Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2011, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Seed sown on top of snow--early results. Seed was sown February 25, 2011, Scotts "High Traffic" High in Silverdollar, and Defender perennial rye. Today April 15, the early sprouts became visible. They are about 1/4 inch high. Weather has been in the 50's during the day and 30 to 40 at night, but one day hit 85 degrees. Only a few seeds sprouted so perhaps germination is low. I counted 6 sprouts.
Perhaps winter or dormant seeding might work.
You have a nicer climate than we do on this side of the Lake, evidently... Dormant seeding isn't generally done on top of snow, so it is good to see that it can also work...

I have found that the 1/2" sprouts from last fall have come back OK, but we are still trying to warm up enough for sprouts... I see the dormant seeding is stuck to the soil, in the bare areas of last fall...
Old 04-16-2011, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can sow your trials in cinder blocks painted black to provide warmer soil temps if your looking to push things along. Or stand water bottles around the containers you have them in. Even those things to warm t'maters.

What did you use for soil? Soil from your lawn or mix?
Old 04-17-2011, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And...today April 17th...9 days after sowing, Scotts "High Traffic" and planting outside in coffee mugs, with temps mostly between 37 and 52 degrees. The seed soaked for 24 hours and then dried for a few weeks, showed tiny sprouts, about 1/8 inch tall.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Imagine how quickly they would sprout in good weather on soil that stays warmer than 37 degrees at nite...
Old 04-18-2011, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So I put them near the edge of the porch for better sun exposure. And last night--sigh--snow. About an inch on top of new grass sprouts. 31 degrees--but I think new sprouts will not be harmed. Stay tuned. Yuck!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Early seeding result so far. I used store bought organic potting soil. Average high temp was 50. Low 36. Scotts "High Traffic" (high in Silver Dollar perennial rye). Seed soaked 24 hours, dried and planted outside in coffee mug, sprouted at 9 days. Seed soaked 72 hours and dried, sprouted at 15 days, (about 1/4 inch tall).
Untreated seed, no response. Untreated seed sown in garden, no response, so far.

Seed on top of snow sown in a container in February, tallest sprout now about 1 inch tall.
Seed on top of snow in February, on thin spot in shady lawn, tallest sprout now about a half-inch high.
Unseasonably cold this year, in Michigan.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Early seeding result so far. I used store bought organic potting soil. Average high temp was 50. Low 36. Scotts "High Traffic" (high in Silver Dollar perennial rye). Seed soaked 24 hours, dried and planted outside in coffee mug, sprouted at 9 days. Seed soaked 72 hours and dried, sprouted at 15 days, (about 1/4 inch tall).
Untreated seed, no response. Untreated seed sown in garden, no response, so far.

Seed on top of snow sown in a container in February, tallest sprout now about 1 inch tall.
Seed on top of snow in February, on thin spot in shady lawn, tallest sprout now about a half-inch high.
Unseasonably cold this year, in Michigan.
There is a change that seeds go through, when under water for a prolonged period of time... It is interestting that your 72 hour soaking took longer to germinate than the 24 hr. group...
Old 04-25-2011, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Early seeding and soaking result so far. Outdoors, potting soil. Temperatures as afternoon highs between 52 and 62.
24 hour soaked and dried Sprout at 9 days
72 hour soaked and dried Sprout at 15 days
Untreated control Sprout at 17 days
Untreated planted in garden no result yet
Old 04-26-2011, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And...today at 18 days the seed planted outdoors in my wife's flower garden, finally sprouted. Tallest sprouts are about a half-inch high. Temp 63 at the moment.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you happen to know what the soil temperature of the flower garden is right now?