Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2011, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

We're looking for a Sales Person. Any advice?

We're looking for a either a part-time or full-time sales person to help expand our company. We are a mid-sized company servicing SW Ohio, and the Owner of the company and I are too busy to dedicate the time needed for sales. Does anyone have advice on how to find/pay a salesman? If you have gone through this yourself, how did you do it? We are considering making this person our lead designer too.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cory

Cory Wise
Project Manager,
Wise Landscaping
www.wiselandscapingcompany.com
Old 04-10-2011, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any type of outside sales I would try to pay a very low wage but a high commision. It weeds out those wanting to Milk a clock and rewards them for doing a good job. I do a percentage of profit for commission
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2011, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

We were thinking about a sliding percentage of profit pay scale. Any ideas on where to look for Green Industry salespeople?

Thanks for your reply!
Old 04-10-2011, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Greenindustryjobs.com possibly. I'm sales person. Any decent and established sales person will have something of a following, this will have value to you. Make sure you are prepared to offer decent salary, not exceptional, but enough to be attractive, and a skys the limit commision plan, the sliding scale thing is a good idea, but you have to base it on the profit of each job, not volume. Be aware that designers and sales people may not be the best estimators, if they are to esitmate their own projects you need to tie thier commision into bringing jobs in on budget. Be fair and honest, I've had unfortunate expieriences with 2 employers. For example I'll never work for a 1 time a year commision pay out again. Being owed 22K for the last 3-4 years will do that........Be ready to invest, if you grab the right salesperson, you'll have to invest in them, their benefits, comapny vehicle and equipment/labor to complete the work they sell for you. If you can't really offer the skys the limit oppurtunity you will lose your best asset within a year or so......
Old 04-10-2011, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestfireguy View Post
Greenindustryjobs.com possibly. I'm sales person. Any decent and established sales person will have something of a following, this will have value to you. Make sure you are prepared to offer decent salary, not exceptional, but enough to be attractive, and a skys the limit commision plan, the sliding scale thing is a good idea, but you have to base it on the profit of each job, not volume. Be aware that designers and sales people may not be the best estimators, if they are to esitmate their own projects you need to tie thier commision into bringing jobs in on budget. Be fair and honest, I've had unfortunate expieriences with 2 employers. For example I'll never work for a 1 time a year commision pay out again. Being owed 22K for the last 3-4 years will do that........Be ready to invest, if you grab the right salesperson, you'll have to invest in them, their benefits, comapny vehicle and equipment/labor to complete the work they sell for you. If you can't really offer the skys the limit oppurtunity you will lose your best asset within a year or so......
Thank you very much for your input. Without going into too much detail, we have a pricing standard that makes estimating very easy. It's a system that's based on data we've collected and analyzed through research and cost analysis within our company.

The salesman would have an office to work out of, and a company Ranger to drive. They would also have almost any resource they could possibly need to complete jobs they would sell.

Are there any other tips you can give? I really appreciate your input. I'd love it if you could PM me with details regarding commission and salary, too. If you would rather not, I understand.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't go with necessarily a "sales person" but a marketing rep.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Wise......

Doesn't seem you've been around long enough for PMs yet......

And I disagree with Bagher's advice. A marketing rep and a salesperson are very different. At least in my mind.

See if you can PM me, if so I'll share answer whatever I can.

But important to the point here. Establish a very clear job description, outline the hours they're expected to work, whether or not the company vehicle is a take home deal. If it is who pays for fuel on the commute. Company mobile phone, laptop, do you have a CAD program to design with or will they be drafting plans and drawings by hand, benefits, salary and commision structure. Basically make it black and white, inlcude every eventuality that is realistic. Have an attorney draft a sales covenant/non compete agreement, anyone with half a brain will demand that their following is exmept from the this, and thats OK, it's just fair.........O grey area is the desired effect. Be careful to review their references, ask for personal and business references. Be sure to have your attorney review any existing or past non compete any potnetial hires have. Run your ad for at least 2-3 weeks, lots of folks are out of work DO NOT rush your decision, and ABSOLUTELY DO NOT excced your budget for the salary end of the compensation, if you have to negotiate do it on the commision/benefits side, some people may place a great value on a take home vehicle, other may or may not need health benefits due to the spouse/partner. In closing best thing you can do is think it through with a "global perspective.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

forestfireguy-

I don't think I have the ability to PM, but I like where your head's at with how to find a sales person and create a work agreement that is cut and dry with no grey area.

I don't think I'm allowed to post an email address on a thread, but if you were to go to our website and throw your name and contact information in our employment page, I could get in touch with you that way. I appreciate your advice and would like to learn more.

www.wiselandscapingcompany.com
Old 04-16-2011, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Wise, I am a salesman at a company close to you.

I agree with going with a base pay plus commission. An example of a pay plan that would result in a win win for you and your salesman (in our area) would be:

Salary of $35,000.00 to $40,000.00 plus commissions of....
2% of gross sales on profit margins of 5%-9%
3% of gross sales on profit margins of 10%-15%
5% of gross sales on profit margins of 16%-20%
10% of gross sales on profit margins of 21%-25%
15% of gross sales on profit margins greater than 25%.

Pay 2% of residuals for ongoing maintenance after the first year.
Use above example for addon sales to existing clients.
Establish a minimum amount to pay for small one time services that are profitable.

Having someone else oversee and manage the work is to your advantage as well. That person should report to the salesman and also benefit from an incentive program based on profitability. Keeping your salesman focused 100% on sales and marketing and not having to worry about directly managing production employees and logistical issues keeps him happy and efficiently selling (equals more money for everyone).
Old 04-16-2011, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDave View Post
Wise, I am a salesman at a company close to you.

I agree with going with a base pay plus commission. An example of a pay plan that would result in a win win for you and your salesman (in our area) would be:

Salary of $35,000.00 to $40,000.00 plus commissions of....
2% of gross sales on profit margins of 5%-9%
3% of gross sales on profit margins of 10%-15%
5% of gross sales on profit margins of 16%-20%
10% of gross sales on profit margins of 21%-25%
15% of gross sales on profit margins greater than 25%.

Pay 2% of residuals for ongoing maintenance after the first year.
Use above example for addon sales to existing clients.
Establish a minimum amount to pay for small one time services that are profitable.

Having someone else oversee and manage the work is to your advantage as well. That person should report to the salesman and also benefit from an incentive program based on profitability. Keeping your salesman focused 100% on sales and marketing and not having to worry about directly managing production employees and logistical issues keeps him happy and efficiently selling (equals more money for everyone).
What are the total sales to provide compensation at those levels? And what is the sales goal for the salesman individually to remain employed and what resources are at their disposal.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
new employee , sales , sales and marketing , salesman