Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2012, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.T. View Post
LISTEN TO ME right NOW! Go onto google and start to research 6.0 Powerjokes before you buy one. When you don't understand what EGR, DPF, regen, head studs, variable vain turbos, etc means, then go back to google and search the words. There is a ton of information about the common issues that you will be able to understand. Forums everywhere talk about them, so you will get the lingo pretty quick.

It will help a ton though, because you'll know what to look for. Personally I do like them, I think its an OK motor with an awesome transmission. There are ways to make them more reliable but quite honestly I haven't seen any that are even close to being bulletproof. Know what you're buying and the price you should buy it at!
Ok! so ive done some research and im thinking about buying a scan gauge? do u think thats a good idea?

-- Specializing in Quality Lawn Care and Landscape Contracting--

21 Years Old
Old 10-20-2012, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New spreader

Got a new earthway spreader because my other one are pieces of crap and are breaking on me haha
Attached Images

21 Years Old
Old 10-20-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Brandon,
You will really like the 2170 - it's much easier to use over our 2050P units I see in the background. While it's new and dry, get some fluid film and spray the inside of all of the tubing to prevent rust. It will double the life of your spreader. I recommend removing the bolt that holds the lower handle to the frame - it's at the top of the frame just behind the hopper. At this location you can spray both parts at the same time. Make sure you spray it and rotate the spreader/parts around to ensure a decent coating - and make sure it drips out the feet on the frame and at the end point by the axle on the lower handles. Don't forget to tip the spreader back on the handle to get fluid film into that part of the lower handles too. If you can't find fluid film you can use WD-40 too.
A tip we tell everyone is to remember with all powder coated parts - we can coat the outside of tubing, but the inside is still raw steel and will rust.
Jeff K.
VP Sales & Marketing
Earthway Products, Inc.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah thats is a really good suggestion, I wish I'd done that when I got my Earthway spreader.

I'm glad you looked into it! The Scag Gauge isn't a bad idea, its cool that it monitors everything in real time. Coolant and EGT (exhaust) temps are very important to monitor. Most of the aftermarket programmers have functions like that though. My friends SCT custom tuner shuts down the truck when any temp reaches a maximum level. And it displays most of it for you to see.

Honestly I am no expert at all on diesel trucks. There is so much to know, I just hate seeing well intentioned people get into something that will end up costing them alot of money. 6.0L's and any modern diesels are not easy to work, so labor costs go skyhigh as soon as something goes.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthWayJK View Post
Brandon,
You will really like the 2170 - it's much easier to use over our 2050P units I see in the background. While it's new and dry, get some fluid film and spray the inside of all of the tubing to prevent rust. It will double the life of your spreader. I recommend removing the bolt that holds the lower handle to the frame - it's at the top of the frame just behind the hopper. At this location you can spray both parts at the same time. Make sure you spray it and rotate the spreader/parts around to ensure a decent coating - and make sure it drips out the feet on the frame and at the end point by the axle on the lower handles. Don't forget to tip the spreader back on the handle to get fluid film into that part of the lower handles too. If you can't find fluid film you can use WD-40 too.
A tip we tell everyone is to remember with all powder coated parts - we can coat the outside of tubing, but the inside is still raw steel and will rust.
Jeff K.
VP Sales & Marketing
Earthway Products, Inc.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR LOOKING OUT! thats a great tip and i will make sure i absolutely do that thanks agaiN!

[QUOTE=A.T.T.;4560648]Yeah thats is a really good suggestion, I wish I'd done that when I got my Earthway spreader.

I'm glad you looked into it! The Scag Gauge isn't a bad idea, its cool that it monitors everything in real time. Coolant and EGT (exhaust) temps are very important to monitor. Most of the aftermarket programmers have functions like that though. My friends SCT custom tuner shuts down the truck when any temp reaches a maximum level. And it displays most of it for you to see.

Honestly I am no expert at all on diesel trucks. There is so much to know, I just hate seeing well intentioned people get into something that will end up costing them alot of money. 6.0L's and any modern diesels are not easy to work, so labor costs go skyhigh as soon as something goes.[/QUOTE

Yea the diesels are crazy i have no idea what to look for in buying one thats why i need to take it to a mechanic and do all of that stuff. I really appreciate the help tho ill make sure i really go threw it and have a mechanic go threw it before i make a purchase. Thanks again!

21 Years Old
Old 10-21-2012, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Research research research. Check this out:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/96...used-6-0l.html

The suggestion about engine hours is an important one, because edling can cause some serious damage, the number of engine hours being high in relation the the odometer indicates that it idled alot through its life span.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

6.0 powerstrokes do not have dpf filters. that started in 08 and up trucks. they do have egr coolers. i have a 08 f250 that has a 6.4 for it and its great. i have also owned a 6.0 powerstroke and it was great. prooper maintenace is the key. mine had 270k on it when i sold it and it ran great. had stock head bolts but i deleted the egr cooler. delete the egr cooler and dont act stupid with the truck and you will be fine. if you do have the cash to do head studs and egr delete then them trucks are aewsome all the problems are solved. they do have weak oil coolers but flushing the coolant system and fillling back with elc coolant helps with that. any questions on the 6.0 you can go to this site powerstroke.org or ask me. im very familar with these trucks. there are not jokes, its a great truck but has flaws like every other truck. buy a duramax and have crappy injectors. already went through that and will never do it again. buy a doge, yea you get a million dollar motor with a 5 dollar truck. the truck with fall apart around the motor. not to mention terrible transmission. any questions just let me know. the 6L is a great motor dont let people who dont understand the motor give them a bad name.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

i would recommend a egde cs or cts monitor it is great. by far the most advance way to monitor these trucks
Old 10-21-2012, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How do you like the scags? Im not sure which one to buy yet either scag or exmark. Every LCO is using exmark around here.
Bad Boy ZT 50inch deck.
Stihl FS 90R
Stihl BR550 back pack blower.
Craftsman 208cc Snowblower 26''
Plus miscellaneous equipment

Solo Operation
www.baslawnservice.com
Picture Thread

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=347985
Old 10-21-2012, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Make the decision for yourself, but no the issues. I have never owned one, but I've used them frequently in the past and I have worked on them. Some people say that the flaw was in the design right from the begininning, some say it is a defect that only occurred on a certain percentage. Believe whatever you want, just no that I know of 4 different people who maintain their 6.0's exceptionally well, and still had problems.

What Gresham is saying is very very true, maintenance and not beating the crap out of it is essential. Programmers especially can do a whole lot of good to the truck, but a lot of bad also. Having the power makes you want to use it. As long as you are ready for the issues, and have the money to deal with them. If it doesn't happen, then thats awesome, it doesn't happen to everyone. It is very common though, regular maintenance and care isn't enough to cure a motor with a defect or a design flaw.