Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2011, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Mower feedback???

Been out looking at Belt Drive Walk behind mowers to start a small lawn maintenance business. I am going to start small and grow as business grows. I enjoy working and have some time to get things going, but will eventually have someone running the day to day work at some point as I do have another business I own which will remain my full time work. I am diversifying economically.

So at this point I just need the initial mower which will be the primary mower . I already have my 2006 GMC 2500HD truck I am moving from my current business to start this second business, 6.5 x 14 dual axle trailer, Stihl BR600 backpack blower, 21" push, Echo line trimmer, Echo hedge trimmer, and the various accessories gas cans etc. I have looked at some used and new toro's which seem to have favorable feedback with regards to the cut and reliability. So far found a used 48" floating deck 16HP belt Toro for $1225with 650hrs VS a new Toro of the same for $4400. Today however I visited the local Scag dealer and he had just taken in a used 2 year old 36" Scag 16HP twin Kawisaki with 100hrs. Supposedly this customer buys a new Scag for his home every 100hrs. The mower looks good enough to be on the floor as new, it looks like the homeowner waxed it regularly. The dealer is asking $2300, but hinted that $2100 is obtainable.

So bottom line is with the intentions above will a 36" be sufficient until another mower is purchased before fall cleanup all things going as intended. And with what I have found so far should I jump on something or keep looking?
Old 04-08-2011, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mowers are like most things. If you get the 36 there will be many/most times you will wish you had a 48 and so on. My rule of thought is this. I started with a 33, then to a 48 walk behind. I now have a 52 zero turn. I still have the 48 walk behind. Last year I put 15 hours on the walk behind. I use the zero turn the most, the walk behind as a back up and, we use when 2 of us can mow and for a few hills. The 33 inch I still have but, haven't used it in 10 years. I seldom even use a push mower. If I can cut everything with the zero turn and a weed eater, that is what I use. Moral of the story is this. If I had to do over again... I would start with a zero turn and saved all the sore legs, sore arms, sore back, got done, done more and went home a lot earler. The 36 inch will work fine to start but, if you stick with it, someday you will have a bigger mower or a zero turn. Then you will also say, why did I start so small. Buy bigger than you need, then you are ready for big and small jobs. You have the trailer already. Most guys have the oppisite problem, big mower and small trailer. You also have the truck to pull it with. Buy as big as you can afford and, you won't be sorry. I use my z turn for residentials as small as 1/4 acre and as big as 5 acres. To me it's the perfect size. If you go too small you can't do or afford the big jobs as they will take you too long. If I have a 36 inch I have to work for 25.00 an hour. If I have a 52 inch, 60 inch, I am mowing more per hour thus, I make more per hour, thus the machine will pay for it's self many times over. One last thing, please don't give your services away just to get going. Your choice though. Best of luck to you !!!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Depends how small the properties you intend to cut are, if they are all small postage stamp size yards then 36 will be fine, if they are larger yards you going to kick yourself in the face for buying such a small mower. i personally dont own anything smaller then a 60 inch, i bought an exmark 48 inch years ago thinking i would use it for some of the smaller yards or yards with fences, and never ended up using it because it pissed me off it was so small. i put maybe 50 hours on it and sold it for 1500 bucks to a friend.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 04-08-2011, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seeing you live in upstate New York I think a 36 inch mower would be to small. 36ers are great for city mowing, going around swing sets,lawn chairs, dog chains, trampolines swimming pools, basket ball hoops, in-between two houses such as ally ways, between lamppost and curbs, into fenced in back yards and such. If you have bigger areas of grass to mow a 48 would be a better choice.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you do decide to go with a walkbehind, do yourself a favor and get a Hydro. I bought a 36" beltdrive a few years ago and wish I had went with a hydro. And I don't even use it that much! Belt drive sucks, too much work pulling it back.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

So after looking at many mowers, used & new, all size and styles, not to mention the reading here on lawnsite (member since 2006) I decided on the mower below. I think I will have a great balance of efficiency and productivity. Spent about and hour zipping around the yard bagging some leaves and debris, it will take some getting used to as I have never owned a ZTR Hydro mower before. So far I am pretty thrilled with my purchase. Enjoy the pics.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2011, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Forgot to mention, this is a new 2011 52" Grandstand.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard that those mowers have really good cut quality. They look like well built machines. Something that caught my eye is the righthand control lever, it looks bent. Is it bent? Or do they fold up?
Old 04-22-2011, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

The right control lever has the kill switch for the deck in it. It has to be down to engage the blades.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

OK, I had no idea they were like that. Good luck with your new mower, from what I've heard you should be happy with it.