Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Get this: An extra 10% off the service if they do more than one house on the block!
Their door hanger says fully insured and professional equipment. This is apparently a company with another location in the region as well. I don't like this one bit.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Some guy with a Craftsman figured he can mow a lawn in an hour, so 40 hours at $18.95 is pretty darn good money!

We all thought that at one point.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 04-08-2011, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do they do oil changes, too?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

its clever marketing. I'm sure somewhere on there it says "starting at...." their prices are probably on par with the rest of us. Then ask them to show you an example of a lawn that they will actually cut for $18.95 and see what happens. The guy probably just banks on the fact that he is (or so he thinks) a good salesman and just uses that advertising to get the phone call. Whether or not he is actually able to sell his stuff I have no idea.

I already got a few of these this year...tell someone $30 a cut and I get the "oh well so and so said $16" and i ask if they have had any other quotes and they usually say "yeah I had 3 others and they were all about the same price as you, but I like this guy that will do it for $16!" I just smile, hand them my card and say "well, you know what they say, if its too good to be true, it usually is" and then I get in my truck and leave and they are usually still standing there confused by the time I pull away. Some people just don't get it.

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Old 04-08-2011, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgreen View Post
Usually when you lose somebody, another great one comes along to replace them.

True, true!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

tell your potential customers and current customers that you specialize in fixing $18.95 cuts!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I found some flyers this year in a neighborhood i cut grass in saying lawns cut for 12.99.

That just blew my mind.

It's the only job i know,
Where i can walk in circles and talk to myself
And no one thinks i'm crazy.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Cutting grass just isn't that much fun. If you're not going to run it as a business and make money, why bother.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We got badly beaten up last year by our competitors advertising these $20.00 services. There are a lot of them that are saying they will cut lawns we cut @ $45 for thier low price of $20. Every flyer I find that has these moronic "no hassle" estimates left on one of my properties I call and ask them if they have insurance. I have yet to hear a yes from any of them. This year we shifted our advertising a little bit (which I did not like but felt we had to do) to try to bring in some of the calls these lowballers are getting, to us. Every advertisement we have for lawn service now says lawns as low as $19.99. You would be suprised at how hard it is to qualify for the $19.99 service. We have had great success this year with this type of advertising and we are yet to have a client who's lawn service is $19.99. This still bothers me though because I sit there and think if was another landscaper and picked up our ad I would be like WTF dude. And throwing low prices around is no good for the industry, but we could not have another advertising season like last with no prices on our flyers.
10Ft Dump Trailer
12Ft Leaf Box Billy Goat
60" Exmark Lazer Z
52" Hustler Mini Z
44" Toro Z Master
36" Bunton WB
21" Honda WB
Redmax & Stihl Handhelds
Bunch of other crap!!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

tell your potential customers and current customers that you specialize in fixing $18.95 cuts!

Couldn't be more true.
Closed Thread