Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2011, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya just spread it like a normal fertilizer, or mix it with your fertilizer. However, like mention in the other posts, timing is crucial. It must be applied 4-6 weeks before the crabgrass seeds germinate in order to kill them.

CGM has I believe a 10% slow release nitrogen already in it. Nothing big.

Ya you can always put some compost and reseed the patches that killed the weeds with vinegar, however, if your gonna do that to each weeds in a 5,000sq/f lawn, you will find it quite slow lol
Complete lawn care services
Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGauvreau View Post
Ya just spread it like a normal fertilizer, or mix it with your fertilizer. However, like mention in the other posts, timing is crucial. It must be applied 4-6 weeks before the crabgrass seeds germinate in order to kill them.

Ya you can always put some compost and reseed the patches that killed the weeds with vinegar, however, if your gonna do that to each weeds in a 5,000sq/f lawn, you will find it quite slow lol
Didn't Bill say you can overseed in 6 weeks?
... "it doesn't last 90 days more like 6 weeks that is why timing is so critical with CGM, if you are going after CG it should be applied as the soil temp is rising from 60 to 65 "

Now you're saying 4-6 weeks b4 it will begin to work? So can I sow my KBG right along with the CGM as long as it germinates and grows some within th 4 week period?

It is this kind of real world experience that makes it sound more like snake oil, all the time...
Old 04-19-2011, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, put down CGM 4-6 weeks before the time the seeds germinate. If you put it 2 late, the CGM will not have any effect and the crag grass seeds will germinate.

And if you put down KBG at the same time of CGM, i'm not sure if it will work lol, since KGB takes 14-28 days to germinate, sometimes even longer depending on the soil temp. Maybe rye grass or fescue will be able to grow faster before the CGM has any effect.
Complete lawn care services
Old 04-22-2011, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGauvreau View Post

So once the vinegar is on the weed, will it kill it right down to the route?

or should I spray with vinegar then dig it up and spread soil and seed over top?
Old 04-22-2011, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1506cmo18 View Post
So once the vinegar is on the weed, will it kill it right down to the route?

or should I spray with vinegar then dig it up and spread soil and seed over top?
Vinegar will not trans-locate into the root and kill the plant. It burns the foliage and interrupts photosynthesis. Several applications are required. Household vinegar will not do the trick, you need 20% vinegar. If you splash this stuff in your eye, you will have permanent eye damage. If you're willing to dig out the weeds, then get to work doing that, skip the vinegar.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 04-23-2011, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Member

The CGM is about 9 or 10 per cent, but the rate is like 20 lbs producct per thousand. Adds up to quite a bit of actual N per thousand doesnt it. Would you really want to add more fert to it. I am interested in comments on how well this works as for greening up the turf in the spring.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2011, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Points View Post
The CGM is about 9 or 10 per cent, but the rate is like 20 lbs producct per thousand. Adds up to quite a bit of actual N per thousand doesnt it. Would you really want to add more fert to it. I am interested in comments on how well this works as for greening up the turf in the spring.

Thanks
2 pounds of N per 1000, OH YEAH! it will green it up alright, I hope you like to mow
Old 04-24-2011, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So if I were to use this stuff for lawns, I would have my dormant seed in place or soon afte the ground is thawed, Say about: Early March, ready for it to germinate when it warms up enough. Maybe late April-Late May, depending on th weather...

Now, if the soil isn't warm enough to germinate KBG, by late May I really can't expect CG to pop until late June maybe July on this particular lawn... So possibly putting the stuff down in Mid May so its working by mid-late June is the best way to go...

Not a bad time to fertilize also, since we know that early Spring causes thatch and shallow roots...

Now the big question, When do CG germinate in your area, and how can you time it???

When the forsythia blooms...