Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-09-2011, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Hurricane Shutters

It's been a while, but someone mentioned hurricanes. If you put up hurricane shutters, how do you price the job? I have a good percentage of seasonal customers & they usually want me to provide this.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Have you put shutters on before? If so you know how long it took you. Take your time estimate multiplied by your hourly rate equals what you charge.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hate to play the legal eagle card. Are you a state licensed general contractor? In Florida there really isn't such a thing as a handyman. Your a contractor or not.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2011, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I hate to play the legal eagle card. Are you a state licensed general contractor? In Florida there really isn't such a thing as a handyman. Your a contractor or not.
Posted via Mobile Device
I had a limited maintenance license that was issued by the county. It was pretty limited in what you could do. I think you could hang hurricane shutters as long as they had already been installed. You are only hanging them then screwing on a wing nut or the like, no power tools required.

I'll post the information about the miscellaneous maintenance below.

A business that operates under such categories as property maintenance, miscellaneous maintenance,
miscellaneous repair service, etc. is very restrictive in nature. A local business tax receipt to perform these
services does not allow a licensee to enter into repair, installation or construction in the building trades or
specialty fields. The owner of this type of business needs to submit a signed Miscellaneous Maintenance
Affidavit that can be obtained from any of the Lee County Tax Collector’s offices.

AFFIDAVIT
LEE COUNTY LOCAL BUSINESS TAX RECEIPT
MISCELLANEOUS MAINTENANCE OR REPAIR & PROPERTY MAINTENANCE
STATE OF FLORIDA COUNTY OF LEE
Property Maintenance & Miscellaneous Maintenance or Repair Service, etc.
A local business tax receipt to perform these services does not allow a business to enter into repair,
installation or construction in the building trades or specialty fields. Construction, electrical, plumbing,
A/C, painting, roofing, screening or re-screening of anything other than windows, doors and lanais that
are built in the structure of the roof of the home (no aluminum work), carpentry, cabinet & millwork,
excavation, masonry, drywall & plastering, etc. In order to perform work in these trades or specialty
fields, you must obtain a State Contractor License or County Competency Card and must produce
evidence of such license at the time application is made for a local business tax receipt.
This type of local business tax receipt is very restrictive in nature; (Examples: clean out garage, hanging
drapery rods, peep hole installation, changing door knobs, replacing toilet flush kits, etc.)
Advertising in any way to conduct services for compensation without a proper local business tax receipt is
in violation of Florida Statute 205.
Florida Statute 489.127 Prohibitions, penalties. –no person shall:
• Engage in the business, advertise him/herself or act in the capacity of a contractor, or a
business organization available to engage in the business or act in the capacity of a contractor
or perform work for which a building permit is required, pursuant to part VII of chapter 553.
• Willfully or deliberately disregard or violate any municipal or county ordinance relating to
uncertified or unregistered contractors.
• Any unlicensed person who violates any provision of subsection (1) commits a misdemeanor
of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
• Any unlicensed person who commits a violation of subsection (1) after having been
previously found guilty of such violation commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as
provided in s. 775.082 or 775.083.
Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have read the foregoing document and the facts stated are true
Old 04-11-2011, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Confusing as hell ain't it? Tampa has been doing contractor stings lately. HVAC was last week. This week I think its window installers. Can't wait until they get to the pests. Craigslist provides all the offenders they want.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2011, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I sub all that out to much of a hassle.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Seriously?
Leave the hurricane shutter installs to the guys who know what they are doing. If your on this board, stick to cutting grass...
Posted via Mobile Device