultural lines...

Most importanly, what they are saying makes sense...
Excellent information at the above link and is exactly in line with what Michigan State University says. Aeration is much more beneficial, less stressing to the lawn and can be done as many times as needed.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Pros View Post
Excellent information at the above link and is exactly in line with what Michigan State University says. Aeration is much more beneficial, less stressing to the lawn and can be done as many times as needed.
I remember a garden show about a Texas garden that had foot traffic across turf to see this public garden. Compaction from the thousands of people who visitted all season long was alleviated by aeration every 2 -3 weeks... Compaction is different than thatch of course and they had irrigation to keep the aeration from drying out the turf, in th Texas heat...
So you are right, as much aeration as necessary is fine, as long as there is irrigation, during heat...

The point of my post had to do with the causes of thatch, moreso than just the aeration to fix it. The other point that seemed confusing is the defintion of thatch...
I like this article for covering these issues in a clear consice manner...
Old 04-09-2011, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Axe.

I'm pretty much leaning towards aeration, but even as the article stated, you need to do it during a period of wet weather, or amble soil moisture.

That's my only hang up, making sure that I do it during a time that isn't going to stress the lawn.

Thanks for the help, I'll talk to the HO and see what his thoughts are.

To clarify too, the thatch layer I did observe isn't to excessive, but around 1" thick, thus being over the 1/2" threshold for a thatch layer.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

7k of lawn and 1" of thatch ground out with sharp flail blades will crank out much debris. Even just grinding out 1/2". I'd be far more concerned about hot weather stress to the lawn from grinding than even multiple passes with any aerator.
Posted via Mobile Device