Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-12-2010, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawi vs Honda

I blew the motor on my Ferris Hydrowalk last week and have been hunting for a new one.

The original 13hp FC401V has been discontinued, so obviously thats out of the question. Which also means that Theres going to be some custom work with any motor I end up getting.

In my hunt (mainly on smallenginewarehouse.com), Ive found:

Kawi FH430V-DS25-R $750 (+$50ish for the muffler) $53 to ship
15hp, Recoil Start, Oil Filter, 95lbs (shipping weight), 2 yr warranty

Honda GXV530QRA4 $600 (+$?? for Manifold and Muffler) $46 to ship
16hp, Recoil & Electric Start, Oil Filter, 83lbs (shipping weight), 3 yr warranty

Honda GXV610QWA $750 (+$85 for Manifold and Muffler) $120 to ship
18hp, Recoil & Electric Start, Oil Filter, 120lbs (shipping weight), 3yr warranty

They all "should" work, but thats yet to be confirmed. Obviously the 18HP Honda looks tempting, but its 25lbs heavier and ends up being about $100 more. Theres also the question of whether the rest of the mower will be able to handle an extra 5hp..or almost 40% more.

The 16hp Honda is the lightest and the least costly of the bunch, but thats not factoring the price of the manifold and muffler, yet. I cant seem to find one.

The Kawi 15hp was the one recommended by the dealer. Well..kinda. He just told me if he were doing the work it'd be the Kawi 15hp, and there's only 1 Kawi 15hp listed so I assumed its that one.

What do you guys think? One thing I noticed with the 13hp Kawi I had on there before..starting it in the cold SUCKED.

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed
2009 Big Tex 5x10 Solid Sided Trailer
Ferris & Honda Mowers
Stihl, Husqvarna & Echo Handhelds
Old 11-12-2010, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

what about the fc420v? thats probably your cheapest bet. and we have 2 on our 48s and have no problems with power.

with what you have listed i would go with the 15 kaw
Old 11-12-2010, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

The 420 is a discontinued engine. While some are available, its also a single cylinder. Every Kaw single cyl Ive ever used has sucked trying to get it to start in the cold.

Ferris & Honda Mowers
Old 11-12-2010, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't seen a FC420V in over 5 years.

I honestly think the Honda will outlast the Kawi. The 16 HP is more than enough to replace the 13.

Make sure the shaft diameters and lengths are the same. You can get a machine shop to shorten a shaft that's too long but then you're starting to spend even more money.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

wow I didnt know it was discontinued. Guess that explains why i never see them, never had a problem with them though coldstarting either
Old 11-15-2010, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom'sLandscapeDesign View Post
In my hunt (mainly on smallenginewarehouse.com), Ive found:

Kawi FH430V-DS25-R $750 (+$50ish for the muffler) $53 to ship
15hp, Recoil Start, Oil Filter, 95lbs (shipping weight), 2 yr warranty

Honda GXV530QRA4 $600 (+$?? for Manifold and Muffler) $46 to ship
16hp, Recoil & Electric Start, Oil Filter, 83lbs (shipping weight), 3 yr warranty

Honda GXV610QWA $750 (+$85 for Manifold and Muffler) $120 to ship
18hp, Recoil & Electric Start, Oil Filter, 120lbs (shipping weight), 3yr warranty
Honda GXV530 is an oddball OHC engine that I dont think they even make anymore. The GXV530 and the GCV or GSV 530/520/510 I forget which they made were built for the homeowner lawn tractor market but never caught on.

The Honda GXV610 is an old engine and no longer made anymore either. Nothing really wrong with it, just not a current model. Mufflers should be readily available.

That Kawasaki FH430V-DS25-R is built for an OEM. The -R means it is shipped on returnable rack systems. Not sure if you would run into warranty trouble with that or not. Single boxed units sold as replacements come with a -S on them. I would look for a FH430V-DS21-S which comes with a muffler.

Although not sure on your machine which muffler you may want. I have never done a Ferris Hydrowalk. Their geardrives are straight forward and easy. Their Dual Drives use a special muffler that they supply and you wont be buying one for 50 bucks from Ferris or Kawasaki.

Also if you have an electric clutch you will need a special charging system on the engine to run that if you dont have a battery/electric start. The Kawasaki I recommended above has a coil to run an electric clutch without a battery. Kawasaki sells the same engine with or without this coil for the same price so I generally stock it with the coil...

I also just noticed that Kawasaki has gone to a 3 year warranty as well. Honda went Jan 1st. Briggs Vanguard went in June or July. Kawasaki just did this month sometime I guess.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I saw an air cooled 19hp kawi last week at my dealer with 4100 hrs on it I was amazed.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
Honda GXV530 is an oddball OHC engine that I dont think they even make anymore. The GXV530 and the GCV or GSV 530/520/510 I forget which they made were built for the homeowner lawn tractor market but never caught on.

The Honda GXV610 is an old engine and no longer made anymore either. Nothing really wrong with it, just not a current model. Mufflers should be readily available.

That Kawasaki FH430V-DS25-R is built for an OEM. The -R means it is shipped on returnable rack systems. Not sure if you would run into warranty trouble with that or not. Single boxed units sold as replacements come with a -S on them. I would look for a FH430V-DS21-S which comes with a muffler.

Although not sure on your machine which muffler you may want. I have never done a Ferris Hydrowalk. Their geardrives are straight forward and easy. Their Dual Drives use a special muffler that they supply and you wont be buying one for 50 bucks from Ferris or Kawasaki.

Also if you have an electric clutch you will need a special charging system on the engine to run that if you dont have a battery/electric start. The Kawasaki I recommended above has a coil to run an electric clutch without a battery. Kawasaki sells the same engine with or without this coil for the same price so I generally stock it with the coil...

I also just noticed that Kawasaki has gone to a 3 year warranty as well. Honda went Jan 1st. Briggs Vanguard went in June or July. Kawasaki just did this month sometime I guess.
Are you a parts dealer? Im having issues finding a FH430v-DS21-S on the web

EDIT: SmallEngineWarehouse.com lists:
FH430V-DS25R
FH430V-S26R

Ferris & Honda Mowers
Old 11-19-2010, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Scored an Electric Start FH430V on ebay for $450 brandy new!
Exhaust will be $130 shipped
Im going to see if the recoil assembly on my FC401V works, but if not its only $50

$580 if I dont have to get the recoil assembly, $630 if I do. Still quite a bit cheaper than from other outlets.

Ferris & Honda Mowers
Old 11-19-2010, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom'sLandscapeDesign View Post
Scored an Electric Start FH430V on ebay for $450 brandy new!
Exhaust will be $130 shipped
Im going to see if the recoil assembly on my FC401V works, but if not its only $50

$580 if I dont have to get the recoil assembly, $630 if I do. Still quite a bit cheaper than from other outlets.
The recoil from your FC will not work and you will need more than just a recoil if the engine is not equipped with one already. Electric start only models use a different screen and have no cup for the recoil to engage. I have never added a recoil to one so not sure exactly what all you will need....