Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2011, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Sulphate of Potash - Magnesia 0-0-50

Was considering this for drout tolerence for Bermuda here in Oklahoma as the summers get VERY Hot.

The only spread rate I could find recommended about 150 pounds per Acre.

Has anyone had experience using this? My grass seems to love sulfur, and it's got Sulpher in it too.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

That rate is about right. I put down 50#/15,000 sq ft size. Where did you get it and how much? Seems like it is much more expensive over the past few years.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks mishmoss,

I got it from Winfield Solutions here in OKC. It used to be called Estes. It's $9.50 per 50 pounds.

I really like, and they still sell, Estes Easy Grow - 17-5-9-10S. The Bermuda here loves that mix.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

That mix is like sand – really hard to see where it’s going.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kena48 View Post
That mix is like sand – really hard to see where it’s going.
Kena

May I suggest you sub out your Fert & Squirt to a real Lawn Care professional who has the proper equipment and knows what they are doing. Sulfate of Potash is actually a soluble fertilizer that should be applied with a Sprayer not a spreader. BTW it is also an oxidizer and has the warning Diamond on the bag so be careful.

Here is a Copy and Paste from my Website about Potash FYI

Potassium, K develops vascular flow, which is important for flowering, stem strength, vigor, disease resistance and overall hardiness. But most important is root Potassium, K develops vascular flow, which is important for flowering, stem strength, vigor, disease resistance and overall hardiness. But most important is root extension development for drought stress resistance. Potassium has full mobility systemically with in the plant. Potassium leaches ready from the soil. I personally like to use potassium on a minimum of one to one ratio with nitrogen. I will apply it in a 1 to 3 ratio on stressed turf. However it is a more expensive fertilizer. Potassium is a Luxury element that most plants will readily up take.

Potassium Deficiencies, first yellowing between veins of older leaves with yellow specks in the veins. Leaves then turn brown on the out side margin.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice Rick, but I haven't ran across any "real Lawn Care professionals who have the proper equipment and know what they are doing" around here.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kena48 View Post
Thanks for the advice Rick, but I haven't ran across any "real Lawn Care professionals who have the proper equipment and know what they are doing" around here.
Kena

Call True Green I am sure they have the proper equipment and will be an impovement.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 04-09-2011, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Kena

May I suggest you sub out your Fert & Squirt to a real Lawn Care professional who has the proper equipment and knows what they are doing. Sulfate of Potash is actually a soluble fertilizer that should be applied with a Sprayer not a spreader. BTW it is also an oxidizer and has the warning Diamond on the bag so be careful.

Here is a Copy and Paste from my Website about Potash FYI

Potassium, K develops vascular flow, which is important for flowering, stem strength, vigor, disease resistance and overall hardiness. But most important is root Potassium, K develops vascular flow, which is important for flowering, stem strength, vigor, disease resistance and overall hardiness. But most important is root extension development for drought stress resistance. Potassium has full mobility systemically with in the plant. Potassium leaches ready from the soil. I personally like to use potassium on a minimum of one to one ratio with nitrogen. I will apply it in a 1 to 3 ratio on stressed turf. However it is a more expensive fertilizer. Potassium is a Luxury element that most plants will readily up take.

Potassium Deficiencies, first yellowing between veins of older leaves with yellow specks in the veins. Leaves then turn brown on the out side margin.
In the essence of preserving our image I would like to make a few comments on your post:

There are granular forms of 0-0-50.

K is taken up in almost the same amount as N but that does not mean you should be putting it down as 1:1 or 1:3 on stressed turf. It should be put down based on a soil test.

K does not readily leach from soil. It readily leaches from organic material.

K essential function is osmotic control and enzyme activation.

You state most importantly is K's importance in "root extension development." Can you explain this further?
Old 04-09-2011, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Landscaper View Post
In the essence of preserving our image I would like to make a few comments on your post:

There are granular forms of 0-0-50.

K is taken up in almost the same amount as N but that does not mean you should be putting it down as 1:1 or 1:3 on stressed turf. It should be put down based on a soil test.

K does not readily leach from soil. It readily leaches from organic material.

K essential function is osmotic control and enzyme activation.

You state most importantly is K's importance in "root extension development." Can you explain this further?
Leo

Powdered Sulfate of Potash is soluble element and should never be applied with a spreader. obviously this thread starter has no clue. Sure Mosaic produces more granular Potassium than soluble Potassium because it is used in better blends of granular fertilizer in stead of Mutated Potassium 0-0-62 which also has high chloride.

Potassium help with Disease & Drought resistants because it help root grow longer or what is called Root Extension. Phosphate cause Root MASS but no lenght or extension. Root depth is more important for drought and disease recovery.

Most Turf Grass fertilization recomendations are a 4-1-2 ratio. That doesn't mean other blends are wrong. Lesco seem to feel 1-0-3 ratio is a great blend since they recommend a 9-2-24 as a summer blend in our Rainy season. Potassium Nitrate 13.75-0-46 a 1-0-3 ratio is a very popular Fert for Golf Greens and works even better on residential turf that isn't cut at 0.08 of an inch. BTW There is also a 13-3-13 and a 12-2-14 all 1-0-1 ratios. Of course these are mostly Palm and ornamental mixes that I find do a better job on turf grass because they are a slow release on K as well as N And have a better Minors Package.

As for soil tests. Have at it, but I am not in Hard Pan Ohio soil and here in Florida and our calcarious sand, elements leach out so fast that a soil test does no good.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Leo

Powdered Sulfate of Potash is soluble element and should never be applied with a spreader. obviously this thread starter has no clue. Sure Mosaic produces more granular Potassium than soluble Potassium because it is used in better blends of granular fertilizer in stead of Mutated Potassium 0-0-62 which also has high chloride.

Potassium help with Disease & Drought resistants because it help root grow longer or what is called Root Extension. Phosphate cause Root MASS but no lenght or extension. Root depth is more important for drought and disease recovery.

Most Turf Grass fertilization recomendations are a 4-1-2 ratio. That doesn't mean other blends are wrong. Lesco seem to feel 1-0-3 ratio is a great blend since they recommend a 9-2-24 as a summer blend in our Rainy season. Potassium Nitrate 13.75-0-46 a 1-0-3 ratio is a very popular Fert for Golf Greens and works even better on residential turf that isn't cut at 0.08 of an inch. BTW There is also a 13-3-13 and a 12-2-14 all 1-0-1 ratios. Of course these are mostly Palm and ornamental mixes that I find do a better job on turf grass because they are a slow release on K as well as N And have a better Minors Package.

As for soil tests. Have at it, but I am not in Hard Pan Ohio soil and here in Florida and our calcarious sand, elements leach out so fast that a soil test does no good.
The OP did not mention the use of powdered sulfate of potash.

As far as the rest I would agree with most of your response.

But you know that your soils are sandy and had very little K to begin with (in our time frame), as highly weathered soils in rainy areas tend to be low in K, but this should be determined by a soil test regardless of where you are at. A soil test will provide you an analysis of your soil texture to which many people can then based educated assumptions of nutrient management as soil textures does not change on a time-frame relevant to our management. But K does not leach from a typical mineral soil. K is held very tightly by most clays, and in fact clay is the only place that will hold K. So yes any K that you apply is quickly leached from a sandy soil, I agree. But not the case for most of the country.

To state that K causes root extension is something I am having a hard time understanding. K is considered to help with water stress because of its osmotic control and thus being able to create areas of high and low water potential (or areas of high salt concentration or low salt concentration) within the plant and thus controlling water movement. This is most often referenced with the stomata guard cells and is one reason it is considered to help with drought stress.

K does not bind with any organic molecules and therefore does not contribute directly to quantitative growth in terms of length or width etc. You did state correctly, earlier, that K remains in solution. This is why it does not directly contribute to size as opposed to other organic compounds like sugars. However, it is essential in the processes that build the plant as are all essential nutrients.

We can agree to disagree on K's response to root growth. But I think we pretty much agree on everything else. I just thought you were pretty hard on the OP.